PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted between two uppers/calibers...

Fear58
05-24-2011, 9:37 AM
Need some help here fellas...

I'm torn between the 6.8 SPC and 450 bushmaster.
I'm not getting much input from any close friends as they have no experience with either calibers (starting to realize I'm the true gun guru when it comes to my friends).

The two bore's are like apples and oranges, I know. I feel like the 6.8 is TOO close a bullet to the .223 upper I already have. That said, I feel like it will be adequate for deer/pig I will be using this new upper with.

The 450 bushmaster seems like an awesome load. It will definitely take anything I shoot at within 200 yards, and it's quite a contrast from the .223 upper I have. I feel like I'll have both ends of the spectrum if I get this upper.

After a day of research, I've realized ammo for both is expensive, with the 450 a couple bucks more/less depending on the source, give or take. So ammo is about the same for both.

The 6.8 upper I'm looking at has some cool factor with the TRX extreme rail, while the 450 I'm looking at is the traditional float tube. I'm cool with that, but have preference on a rail.

Here are the two guns I'm looking at:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/2202.php

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/190078__Bushmaster_Rifles_Shotguns_Upper_Receiver_ Barrel_***.aspx?SR=1
*(Edit: the link to the bushy seems to have a bad word in it :P ... it's just a traditional bushmaster with free float tube and one mag for $510)

Before anyone chimes in, I have indeed considered .308, .50 beowulf, and 458 SOCOM. I have my reasons for weeding down to these two uppers, which I'll keep to myself as to not stir up debate :D

Thanks fellas

BrianRodela
05-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I've always been one for convenience. When it comes to two different rounds for the same platform, I weigh cost and availability. being that they are both comperable on cost, check the availability of both and I'd go in that direction. Although both rounds are adequate for your purposes, onee may diminish over time. I've still got a S&W .41 but never get out with it much anymore.

pyro3k2
05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
get which everone has the best ammo options, I've owned a .450bm and it was fun to shoot but expensive to shoot.

spareparts
05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I ended up getting rid of my 6.8 upper in favor of a 50 Beowulf. The performance of the 6.8 really didn't do much for me. Were it my decision, after owning a 6.8 upper and now a 50 Beowulf, presented with your two choices I'd pick the 450.

Not trying to talk you in to a Beowulf but for those who don't know the Beowulf mags are basically a unmodified 30 round AR mag with a Beowulf floor plate making them a legal 10 round mag intended for the Beowulf...that in a free state feeds 30 rounds of 5.56 just fine.

Fear58
05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah I like that appeal of the beowulf. I've read though that with the 450, all you have to do is buy a few of bushmaster's blue followers and it turns a traditional AR mag into 450 compatible.

DannyInSoCal
05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
I like my 6.8 - Lots of ammo choices - Good knock down power for deer & hogs...

762.DEFENSE
05-24-2011, 1:19 PM
My vote goes to the 6.8 :thumbsup:

WHITE MAMBA
05-24-2011, 2:57 PM
I have hunted alot of pigs with 6.8 and 458 socom. I mainly just use the 6.8, its been cheaper to run, faster on recoil contol, and has great accuracy. I have never felt undergunned with it yet.

C_1
05-24-2011, 3:03 PM
Both :) Cost and availability is what I would weigh it on. Perhaps find someone around your area with a 6.8 and a 450bm and hit up the range..

pyro3k2
05-24-2011, 3:55 PM
Yeah I like that appeal of the beowulf. I've read though that with the 450, all you have to do is buy a few of bushmaster's blue followers and it turns a traditional AR mag into 450 compatible.

When it comes to the .450bm you have to use stainless steal bodied mags, the standard USGi mags with warp after 6 rounds and the feed lips will spread to far apart and you will have jams for the first 4 shots. If you decide to go down the Pmag roudn you need to remove tha channel of polymer that runs down the inside of the mag to fit the rounds, depending on how good you are with hand tools the Pmag conversion are easy but cost a bit more. There is a ever present issue with the 30 round mags however, since they have that curve to them the rounds will jam up in the mag every so often even in the SS mag bodies or if you mod'd you Pmag perfectly. The best bet is to get as many factory 5 round bushmaster mags as possible and just use a 20 round spring in them. They will hold 7 rounds and with their straight bodies you will have no jamming issues.

The .458socom and the .50bw do not have these issues at all. Since their case diameter is larger it allows for more positive retention of the round by the feed lips. A normal USGI can hold 10 rounds of .50bw/.458socom without issue but when using the slightly narrower .450bm the feed lips just don't have enought to grab onto and will warp under the pressure of a full mag.

----OR-----

you can jusy buy these http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=647434

btw that is my first hand experience trying to modify mags for my .450bm.

Fear58
05-24-2011, 9:32 PM
pyro, how do you like your 450bm? Do you have any other AR upper calibers or rifles in general to compare it too?

BTW thanks for the great info on the mag situation.

pyro3k2
05-24-2011, 9:44 PM
pyro, how do you like your 450bm? Do you have any other AR upper calibers or rifles in general to compare it too?

BTW thanks for the great info on the mag situation.

I've owned a .450bm upper a .458socom upper and enjoyed shooting them both, but after I got my AK and a respectable amount of surplus ammo I can afford to go to the range every week for almost no money. I was shooting my way into the poor house by taking the big bore rifles out so I ended up selling them and getting a FPK. Ammo cost and availiblity or reloading compenents are the only bad thing I have to say about any big bore AR upper, ballistically they all pretty much do the same it's like a game of rock, paper, scissors in the pro/cons areas of the three major big bore cals.

Unless you pick some of the heavier loads like the 500gr for the socom and bw recoil is about the same as a 20ga shotgun when standing. If you are shooting from the bench it will feel like a .270 if that helps put a ball park figure on them.

7.62 Charlie
05-25-2011, 12:24 AM
I've read though that with the 450, all you have to do is buy a few of bushmaster's blue followers and it turns a traditional AR mag into 450 compatible.

http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3071