PDA

View Full Version : USGI AR Mags

E Pluribus Unum
12-08-2006, 4:43 AM
I have a Keltec SU-16 and a recent discussion about that rifle got me thinking.

I have several 30 round magazines that do not feed unless upward pressure is exerted on the magazine. I purchased a couple 10 round Armalite magazines and they functioned perfectly so I assumed the 30 rounders were just cheap magazines.

I was looking at these "cheap magazines" and I decided to question Kel-tec about it. They told me that this is often the case in cheap aftermarket magazines but "USGI" mags function perfectly. I then decided to research the 30 round mags that I have.

They are marked with:

La Belle Ind.
Oconomowoc, Wi. u.s.a.
mfg 90435

These markings lead me to a few sources that say these are the best-made USGI magazines and that they almost exclusively sold to the Government and Bushmaster.

The failure to feed occurs because the magazine wobbles. When the bolt slides forward and pushes the next round into the chamber, the bullet hits extremely low on the feed ramp causing it to bind and fail to feed properly.

Does anyone have a remedy to this or have they experienced similar circumstances? Is it the mag or the rifle? I might remind you that the 10 round Armalite mags work perfectly.

luvtolean
12-08-2006, 4:48 AM
Have you made sure the magazine fully seats?

I have Bushie 20/10s, and I have to really slam them in so they're fully seated.

I can put them in, and they're held in by friction, but if I pull down hard on them, they fall free as they haven't been pushed up quite far enough to engage the mag catch.

Cobrarlc
12-08-2006, 5:44 AM
You may want to consider to rebuild your legally owned mags with new springs and followers.

Fjold
12-08-2006, 6:44 AM
If the mags are not latching correctly into the receiver you could replace the mag body.

mltrading
12-08-2006, 6:57 AM
La Belle should be excellent. Maybe your mag is too old.

The possibility is, your mag body has some damage so that the mag body and receiver can not lock together firmly. Buy some replacement mag bodies and rebuild them.

E Pluribus Unum
12-08-2006, 3:54 PM
I have 8 never before used magazines. All function the same. I have found that if I put a layer of electritions tape on the front and back (not sides) of the mag it is much more reliable.

bwiese
12-08-2006, 4:03 PM
If not-terribly-worn USGI mags are having an issue with a third-tier rifle like a KelTec, it's likely the KelTec to blame.

Perhaps something in the mag catch area...

Note that I do have to fairly forcefully insert fully loaded AR mags in my ARs to latch. It's not just a light insertion action that works with an empty mag

uglygun
12-08-2006, 4:08 PM
Labelle mags are USGI spec, I've got around 30 of them with various floor plates from Labelle, to DPMS, to Bushmaster.

I suspect KelTec is passing the buck here and that it's likely the magazine well that is "loose".

Quiet
05-01-2010, 2:32 AM
All my USGI magazines work fine in my Kel-Tec SU-16CA.
I need to check who made them, they are varying manufacturers.
:Pirate:

Noobert
05-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I have Bushie 20/10s

How do you fit 20 rounds in a ten round magazine?:o

Ed_Hazard
05-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Its all in how you stagger the rounds.:thumbsup:

E Pluribus Unum
05-01-2010, 6:11 PM
Another Necropost... dang... somethings going on...