PDA

View Full Version : marlin vs savage bolt guns

afcbasser
05-25-2011, 1:48 AM
ok, so i'm considering purchasing a bolt action rimfire (.17HMR) for honing my long range accuracy.

I see alot of savages [93R17] listed here, and a few marlins [917].
I've fired a couple savage bolts and was impressed with the accutrigger as well as the accuracy at 100yds.
i have no experience with marlin bolts, but know that the 917 has become popular with the longrange precision and accurizing/tuning crowd.

So, any thoughts? does the marlin t900 trigger assembly stand up to savage's accutrigger?

Has anyone noticed if either brand excels at other accuracy inducing aspects of manufacture such as correct head spacing, proper bolt face/ breech alignment, bedding methods, etc?

Does anyone think one barrel is superior to the other?

I know this is alot, thanks guys!

dominic
05-25-2011, 3:31 AM
Question aside, how is a .17hmr going to hone your long range accuracy? Its maximum pbr is only about 160 yds. It is not considered a long range caliber. OK having asked that obvious question now, go with the Savage.

afcbasser
05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
ughhh. it's as long range as rimfire gets. This is the rimfire forum.
And ya, i came to the same conclusion after reading some comparative reviews.

Kryptyde
05-26-2011, 2:33 PM
You may also want to step up a little in quality/accuracy and consider a CZ 452 in .17HMR.

Izzy43
05-26-2011, 7:26 PM
You may also want to step up a little in quality/accuracy and consider a CZ 452 in .17HMR.

Well said. You can't go wrong with a CZ. More money, but a lot more rifle. I think there is one now that has a 22lr and a 17hmr barrel that can be easily swapped. Now that's worth considering.

shakeyjake
05-27-2011, 6:45 AM
Savage++++++++