PDA

View Full Version : UK's "unicorn" AR-15 mod

mossy
05-24-2011, 6:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsDqE9j3bzI

the UK might have done something useful for CA guns

is there any way we can get one of theses mods in CA. it would turn the rifle into a bolt action, so we could legally use a standard mag release and legal full cap mags with a pistol grip. i dont think they are legal in the UK anymore but they could find a new home in CA if someone would make them.

vintagearms
05-24-2011, 6:47 PM
Interesting. Maybe for blowback only?

tomd1584
05-24-2011, 6:50 PM
Slamming the bolt forward everytime would get old reeeeaaaalllyyyy quick.

themailman
05-24-2011, 6:51 PM
You want to fight harder for more neutered guns? How about fighting to get rid of the BB and have CA equal to the rest of the United States?

hellraiser
05-24-2011, 6:55 PM
Never even heard of these...nice find! Doesn't seem like that much of a hassle. You could actually get real quick with practice. Wonder what the legalities of this thing would be?

mossy
05-24-2011, 7:05 PM
You want to fight harder for more neutered guns? How about fighting to get rid of the BB and have CA equal to the rest of the United States?

BB's and AWB in CA are not going away any time soon if ever. using a "unicorn" mod would let you use full cap mags with evil features, something you cannot do with a BB or MMG.

mossy
05-24-2011, 7:06 PM
Slamming the bolt forward everytime would get old reeeeaaaalllyyyy quick.

you did not watch the video did you.

glock_this
05-24-2011, 7:06 PM
no matter what, given we do live in locked down CA at the end of the day, it is certainly a slick idea

Cokebottle
05-24-2011, 7:13 PM
Just remove your gas key, gas tube, and solder the gas block closed.

You now have a bolt action AR.

There's a pump-action AK that's been listed in the marketplace for almost 2 years.
You can also do a bolt action AK similarly... remove the piston and block the gas port.

dieselpower
Interesting, its a last round bolt hold open on every shot.... so its NOT a semi-auto.

So you would NOT need a BB and could use Large capacity magazines, with a pistol grip and collapsing stock.

dieselpower
Just remove your gas key, gas tube, and solder the gas block closed.

You now have a bolt action AR.

There's a pump-action AK that's been listed in the marketplace for almost 2 years.
You can also do a bolt action AK similarly... remove the piston and block the gas port.

Thats NOT what this does.

dieselpower
05-24-2011, 7:16 PM
You can take a 30rd magazine. Cut the rear of the follower. Place a spring loaded hard stop in there. This forces the Bolt hold open to stay engaged on EVERY round. You would have to use a bad lever of hit the Bolt release to allow the next round to chamber. that means its NOT a semi-auto since the rifle does not load itself.

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:....
now you can have all the features...and are NOT limited to 10rds or less.

BUT the rifle is an AW when another magazine is inserted OR the magazine is removed.

So a re-design of the Bolt catch is needed.....I'm on this. Time to hit the gym to think this through.

mossy
05-24-2011, 7:19 PM
You can take a 30rd magazine. Cut the rear of the follower. Place a spring loaded hard stop in there. This forces the Bolt hold open to stay engaged on EVERY round. You would have to use a bad lever of hit the Bolt release to allow the next round to chamber. that means its NOT a semi-auto since the rifle does not load itself.

true but once the mag is out of the weapon it is AW status wouldn't it?

glock_this
05-24-2011, 7:21 PM
someone needs to track these cats down in the UK and get more info on this device.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
05-24-2011, 7:30 PM
Why wouldn't a normal bolt release work? i wouldn't mind hitting the bolt release home after every shot if it meant I could have all the evil features....

tiger222
I like it - seems like a FCG mod. Looks like fun too.

Cokebottle
BUT the rifle is an AW when another magazine is inserted OR the magazine is removed.
Exactly.

Which is why disabling the gas system is the cheapest/easiest way to do it, and is legal in California right now.

UserM4
05-24-2011, 7:52 PM
cool!

707electrician
05-24-2011, 7:55 PM
Seems like all you would have to do is hold that lever down while shooting and it is semi-auto again. Im sure that would not fly in the eyes of CA

dieselpower
05-24-2011, 8:44 PM
Seems like all you would have to do is hold that lever down while shooting and it is semi-auto again. I'm sure that would not fly in the eyes of CA

No the lever in the video has a sear on it, it resets just like your trigger. If you hold it down nothing happens. You must release the lever and depress it again for the bolt catch to release the bolt.

On the mod I have just drawn up, that doesn't happen. if you hold the lever I designed, the rifle reverts back to semi-auto. I am still working on a sear for it.

mossy
05-24-2011, 8:53 PM
No the lever in the video has a sear on it, it resets just like your trigger. If you hold it down nothing happens. You must release the lever and depress it again for the bolt catch to release the bolt.

On the mod I have just drawn up, that doesn't happen. if you hold the lever I designed, the rifle reverts back to semi-auto. I am still working on a sear for it.

awesome if you ever get a working model done, please let me know i would be interested in getting one if i am still in CA

killshot44
05-24-2011, 9:32 PM
I'm a little surprised someone hasn't developed/exploited this in the States.

Seems like a fairly simple was to disengage and rengage the sear. Wonder if the safety still works with it?

Cokebottle
05-24-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm a little surprised someone hasn't developed/exploited this in the States.
Because it only has a use in 4 or 5 states.
Very limited market when featureless is an option.

arsilva32
05-24-2011, 10:19 PM

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:....
now you can have all the features...and are NOT limited to 10rds or less.

So a re-design of the Bolt catch is needed.....I'm on this. Time to hit the gym to think this through.

with your mag idea you could just use a bad lever after every shot ,it would work just as good as this thumb lever.

i personally think this thing is ridiculous and would never even entertain the idea of installing it on my gun.

Cali-Shooter
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
What a sad country the UK is.

Cokebottle
05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
with your mag idea you could just use a bad lever after every shot ,it would work just as good as this thumb lever.
As he mentioned, this only works when the magazine is inserted.
The moment the magazine is removed, it is simply an AR with a BAD lever attached and a non-modified magazine would not activate the BHO device.

Without the magazine, the gun becomes an AW without a BB.
Modification must be done to the gun itself in a way that it will still operate in non-semiautomatic mode with an OTC magazine.
The OTC magazine doesn't have to feed or even lock into the gun... it simply must be configured so that it will do anything BUT operate in semi-auto mode at any time.

It also has to be designed so that simply holding the BAD lever, or slapping some duct tape over the bolt release will not allow it to operate normally.

That's where DP left off on the last post. It needs to have a disconnector/sear mechanism so pressing the bolt release is a one-shot and it immediately resets so the bolt locks back after the shot is taken.

Dannicus
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
You could just mod the bolt catch/release to be sprung opposite of its design. That way you wouldn't need something like an artificial follower to actuate it. Couple that with the BAD lever and you have your "permanent non-semi" that works similar to that UK gun.

G-forceJunkie
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Would'nt be too hard to remove the spring from the bolt hold open, and install a spring on the BAD lever, or a modified bolt catch that applied spring pressure the other way. That way its no longer the magazine opperating the bolt catch.

Dannicus
05-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Would'nt be too hard to remove the spring from the bolt hold open, and install a spring on the BAD lever, or a modified bolt catch that applied spring pressure the other way. That way its no longer the magazine opperating the bolt catch.

Beat you to it!:p

NDFMF
05-24-2011, 10:40 PM
The sear is the right idea. I am on-board with you guys. This is a completely viable alternative to the bullet-button and featureless rifles. This way, you get the std. mag release and all the evil features you can dream of. Sound like fun. And who cares if you have to operate a lever each shot. With a little bit of training, it's second nature, and still way faster than a bolt action or finding a tool to drop your mag. Very cool idea.

NDFMF
05-24-2011, 10:41 PM
You could just mod the bolt catch/release to be sprung opposite of its design. That way you wouldn't need something like an artificial follower to actuate it. Couple that with the BAD lever and you have your "permanent non-semi" that works similar to that UK gun.

That was another idea I was thinking of. But yeah, I think overall, we're onto something that could be popular here for as long as our lame AWB stands.

Cokebottle
05-24-2011, 10:47 PM
But still able to be overridden by simply holding the lever.

It MIGHT fly without the lever, but some DA somewhere will take the thing to the range and dump a Beta-C on video while holding the bolt release in with his left hand and not even hitting paper at 20ft.

motorwerks
05-24-2011, 10:47 PM
dont like...

SickofSoCal
05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Alright, who's going to be the first to video record themselves explaining to the gun-grabber cop/usfs/blm/fish&game/etc. that their gun ISN'T an AW?

Dannicus
05-24-2011, 10:51 PM
But still able to be overridden by simply holding the lever.

It MIGHT fly without the lever, but some DA somewhere will take the thing to the range and dump a Beta-C on video while holding the bolt release in with his left hand and not even hitting paper at 20ft.

Ah, right. Still needs some sort of disconnect.

hnoppenberger
05-24-2011, 10:58 PM
beyond the BS, i actually feel really bad for the brits. as awesome it is that they figured a pretty useful way around insane laws, how horrible it must be that you have to do stuff like that just to own a gun.

civilians should own machine guns.

hnoppenberger
05-24-2011, 10:59 PM

this, then lets do away with NFA

NorCalAthlete
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Let me know if you guys find a website or something for this device. Googling "Unicorn AR mod" "Unicorn AR device" etc just turned up this thread.

dieselpower
05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Ok, I have the basic sear design down. If you hold the lever, nothing happens, you must release it for it to again be functional and release the Bolt when next pressed. Attaches to the outside of the AR15 in place of the normal bolt catch.

I will look for someone to build it....Any takers?

mossy
05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Let me know if you guys find a website or something for this device. Googling "Unicorn AR mod" "Unicorn AR device" etc just turned up this thread.

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/
this is the company that made them, they are called 9mm lever release, under the rifles section.

straykiller
05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
crazy, would get really old releasing the leaver after every shot, ill take a BB over that any day.

motorwerks
05-24-2011, 11:27 PM
beyond the BS, i actually feel really bad for the brits. as awesome it is that they figured a pretty useful way around insane laws, how horrible it must be that you have to do stuff like that just to own a gun.

civilians should own machine guns.

Thats how the rest of the country feels about BB's and featureless builds. :D

motorwerks
05-24-2011, 11:28 PM
crazy, would get really old releasing the leaver after every shot, ill take a BB over that any day.

I would take 2 BB's over this thing. LOL its such a bad idea.

pdugan6
05-24-2011, 11:34 PM

I heard that!

MrMiyagi
05-24-2011, 11:41 PM
:lurk5:

killshot44
05-24-2011, 11:43 PM

I found 'em. They're sold by Southern Gun Company in England, retail is a whopping 1,322 plus a 20%VAT (valued add tax)...

Here's a link to the technical PDF for the 9mm rifle. http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/file/documents/SGC%209mm%20CARBINE%20SPEC%20SHEET%20LEVER%20RELEA SE%20MK%206%20ACTION.pdf

I'm wondering if the mag design for 9mm enables the sear device? It doesn't look like they use that system on their other rifles.
Diesel, I'd like to see what you whip up.

Looks like Southern specializes in stright-pull bolt rifles. I like the looks of this one. Their full line is here: http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/?page=items&cat_id=1

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/user/image/SWISS-RIFLE-3jpg.gif

For all the Haters, look how they have to mod the Upper so they can compete in Service Rifle/High power matches in England...
http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/user/image/highpower_980.gif

Here's the left side of one of their "Speedmaster" rifle. Says rate of fire is 80rpm with the side-charger.

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/user/image/speedmaster255_980.gif

Don't hate on our Limey friends, they're just doing what they have to do to enjoy shooting.

NorCalAthlete
05-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Whoa, I like that buttstock. Just looked it up and it's the command arms SRS (http://store.commandarms.com/products/SRS.html). Expensive as **** though....almost 2x as much as the Magpul PRS!

sonnyt650
05-25-2011, 7:11 AM
Off topic that SRS has the monopod already attached while the PRS you'd need to buy one, so the cost difference really isn't that much.

On topic even if you overcome the 10-round limit for the semi-auto centerfire rifle you've still got the 10-round limit on new magazines in general. I'm not sure this design really does anything for us because of our overbearing state laws.

mossy
05-25-2011, 8:13 AM
Off topic that SRS has the monopod already attached while the PRS you'd need to buy one, so the cost difference really isn't that much.

On topic even if you overcome the 10-round limit for the semi-auto centerfire rifle you've still got the 10-round limit on new magazines in general. I'm not sure this design really does anything for us because of our overbearing state laws.

if you have legally owned full cap mags you can use them in this build. if not you dont need a BB to have evil features

safewaysecurity
05-25-2011, 8:21 AM
This is really cool/interesting/sad all at the same time.

goodlookin1
05-25-2011, 8:31 AM
This gives you something that Featureless and BB's cant give you: The ability to have Evil Features and use your Hi Caps at the same time. Yes, it's sad it has to be this way, but nonetheless....it is what it is (for now). I think it is certainly creative.

Personally, I dont have hi-cap mags, so I'd rather use a BB and regain my semi-auto ability. Plus, the range master allowed me to rapid fire yesterday on the last set, and I remembered how much I like semi-auto :D:D:D

NDFMF
05-25-2011, 8:52 AM
Ok, I have the basic sear design down. If you hold the lever, nothing happens, you must release it for it to again be functional and release the Bolt when next pressed. Attaches to the outside of the AR15 in place of the normal bolt catch.

I will look for someone to build it....Any takers?

I would be interested to see what the cost per part would be. If it's cheap like a BB, I would definitely be interested. If it's going to be hundreds of dollars, I would pass.

dieselpower
05-25-2011, 9:03 AM
I would be interested to see what the cost per part would be. If it's cheap like a BB, I would definitely be interested. If it's going to be hundreds of dollars, I would pass.

Well my first draft would be a small mechanical linkage that fits inplace of the Bolt Catch. It would use the existing Bolt catch ears to secure to the Lower. I do not think it would be cheap, but it wouldn't cost over $100.... (the cost of a B.A.D. Lever and a few magazines :) )

When I get more time, I will start an in depth design of the linkage, then see if anyone can whip up a prototype.

Cokebottle
05-25-2011, 5:32 PM
Annoying, but a lot better than operating the charging handle every time, or even better than a true bolt action.