PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR 15 Upper

Striper 05
05-25-2011, 8:17 AM
Are pre-ban Colt Ar-15 A2 HBar uppers CA legal?

dieselpower
05-25-2011, 9:10 AM
all uppers are legal, only the Lower roll mark is Identified. After that its up to the features of the rifle.

QuarterBoreGunner
05-25-2011, 9:54 AM
Completely legal. Uppers are just parts and can be purchased online and delivered directly to you and do not require any special paperwork.

The sticky part is when you start contemplating putting it on any particular lower.

At that point I strongly suggest checking the flow chart here:
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Remember that the lower (the serial numbered part) is what determines what the rifle actually *is* for legal purposes.

Striper 05
05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys.

Flintlock Tom
05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes. Legal.

But the comments from others brings up a question that I have wondered about, but not lost any sleep over:
When someone asks "what kind of rifle is that?" depending on what I've got in my hand it might be: Winchester model 94 or Browning A5 shotgun or Mosin Nagant 91/30. But if I'm holding one of my AR "style rifles" what do I say?
I could say "it's an AR style rifle", but they probably already know that. Or I could say it's a McKay Industries receiver with a Stag Arms upper, but that seems cumbersome and slightly pretentious.
Since the lower receiver is "legally" "the firearm" I guess it's technically a McKay Industries AR15. But nobody is going to know, or care what that is. The part that makes or breaks it as a rifle is the BCG and the barrel and how well they work together.
I'm just wondering what others say to this question.

Sorry for the thread-jack.:o

762.DEFENSE
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
all uppers are legal, only the Lower roll mark is Identified. After that its up to the features of the rifle.

My thoughts exactly.

IEShooter
05-25-2011, 12:33 PM
When someone asks "what kind of rifle is that?" depending on what I've got in my hand it might be: Winchester model 94 or Browning A5 shotgun or Mosin Nagant 91/30. But if I'm holding one of my AR "style rifles" what do I say?

I just say, "it's a PWS gas piston upper on a Mega lower". I hear this question asked often at ranges and that seems to be how most people identify their frankengun.