PDA

View Full Version : Hat in hand question for the learned.

ThemBastards
05-25-2011, 9:25 AM
I have Googled, Froogled, and even Gizoogled my question and am finding conflicting/confusing answers. I have my stripped lower and am just waiting on a commission to buy my rifle kit and have a question regarding which kit I can buy- I am specifically looking for a 7.62x39 upper and Model 1 Sales seems to be the site that A) has them in stock and B) is affordable. When shopping on their site they have their kits broken up into caliber and barrel length and also Standard Kits and AWB Kits... I am assuming that AWB means assault weapons ban and when I called the lady on the phone and asked her if the AWB kits were the appropriate ones for California she told me that it is my responsibility to ask my local LE RE: the legalitly of my purchase- so basically she wouldn't answer my question. I checked the Calguns WIKI and it does not elaborate on the Pre/Post-AWB enough for my humble simple mindedness.

So my question is can I buy the Standard Kits or do I need to buy one of their AWB kits? What is the difference? I am sure this question has been asked many times but if you could help me out that would be great.

Standard Kit

http://model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=188

AWB Standard Kit

http://model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=194

Arteel
05-25-2011, 9:30 AM
The only difference is the lack of a muzzle attachment with the AWB kit. Go for the standard kit.

NorCalDustin
05-25-2011, 9:42 AM
Go with the standard kit... Remember you will need a BB or go featureless.

dieselpower
05-25-2011, 9:52 AM
As long as you are assembling a Bullet Button AR15, then you are good to go with a standard kit.

If you are looking at a possible future modification to a FEATURELESS build, then you MUST make sure the barrel has a muzzle device that is NOT a flash hider. Its just one less thing to change. If you buy a 14.5" barrel with a Permanently attached A2 Flash Hider, then you must pay a gunsmith to remove the flash hider and install a muzzle brake or comp, BEFORE using that barrel. If you buy a 16" threaded barrel, you can just unscrew and install any muzzle device you want.

To answer you question clearly, California doesn't have an AWB law as the other States. We have no law against threaded barrels on LONGARMS (only pistols), we do not have a law against Bayonet Lugs, (only carrying a unattached Bayonet concealed is a dagger or dirk), and a muzzle device must only be permanently attached if the barrel is under 16" as measured from a closed Bolt to the exposed end. (The same as the Federal Law on SBR).

Research and read PC12276, PC12276.1. PC12276.1 explains what is an AW in CA. PC12276, list AWs by make and Model. Research CCR 5495 and CCR 5499 for a complete list of AWs by name, model. They are also listed in the Flow Chart at the top of this website.

Flintlock Tom
05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Either is okay.

That appears to be a really good deal.
$535 for everything except the stripped lower?
Add a $99 lower and a $20 Bullet Button and you're ready to go for $655.

ThemBastards
05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Either is okay.

That appears to be a really good deal.
$535 for everything except the stripped lower?
Add a $99 lower and a $20 Bullet Button and you're ready to go for $655.

That is why I am going with this company- great deal. I have read good things about their E.R. Shaw barrels and Model 1 has the enhanced firing pin to help with the military surplus ammo. I can't wait.

Noobert
05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Are you ordering with a credit card?

ThemBastards
05-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Are you ordering with a credit card?

Technically ATM/Credit Card yeah. Are there issues?

dieselpower
05-25-2011, 1:31 PM
Technically ATM/Credit Card yeah. Are there issues?

search for it...I too remember a story about ATM cards and shady deals.

bwiese
05-25-2011, 1:39 PM
I'd avoid Model 1 Sales.
They're generally regarded as bottom feeders of the industry.
They do not offer chrome-lined barrels, either.

I believe Armalite and DoubleStar (J&T) may offer chrome lined barrels.

crazychinaman
05-25-2011, 1:49 PM
Stay away from Model 1 sale.Also,choose the right mags for 7.62 x39.They are picky rifles.

ThemBastards
05-25-2011, 2:14 PM
Awe man. I might just drop my AR build altogether and get an AK. I was looking forward to putting the lower together too. Maybe I will just have to buy pieces at a time to afford other companies' 7.62 uppers(if I can find any in stock) . Thanks for the heads up guys.