PDA

View Full Version : Shot My New .308 AR Yesterday For The First Time...

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 8:08 AM
I gotta say, you sure can feel the power in that rifle! I've heard guys say that .308 AR's dont kick much more than AR-15's, but I gotta tell you, at least with my setup, it kicks like a mule! I have the DPMS AP4 16" carbine upper with the standard A2 flash hider, standard .308 buffer and spring, carbine buffer tube, and chrome lined carrier.

My reloads went well, using an assortment of random once-fired brass spitting 150 Hornady FMJ-BT bullets with 43 gr of Ramshot TAC, ignited by CCI 200 primers. These rounds went without a hitch, although I only reloaded 20 of them. I then tried some retail American Tactical 150 gr 7.62x51 rounds, and just about every other one jammed up! Absolute garbage. My carrier was short stroking big time with these rounds. Last time I buy them...(too bad...they are cheap! $9.95 for 20)

I dont have a dedicated scope yet, so I swapped the Eotech off of my AR-15 temporarily to try it out. It was high and right, but still on paper so I didnt try to zero it. Once I get a dedicated optic/scope for it, I'll see how accurate this beast really is. Along with the optic will be another "first order of business": A muzzle brake. Not sure which direction I want to go here, but it is DEFINITELY needed for CQB/rapid fire.

Anyone have any suggestions on "tuning" .308 AR's to make them feel a bit more tamed down? Maybe different spring weights? Different buffers? Effective brakes? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bigbird19
05-25-2011, 8:21 AM
:useless:

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 8:33 AM
:useless:

Oh fine :)

I've posted it up before, though....

http://www.rcmill.com/ryan/guns/lr308.jpg

osis32
05-25-2011, 8:34 AM
I've heard similar things and am stoked to shoot mine for the first time. I'm definitely interested in the suggestions you get for brakes. Is it fun to shoot at least?

VaderSpade
05-25-2011, 8:55 AM
I have broken in several .308 uppers. DPMS uppers are tight from the factory and many will short stroke until they break in a little. Run them wet.
DPMS mags suck, P-mags are the best.
Try the cheap ammo again after you’ve sent about 300 rounds down range.

Bigbird19
05-25-2011, 9:11 AM
How does the eotech hold up to the .308

SixPointEight
05-25-2011, 9:18 AM
Probably the most BAMF KISS gun I've ever seen haha.

Nathan Krynn
05-25-2011, 9:50 AM
I love the lower.

It is a little hard to tune the DPMS ones.

I get a barrel without a gas port and drill my own and drill it under sized, test and work it up until it functions flawlessly. I also use a lightened BCG and a different buffer and spring. Then they are lighter then an AR-15, hard to get a stock one lighter.

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Is it fun to shoot at least?

Absolutely :D

I have broken in several .308 uppers. DPMS uppers are tight from the factory and many will short stroke until they break in a little. Run them wet.
DPMS mags suck, P-mags are the best.
Try the cheap ammo again after you’ve sent about 300 rounds down range.

I need to take back my PMag...the follower is jamming up (not very anti-tilt'ish :( ). Thanks for the suggestion on the ammo though....i'll break it in some more before trying that stuff again.

Perfectly. No issues whatsoever. Just gotta make sure you sinch down the screw like none other ;)

Probably the most BAMF KISS gun I've ever seen haha.

LOL, thanks! It wont stay that way forever though.....I have plans :)

I love the lower.

I get a barrel without a gas port and drill my own and drill it under sized, test and work it up until it functions flawlessly. I also use a lightened BCG and a different buffer and spring. Then they are lighter then an AR-15, hard to get a stock one lighter.

Hmm....wonder why you like it so much :rolleyes:

Can you tell me what parts you changed out and what you put in instead? Brand name, place of purchase, etc. I'd really like to lighten this thing up a bit, if possible. It's about 9.6 lbs with eotech and empty mag inserted. No way mine could ever be lighter than my AR-15 though.....not with the meaty AP4 barrel (bull barrel under the handguard....hides it's weight well :D ).

IEShooter
05-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Nice looking rifle. I built mine last year and like you went through a lot of fact (and opinion) finding before choosing my upper, lower and mags hoping to avoid FTE's and FTF's which seem to be common with .308 AR's.

I went with a Fulton, Titan Lite upper with a Bennie Cooley muzzle brake. The brake is very effective at reducing felt recoil and muzzle flip. My neighbor and I were shooting it this weekend. I was at the bench next to him and the blast would blow my jacket around. It is very loud, but also effective and I'm very happy with it.

Here's a pic of the rifle and a second one with a close up of the brake.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/Custom%20Built%20308%20AR/20101016_0532.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/Custom%20Built%20308%20AR/20101016_0535.jpg

After talking with a bunch of folks, I opted for a POF lower and PMags to round it out.

This combination works extremely well for me and so far I've not experienced a single FTF or FTE with over 500 rounds fired. I mainly shoot mil surplus stuff. At the moment I'm shooting some German stuff but have shot 5-6 different kinds and it eats them all just fine.

You might give the Pmags a try.

Currently, I'm running the standard, cheapo trigger that came with the LPK. I intend to change it out for a better one. Even with the lame trigger, the gun is capable of some serious accuracy.

Hope this helps.

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Nice looking rifle. I built mine last year and like you went through a lot of fact (and opinion) finding before choosing my upper, lower and mags hoping to avoid FTE's and FTF's which seem to be common with .308 AR's.

I went with a Fulton, Titan Lite upper with a Bennie Cooley muzzle brake. The brake is very effective at reducing felt recoil and muzzle flip. My neighbor and I were shooting it this weekend. I was at the bench next to him and the blast would blow my jacket around. It is very loud, but also effective and I'm very happy with it.

<snip for smaller footprint>

After talking with a bunch of folks, I opted for a POF lower and PMags to round it out.

This combination works extremely well for me and so far I've not experienced a single FTF or FTE with over 500 rounds fired. I mainly shoot mil surplus stuff. At the moment I'm shooting some German stuff but have shot 5-6 different kinds and it eats them all just fine.

Currently, I'm running the standard, cheapo trigger that came with the LPK. I intend to change it out for a better one. Even with the lame trigger, the gun is capable of some serious accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Nice lookin schtick! I like that brake too, but I am concerned about how loud it would be. I really like my AR-15 Battlecomp 2.0, and now they make one for .308 cal, but dang...$200 for a stupid brake? I dont think so...

I currently have a PMag (as per pic) and so far i'm not impressed. Hopefully it's a dud, because I LOVE the AR-15 PMags. The .308 PMag's follower is sticking and not nearly an "anti-tilt" follower.....I can press on the back or the front and it tilts nearly 45 degrees! Caused a jam with the bad ammo, but ran flawlessly with my reloaded stuff. Ima take it in to SBR (where I bought it) and see what they say about it.

motorwerks
05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I love the lower.

Show off. LOL :D

csterl
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
The BABC is pricey but in my experience it will be your best bet for bringing that thing under control, a BABC did wonders for me on a LMT MWS.

IEShooter
05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I currently have a PMag (as per pic) and so far i'm not impressed. Hopefully it's a dud, because I LOVE the AR-15 PMags. The .308 PMag's follower is sticking and not nearly an "anti-tilt" follower.....I can press on the back or the front and it tilts nearly 45 degrees! Caused a jam with the bad ammo, but ran flawlessly with my reloaded stuff. Ima take it in to SBR (where I bought it) and see what they say about it.

Sorry, didn't notice you already have the Pmags. Mine did exactly the same thing when I bought them. In fact, I noticed it while I was standing at the counter at Rifle Gear buying them. The sales guy said they can be sticky at first and that they recommend squirting a little CLP down into them.

I took his advice, squirted a little in there, let it drip out, and sure enough, they no longer hang up and run the ammo just fine.

As you can see from the date on the pics, its been about over 7 months and I've probably shot about 500-800 rounds through them. They are the only mags I own for it.

EDIT: BTW, the Ben-Cooley muzzle brake is pretty loud, so if that's a concern, it may not be the best choice. My Hakim and M44 are louder, but this seems to be significantly louder than my M1A Scout. If I had to guess, it's about the same as a Socom. Very effective though, and the felt recoil isn't much more than an AR-15. In fact, my neighbor's 8 year old put 4 magazines through it just fine.

Good luck!!!!!

762.DEFENSE
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM

+1 also interested!

762.DEFENSE
05-25-2011, 12:16 PM

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/Custom%20Built%20308%20AR/20101016_0532.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/Custom%20Built%20308%20AR/20101016_0535.jpg

Hope this helps.

Great looking rifle bro!

Nathan Krynn
05-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Hmm....wonder why you like it so much :rolleyes:

Can you tell me what parts you changed out and what you put in instead? Brand name, place of purchase, etc. I'd really like to lighten this thing up a bit, if possible. It's about 9.6 lbs with eotech and empty mag inserted. No way mine could ever be lighter than my AR-15 though.....not with the meaty AP4 barrel (bull barrel under the handguard....hides it's weight well :D ).

LOL, I hope you like it too though, seriously I do.

I was referring to recoil when I was talking about it earlier.

An EOTECH should hold up fine, I have seen them on M2's and Mini-guns.

For weight .308 AR's are heavy. I like TRX extreme and a light 16" barrel with a collapsible stock with an aimpoint. That one is fun.

I also like a SPR MKII-MOD0 look alike rifle in .308. That really isnt that light.

Those are my favorites, but they are in 2 places in the state and I cant get you pix right now.

Knife Edge
05-25-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm partial to the PWS brake on my OBR. I can observe the bullet hit with 14x magnification, very tame. Of course she's a pig with a Mark 4, bipod and PRS stock.

rareair
05-25-2011, 12:56 PM
DPMS uppers are tight from the factory and many will short stroke until they break in a little. Run them wet.

What do you mean by "short stroke" I brought out my .308 for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was firing single shot :confused: It seemed as though the bolt didn't travel back far enough to load the next round into the chamber properly. Is this a symptom of "short stroke"?
Being as my bolt is Chromed, I didn't bother lubricating it too much. Any other advise?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2142Large-1.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/RareAirResto/Armory/DSC_2144Large.jpg

Nathan Krynn
05-25-2011, 1:06 PM
What do you mean by "short stroke" I brought out my .308 for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was firing single shot :confused: It seemed as though the bolt didn't travel back far enough to load the next round into the chamber properly. Is this a symptom of "short stroke"?
Being as my bolt is Chromed, I didn't bother lubricating it too much. Any other advise?

Are you sure you have the proper buffer and spring.

I see a lot of what your describing with people using AR-15 buffers and springs.

Knife Edge
05-25-2011, 1:20 PM

Buffer spring is too light or buffer too heavy for light loads? Had my OBR hangup a few times with FGMM, most of it's a function of breaking the rifle in when they are new. As far as light loads, it stay away from those with a .308 gas gun.

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 1:29 PM
+1 also interested!

Well, I answered it in post #9, but it was kind of hidden amongst my mass response to like, 5 other posts ;)

The Eotech held up perfectly. No drifting, no loosening, acted just the same as on my non-recoiling AR-15. Eotechs are built up like tanks, anyhow, and can pretty much withstand most hits other than straight drops to cement. So my thinking is that a little recoil aint gonna hurt it much.

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 1:33 PM
LOL, I hope you like it too though, seriously I do.

I was referring to recoil when I was talking about it earlier.

An EOTECH should hold up fine, I have seen them on M2's and Mini-guns.

For weight .308 AR's are heavy. I like TRX extreme and a light 16" barrel with a collapsible stock with an aimpoint. That one is fun.

I also like a SPR MKII-MOD0 look alike rifle in .308. That really isnt that light.

Those are my favorites, but they are in 2 places in the state and I cant get you pix right now.

Oh yeah, I love it. Upper is SUPER tight too, a little too tight actually....so much so that I cant take out the rear take-down pin without using a tap! But I'd rather have this than a loose, rickety upper/lower match.

Were you able to find those parts that you were talking about to make it lighter and function a bit more smoothly? (spring, buffer and Carrier).

Still cant wait 'till you come out with the elusive "matching upper". I'll be switching out the DPMS upper, stat!

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 1:41 PM
What do you mean by "short stroke" I brought out my .308 for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was firing single shot :confused: It seemed as though the bolt didn't travel back far enough to load the next round into the chamber properly. Is this a symptom of "short stroke"? Being as my bolt is Chromed, I didn't bother lubricating it too much. Any other advise?

Short stroking is symptomatic of either too light of loads, too small of a gas hole drilled into the barrel, gas leak at the block or from a hole in the gas tube, or a really gritty and rough BCG (it's gotta be REALLY bad). The end result is that the carrier does not move far back enough to properly load a new cartridge or worse, properly extract expended case. Here's a way to test: Load up one round in your mag and shoot it. If your bolt locks back into the buffer tube properly, then your not short stroking.

Since your gun is new, I would definitely lube up the interior of the buffer tube and on the body of the buffer, at least until it breaks in. On the crappy rounds that I shot, I had multiple non-chamberings, where I would pull the trigger and nothing happens (no cartridge loaded into the chamber). And I know I ordered the correct spring and buffer (labeled DPMS .308 carbine). Soon as I popped in some of my reloaded rounds, problems completely went away.

Nathan Krynn
05-25-2011, 1:44 PM
Yeah we had to stop prototyping for the for see able future as it shuts down production on the .308 mills and then we get back ordered, that we cant have again.

We are getting a VF-4SS delivered in June and that should help.

We had springs made for us, we also made .308 buffers that are lighter then the DPMS. Also I use a JP lightened BCG but you have to tune the gun to run it on most guns. That is why we make our .308 barrels with small gas posrts so we can drill them and tune the gas port to the ammo and gun. Then the recoil is nothing, but the overall weights isn't much changed from original, just recoil.

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 2:21 PM
Yeah we had to stop prototyping for the for see able future as it shuts down production on the .308 mills and then we get back ordered, that we cant have again.

We are getting a VF-4SS delivered in June and that should help.

We had springs made for us, we also made .308 buffers that are lighter then the DPMS. Also I use a JP lightened BCG but you have to tune the gun to run it on most guns. That is why we make our .308 barrels with small gas posrts so we can drill them and tune the gas port to the ammo and gun. Then the recoil is nothing, but the overall weights isn't much changed from original, just recoil.

Nathan, say it aint so!

Well, hopefully you can get that machine up and running soon. June is not but 6 days around the corner.....

Tuning the gun sounds very tempting, but sounds like a lot of work (and $$$).

rareair
05-25-2011, 7:14 PM
Buffer spring is too light or buffer too heavy for light loads? Had my OBR hangup a few times with FGMM, most of it's a function of breaking the rifle in when they are new. As far as light loads, it stay away from those with a .308 gas gun.

Short stroking is symptomatic of either too light of loads....

What is exactly is considered a "light load"? I was using DAG Mfg., Germany 1990's Production. 7.62 x 51mm NATO 147 gr. FMJBT Ball DM111. Brass Case, Brass Berdan Primer, Non-Corrosive. Is this stuff considered "light load"?
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/AMM-727_A.jpg

rareair
05-25-2011, 7:15 PM
Here's a way to test: Load up one round in your mag and shoot it. If your bolt locks back into the buffer tube properly, then your not short stroking.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup: I'll be heading to the range again this Friday. This time I will be using American Eagle 155gr. Would this still be considered a "light load"
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/337/337584.jpg

emy
05-25-2011, 8:51 PM
Hey goodlookin1 , I just got done with my 308 pistol if your in LA your welcome to try my 308, this pistol has a recoil same as my 223 pistol.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248714_207042582668038_100000868943084_527410_8294 818_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/229408_205443126161317_100000868943084_516830_6277 457_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224275_205414332830863_100000868943084_516685_7198 673_n.jpg
SOLAR TACTICAL muzzle brake

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Sweet setup, emy! Nice lower, too! :)

I live up north in the Sacramento area, so the chances of me being down in the LA area are very slim. But if I ever am, I'd definitely hit up the range with you!

Can you tell me what internal parts you have going on in that beast? Looks like you have a serious brake on the tip.....probably helps the recoil quite a bit :cheers2:

motorwerks
05-26-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm in Roseville and you're welcome to try mine out. :D

What Rail is on that pistol?

mnguyen84
05-26-2011, 12:39 AM
308 isn't that bad. i shoot a 300wsm, and I've learned to manage its recoil. if you're shouldering it right and tight and your body is positioned correctly, the recoil should feel like it's passing through your body...as opposed to kicking you in the shoulder.

motorwerks
05-26-2011, 12:48 AM
I guess I suck at recoil management mine kicks me like a mule.

r6raff
05-26-2011, 1:04 AM
This thread is making me want to build a .308 jack hammer... Damn you Cal-Guns, my kids will go to public school because of you all =P LOL

motorwerks
05-26-2011, 1:06 AM
This thread is making me want to build a .308 jack hammer... Damn you Cal-Guns, my kids will go to public school because of you all =P LOL
Private schools suck anyway. :D

r6raff
05-26-2011, 1:15 AM
Private schools suck anyway. :D

HAHAHA, No doubt, money is probably better spent on weapons and ammo anyways :chris: My kids won't be able to spell, but they will be able to make head shots at 300meters with irons

emy
05-26-2011, 2:32 AM
Private sch. wont let you wear a cap with a gun embroidered on them.
On the pistol It's 80% lower , a DPMS upper rec. The barrel was cut down from 16 to 12. I'm using a solar tactical brake , i think thats where all the recoil was cut down, I also used a DPMS LPK with a GEISSELLE AAE trigger. The hand gaurd is JD. Iron sight is MI low profile ant the EOTECH is the EXPS2 and seems to be holding up to the 308. I"ve shoot about 400rds so far using PMC and some Milsurp. I just receive a case of that German 147gr from JG and will try this weekend. I had one stuck ,case but maybe because of the ammo. and still breaking in the gun, so now i clean the chamber every 50rds. I've got three diff. mags DPMS , PMAG , 5rd Cproduct no issue with any of the mag. If any CALGUN member see this 308 at the LA range and want to try it just let me know . You might like it and become addict like me, getting up at 2:30am to post in CALGUN. lol
PS. see you at the range.

This picture on a night shoot at Angeles Range with the 308 PISTOL

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228164_206526962719600_100000868943084_523903_3803 638_n.jpg
(chk thread GREAT BALLS OF FIRE)

goodlookin1
05-26-2011, 6:40 AM
I'm in Roseville and you're welcome to try mine out. :D

What Rail is on that pistol?

We should go to Lincoln sometime and......compare our schticks (that just sounds gross :eek:). I live in Rocklin, less than a mile from SBR :D

motorwerks
05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
We should go to Lincoln sometime and......compare our schticks (that just sounds gross :eek:). I live in Rocklin, less than a mile from SBR :D

I just happen to be a member... damn that sounds kinda gay (not that there's anything wrong with gay people) too. I'm trying to get a few people together Saturday morning. I'll move this over to PM to conserve clutter though.

motorwerks
05-26-2011, 10:59 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248714_207042582668038_100000868943084_527410_8294 818_n.jpg

I still want to know what rail is on this thing.

Dan-0-
05-26-2011, 11:07 PM
It is a JD handguard.

motorwerks
05-26-2011, 11:33 PM
It is a JD handguard.

Didnt know them were building handguards thanks!

goodlookin1
05-27-2011, 7:18 AM
Didnt know them were building handguards thanks!

They're nice, but pretty expensive....especially when you have to buy a single $70 rail! Just imagine if you wanted to make it a quad rail....Your out the door for like $400.

Not worth it, IMO.

emy
05-29-2011, 2:11 AM
The rail is from JD ,and it's not 70each I paid 17 bucks each. The $70 must be for the set (4).

goodlookin1
05-29-2011, 7:24 PM
The rail is from JD ,and it's not 70each I paid 17 bucks each. The $70 must be for the set (4).

Oops! My bad, I was thinkin you meant JP Enterprises....

motorwerks
05-29-2011, 9:58 PM
Oops! My bad, I was thinkin you meant JP Enterprises....

Christ you're right. Thats just for the long one on top. The others are like $28.00 Its not all that bad really the handgaurds are pretty reasonable and super solid and if I remember correctly you get like 10% off if you order then together.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTR-R

Federalist
05-30-2011, 9:08 AM
For a muzzle brake on the .308, take a look at JP Tactical Compensators - Standard Profile (http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php) I just put one on mine and took it to the range on Saturday. Wow! Really does a great job. And the price is pretty reasonable.

Also, +1 for the JD Machine handguard pictured above. I also have one on my .308. It is really light, but rock solid. It is a nice, lightweight, and affordable alternative to a quad rail - especially when you want a free float handguard but don't need to hand lots of stuff on it.

jkasandiego
05-30-2011, 10:02 AM

I have the same set up as you're rig. Extra lube and and it will be fine.
My optimal load for this rifle is 43 grain varget pushing a 168 smk.

rareair
05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
I went back out to the range last Friday. For the first 10 rounds, the rifle was feeding fine. I reloaded and, once again, had to manually chamber my ammo after nearly every shot. This happened 3-4 times per 10rnd mags. :confused: I'm hoping it's FTF problem that can be alleviated by changing to another magazine

On a side note, it was grouping 4" from 300yrds. I was getting frustrated so didn't take the time to really dial in the optic :(

Rock6.3
05-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Are you running the bolt carrier group wet or dry? (I had to oil mine)

goodlookin1
05-30-2011, 11:40 AM
I went back out to the range last Friday. For the first 10 rounds, the rifle was feeding fine. I reloaded and, once again, had to manually chamber my ammo after nearly every shot. This happened 3-4 times per 10rnd mags. :confused: I'm hoping it's FTF problem that can be alleviated by changing to another magazine

On a side note, it was grouping 4" from 300yrds. I was getting frustrated so didn't take the time to really dial in the optic :(

Was this the American Eagle ammo? Or the German stuff?

I'd give it one more try with a single box of a different brand. If it happens again, and you have made sure you're running it REALLY wet, then it's probably something with your spring/buffer combination. My guess is that your buffer isnt heavy enough and the spring is an AR15 spring.

Where did you buy your buffer and spring from? Is it a rifle length stock kit? Whatever is going on, one thing's for sure: The BCG is not being pushed back far enough into the buffer tube, so as to allow the bolt face to push another round into the chamber.

If it is a rifle length buffer tube, then I'd go with these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=913498

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=797669

If it is a carbine length buffer tube, go with these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=813595

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=232006

My stock and buffer assembly is the Carbine commercial buffer with the Carbine spring and buffer listed just above. I can 99% guarantee you that this is the problem. If you KNOW without a doubt that you have the right combination, then i'd start looking at the barrel, the gas tube and the gas block: Either there is a leak at the gas block and is not allowing enough gas pressure to push the BCG back fully, or it could be that your barrel was drilled with too small a hole. Unless you had the proper tools, you would have to take the barrel in and have the hole measured and checked against the standard "correct" sized hole.

One more thing24035......I have not seen it happen before so it would be pretty rare, but it is not outside the realm of possibility: The gas system could be blocked by a chunk of brass or some other obstruction. Maybe check that out if all else fails.

rareair
05-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Are you running the bolt carrier group wet or dry? (I had to oil mine)

I applied a decent coat of Hoppe's gun lube

rareair
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Was this the American Eagle ammo? Or the German stuff?

It happened using both types of ammo.

Where did you buy your buffer and spring from? Is it a rifle length stock kit? Whatever is going on, one thing's for sure: The BCG is not being pushed back far enough into the buffer tube, so as to allow the bolt face to push another round into the chamber.

I purchase both my DPMS rifle length spring & buffer from Parallax Tactical. The buffer does look like this-
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/913/913498.jpg

So I'm lead to believe I have the proper part. I'll try buying a different spring

If you KNOW without a doubt that you have the right combination, then i'd start looking at the barrel, the gas tube and the gas block: Either there is a leak at the gas block and is not allowing enough gas pressure to push the BCG back fully, or it could be that your barrel was drilled with too small a hole. Unless you had the proper tools, you would have to take the barrel in and have the hole measured and checked against the standard "correct" sized hole.

One more thing......I have not seen it happen before so it would be pretty rare, but it is not outside the realm of possibility: The gas system could be blocked by a chunk of brass or some other obstruction. Maybe check that out if all else fails.

I will check for these possible problems. Thanks

goodlookin1
05-30-2011, 1:48 PM
Are you positive you have a rifle length buffer tube? If you have a carbine length buffer tube with a rifle length buffer, the BCG will not travel back far enough to chamber a new round. To test, insert an empty magazine. When you pull the CH all the way back, the bolt face should clear the back of the bolt catch by at least 1/4 - 1/2". I know, this sounds like a stupid question, but I have to ask to rule out the possibility. Of course, you are manually able to chamber the round, so this shouldnt be the problem.

I have never had to use a rifle length buffer, so I dont know how heavy it is. I would assume that since it is so much longer than the carbine, it would be heavier. But, they probably use different materials and whatnot to get the same weight. If it IS much heavier, this is probably the reason it is not cycling correctly.....it's too heavy of a buffer and/or too stiff of a spring with the given amount of gas coming through the system.

If you know anyone with a DPMS .308 lower, ask if you can slap on your upper to test and see if your upper works with the new lower. If it does, then you know it's something to do with your buffer tube, buffer and spring setup. If it doesnt work, then you know it's your upper.