PDA

View Full Version : .

jeep7081
05-25-2011, 6:38 AM
delete

SnWnMe
05-25-2011, 7:35 AM
The -1 has a beefier slide. NFI about values. I reckon anything 45 and US made is worth at least $500

sneather
05-25-2011, 7:47 AM
You are talking about the Smith & Wesson 4506, right?
Why would it be on the roster? They don't make that gun any longer.

sneather
05-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Huh. Interesting. When did they stop producing the 4506?

I have one I bought new over twenty-years ago. The thing is indestructible. Tens of thousands of rounds, and I have never replaced a singe part. Not even a spring.

wilshire1412
05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
The difference between the 4506 and the 4506-1 was the change over to MIM parts such as the trigger and hammer. The early guns had flash chrome forged parts, the MIM parts are black.

Midian
05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
4506-1 always has a different trigger guard. Mine is built like a goddamn tank. Solid, solid steel hand cannon. Eats anything I feed it then and spits out the bones. Awesome guns.

bwiese
05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I have two 4506 guns, zero 4506-1 guns, and one 1006 in 10mm.

I love the big "3rd Gen" S&Ws.

The original 4506 is STILL ON THE ROSTER as of today. The derivative 4506-1 is not on the Roster, however. S&W is kind enough to maintain status of many CA Rostered handguns even though they are not in production, esp if there is a large enough market for them (LE resales moving to ordinary citizens, for example).

[It will be difficult to "single shot" these non-Rostered guns to bypass Rostering, simply because of reduced spare barrel avaialbility - i.e, not a ton of 3rd party cheap parts for these guns, unlike Glocks & 1911s].

The 4506 has a 'hooked' triggerguard and is a transition from the older (lower quality) 645. I had a 645 and hated it/got rid of it - not that accurate, and didn't like other than ammo w/FMJ RN bullets.

By contrast the 4506s run like a champ - eat a wide variety of ammo, are as accurate as you are, etc.

bwiese
05-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Someone said the 4506-1 is heavier. They made the frame stronger as it now shares the same as the 10mm. Also the sights are better?

There appear to be various sight combinations on both models of 4506.

Not sure how common some are or aren't.

Don't expect just because you get a 4506 or 4506-1 that you'll be guaranteed to get a certain sight type. (Hell, the prior owner coulda changed 'em out anyway.)

bwiese
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
The gun I really want is a 4505 !

That's a rarer blued-steel version.

Also there seems to be (coming real soon now) 40S&W and 357Sig conversion barrels for the 10mm 1006 pistol.
This makes it a good 'travelling gun' because you should be able to get some kinda ammo anywhere you travel in US.

bwiese
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
You can still get parts for the 4506-1 though correct? or did I miss understand?

S&W is VERY good about service.

These are fairly common guns still in police service including LAPD.

No gun company is gonna let a owners of a large fleet of guns down, otherwise they devalue their future production.

They're also built like tanks so other than an extractor or spring at worst, the gun will likely outlast you. 45ACP is not that hard on a gun anyway.

bwiese
05-25-2011, 1:19 PM
To be clear. If I sell my family member (who qualifies) a firearm from California to another state. Roster nor a FFL dealer is required.

NO! If that family member is not in CA, it MUST to go thru an FFL in HIS state.

In general, guns can't run between residents of different states without use of an FFL at the destination - otherwise the Feds/ATF get really upset.

But, if a family member (who qualifies) sells me a firearm from out of state into California then again roster doesn't apply. But, I do need a FFL dealer in California to receive it?

This is called 'interstate intrafamily' transfer.

The participating parties are restricted to lineal family members: grandparent, parent, child, grandchild... no uncles, cousins, step-parents, etc.

A CA FFL *is* required to keep the Feds happy, but since it's intrafamily, California exempts the xfer from the Roster. Not all FFLs know this exemption, so it's important to work with a knowledgeable FFL in your area.

The supplying relative should give you a letter, "I want my son, Joe Gunnie, to have this Colt Python, blued, 4" barrel, serial # 123456. Signed, Bob Gunnie <date>". The CA FFL will keep a copy of this gift letter in his files should the Roster exemption be questioned during a DOJ audit.