PDA

View Full Version : Would this work: Simple Sling

JPglee1
12-08-2006, 3:45 AM
Hey guys.

Check out my signature picture (sig pic @ warrifles..no IMG allowed here :( ). I like the picture cuz its cool to look at, but also because of how the guys in the movie HEAT rigged their slings for the first take-down.

Looks to be 2 bungie cords in a figure-8 around the shoulders, with the stock of the AR-15 zip tied to the cords.

Do you think this would work in SHTF... like for a quick field expedient sling???

http://i10.tinypic.com/4d35pj4.jpg

JP

joel1316
12-08-2006, 3:50 AM
If I'm picturing it right, the middle part of the 8 would be on your chest right? Same idea as Blackhawk's Chalker Sling. I would think that the figure 8 bungie cords wouldn't be too secure??? Definately a simple design though.

JPglee1
12-08-2006, 3:57 AM
If I'm picturing it right, the middle part of the 8 would be on your chest right? Same idea as Blackhawk's Chalker Sling. I would think that the figure 8 bungie cords wouldn't be too secure??? Definately a simple design though.

I'm thinking the middle part of the "8" would be on your back...

I think if you use the right sized cords, they will be under constant tension and won't fall off??

Maybe I'll try it, lol :D

J

metalhead357
12-08-2006, 7:09 PM
Maybe I'll try it, lol :D

J

Do us all a favor. Make sure its UNLOADED. Though I dont like yer' tin foil- I DO like yer' posts:p And wanna see more of 'em:p

(My tinfoil brings all the girls in the yard-
Cause my tin foil is better than yours,
Cause my tin foil is better than yours,Dam right, its better than yours):p
((its a music jest just in case ya' didn't get it!!!!))

NeoWeird
12-08-2006, 7:17 PM
First off, I LOVE Heat.

Second, I think you would get a better and freer motion by using TWO zip ties for the rear of the rifle. First zip type goes around the buttstock while the second zip tie acts as a link between the rifle and the figure 8. If you used just one it seems like it would bind, but by using two the first once can bind and be tight while still allowing the second one to be slightly loose allowing free motion up and down the cords.

Also, is this a single point style sling? I've always wondered why they put the duct tape on the handguards, and why they had the bungees, etc. (honesty, I used to think it was a home made retention system so they unhook them and their vests just fall off for when they needed to get away). Could the duct tape be the second point of the sling, possibly with a third bungee going to the figure 8?

Even as just the figure 8, it seems like it would be a fairly good sling, especially for a light weapon, but I wouldn't want to try putting too much weight on it (especially with the idea of those hooks digging into my back).

randy
12-09-2006, 12:36 AM
The duct tape is so you have duct tape. You can't run back to the car and get it. People that use their equipment for its intended purpose have to have field expediency.

The bunjie cords pull the rifle/ shotgun (pistol grip only 14" barrel door breacher) back and out of the way so you can transition to your pistol or have your hands free in the case of Heat.

Along with the bunjies you (personal preference) might have a coat hanger bent up and covered in duct tape on your web gear belt so when you transition to your hand gun your barrel goes behind and tucks it out of the way for ease of movement.

JPglee1
12-09-2006, 5:33 AM
I think the duct tape might be so he doesn't get choked by the cord (taped it down)

Yes I think its a single point. I make simple single points from nylon and buckles, but they don't "bungie back" thats why Im thinking of incorporating a bungie into the design...

Good answers guys!

J