PDA

View Full Version : Fixed mag or detachable mag for SKS!!!

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 2:08 AM
Hi im new to the site.... My name is Ed and for my first post I wanted to get some of your feedbacks on the idea I wanted to carryout on my Russian SKS.... So before I posted my first thread here I did plenty of research concerning the legalities of the SKS..... I know what can and can't be done to the SKS and obviously the biggest one is that the SKS can't have a detachable mag...Which would make it fall under appendix A.... So to make this short and to the point.... If I were able to lock the mag release lever in place with a set screw and the only way to pull it back to release the mag was to unscrew the set screw... Would that by definition make the mag FIXED? or would it be considered still a DETACHABLE?.... Now it says on the CA DOJ that a mag is considered detachable if no BB is used or tool was used to release the mag.... In my case I would be using an ALLEN WRENCH (TOOL) to unscrew to operate the lever to release the mag.... I know the purest out there will say leave it stock with the fixed 10rd mag but to each its own right..... And beside doing this will keep me from expending all my ammo in less than and hour.... My Russian SKS is already modded with the tapco intrafuse and the rifle is 922r compliant..... I've already gone through the flowchart but I wanted to verify with you good people to see what if my SKS is still legal.... Thank You in Advance and I'll post some pics up later...

-Angeles

Ps. sorry if someone posted the same exact idea but i couldn't find it on the forum...

Ed_Hazard
05-24-2011, 2:12 AM
Well you pretty much answered your own question.

If you require the use of a tool to remove the mag, it is by definition a fixed mag rifle.

Ed_Hazard
05-24-2011, 2:14 AM
Ohh and Welcome to Calguns.:thumbsup:

Please keep us updated with pics if possible.

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 2:18 AM
Yeah I tend to do that but i was referred here from others that didn't know the answer... But yeah i'll keep you guys posted with the pics for sure.... Im pretty sure this idea would work and it can keep a detachable mag fixed...

-Angeles

Ed_Hazard
05-24-2011, 2:21 AM
Yeah I tend to do that but i was referred here from others that didn't know the answer... But yeah i'll keep you guys posted with the pics for sure.... Im pretty sure this idea would work and it can keep a detachable mag fixed...

-Angeles

Much like Godzilla and the tooth fairey, no such thing exsists...:cool:

DanDaDude102
05-24-2011, 2:41 AM
Sounds like what your trying to say is that you will have a datchable magazine with the mag release tightened down with a screw. If this is correct, then it is very similar to a prince 50, meaning as soon as you loosen that screw you have a detachable magazine therefore illegal when you loosen the scew to unlock the magazine, but if you keep the screw tightened down at all times then it should be legal.

Be careful with this! What do you guys think?

railroader
05-24-2011, 6:26 AM
Sounds like what your trying to say is that you will have a datchable magazine with the mag release tightened down with a screw. If this is correct, then it is very similar to a prince 50, meaning as soon as you loosen that screw you have a detachable magazine therefore illegal when you loosen the scew to unlock the magazine, but if you keep the screw tightened down at all times then it should be legal.

Be careful with this! What do you guys think?
Good point. You need to start with a non detachable mag that works similar to the factory mag. Get one of these and you are good to go. http://www.tapco.com/products/sks/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=213 Mark

Flintlock Tom
05-24-2011, 7:03 AM
...If I were able to lock the mag release lever in place with a set screw and the only way to pull it back to release the mag was to unscrew the set screw... Would that by definition make the mag FIXED? or would it be considered still a DETACHABLE?.... Now it says on the CA DOJ that a mag is considered detachable if no BB is used or tool was used to release the mag.... In my case I would be using an ALLEN WRENCH (TOOL) to unscrew to operate the lever to release the mag...

If your intention is to lock it down with the set screw and load from the top, you're good-to-go, however, if your intention is to loosen the set screw to change mags at the range you are not. As soon as you loosen the set screw you now have a semi-automatic, center-fire rifle that is capable of accepting detachable magazines. At this point it must be "featureless", meaning no flash hider, no pistol grip, etc.
If your rifle is indeed "featureless" then you don't even need the set screw as long as you only use 10-round (or less) magazines.

louscamaro91
05-24-2011, 8:04 AM
How come the Sks has NO assault weapon characteristics, and you can't detach the magazine. It makes no sense. If your talking about the letter of the law, these should be fine to have a detachable mag(no different than a mini or featureless AK)
The lawmakers have singled out the SKS and made it's own law for it outside the ban...
Hmm..

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 8:21 AM
Wow quick replies... Thanks again guys and gals... Yeah so my idea was to unloosen it when i need to put a new mag but isn't that the same concept as a bullet button for an AR15... when you take out the mag from an AR15 that has a bullet botton it becomes illegal as well right?....... Just to add I do have a tapco mag already but i wanted to pursue the idea i've mentioned.... If that is the case then I have more than enough stripper clips to load from the top..... I will definitely keep this SKS legal to LAW.... please keep the post coming guys... Thanks again to all..

-Angeles

Bhobbs
05-24-2011, 8:48 AM
No it is not the same as a bullet button on an AR15 because when you unscrew the set screw it is no longer fixed and you can drop the mag with your finger. There are AR mag locks that work like you want to do to your SKS but they cannot be loosened. The bullet is used to drop the mag with a bullet button so the bullet button is always fixed in place. The second you loosened the set screw that would be an illegal SKS.

osis32
05-24-2011, 8:56 AM
After omniman's thread i wanna get a detach mag sks and bull pup it.

Bhobbs
05-24-2011, 8:58 AM
After omniman's thread i wanna get a detach mag sks and bull pup it.

Detachable mag SKSs are banned by name. Besides putting one in the bull pup stock would be manufacturing an assault weapon so you would have to fix the mag or put a grip wrap on it.

dieselpower
05-24-2011, 9:10 AM
Wow guys back the boat up. I am on my first cup of coffee so go easy if I am reading this wrong...

He is correct. If he has a true SKS, not the yugos 59/66s that we all CALL SKS, then he is correct... the 10rd magazine is detachable, even though its a fixed magazine rifle. The internal fixed magazine can be detached WITHOUT a tool AND it says SKS on the side. What is an AW...an SKS with a detachable magazine.

Remember I am only on 1 cup of Joe here....

I do not think a screw to remove the cover will work. The tool must RELEASE the magazine from the firearm. Simply using a tool to access the lever will not be legal the second you access the lever while the firearm is functional. Thats like the old Prince 50 with the set screw, as soon as the set screw was loosened the magazine release was normal and the AR15 was an AW.

I have no solution for you at this time.

r6raff
05-24-2011, 9:17 AM
Wow quick replies... Thanks again guys and gals... Yeah so my idea was to unloosen it when i need to put a new mag but isn't that the same concept as a bullet button for an AR15... when you take out the mag from an AR15 that has a bullet botton it becomes illegal as well right?....... Just to add I do have a tapco mag already but i wanted to pursue the idea i've mentioned.... If that is the case then I have more than enough stripper clips to load from the top..... I will definitely keep this SKS legal to LAW.... please keep the post coming guys... Thanks again to all..

-Angeles

I think you are slightly misunderstanding what the bullet button and maglocks are. Firstly, if the magazine can be dropped with your finger (at any point without a tool) the weapon will be classified as a detachable magazine. This means, with your plan, as soon as you manually back out that set screw to the point you can operate the mag release with your finger, it is an assault weapon.

Next, with a bullet button, the presence of the magazine doesnt make the weapon fixed or detachable, the ability to drop the mag without a "tool" is what determines whether it is a fixed rifle or not. I can drop my magazine from my AR all day, as long at I can not do it without the use of a tool.

The tool has to be used in the actual operation of dropping the magazine, simply using it to unlock the catch so you can operate it with your finger is not meeting the requirements. Now if you can top feed the weapon while leaving the magazine inserted and locked then you are good to go, you are in essence reverting back to the simple days of top loading permanently fixed magazine weapons.

I hope this helps, but it seems like you need to "search" more, "google" more and ask more questions before you potentially get yourself in trouble.

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 9:28 AM
Roger that.... Thanks guys for the heads up.... So then i'll just keep the screw tighten at all times with the mag on and top load.... I just think the rifle looks better with a mag on.... I like the feed with the mag on anyways its a lot smoother than the original metal fix mag.... Thank you guys so much for all the response... Now that I think of it I have to figure out a way to create a BB on this SKS with it still being legal... Man Cali laws are rough.... I'll me doing the mods this evening and i'll post some pics tonite... the only thing that im drilling would be just the release lever..... Just curious has anyone ever done this??? Thanks again guys....

-Angeles

dieselpower
05-24-2011, 9:40 AM
^...leave the drill and dremel in the tool box. Just let the rifle be what it is as long as its legal. DONT BUBBA UP AN ORIGINAL SKS... god kills kittens for less.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
05-24-2011, 12:10 PM
kitten population control! I have a Buddy who LOVES his tap-co stock on his yugo, then again I've only seen him shoot it twice in the last couple of years an we shoot quite a bit. I wonder how many lovely russian ladies are stuck in these plastic stocks an then stuck in the safe to show friends their "battle rifle w/20rd mag" SAD :nopity:

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 1:22 PM
Oh i shoot mine regularly... Just this weekend i shot it with the new tapco stock and barska red dot scope... Even if I have an old rifle it doesn't mean that i won't fire it because it's cool looking... I personally like shooting the SKS.... When i was a Corpsman for the marines I thought the M16 was my fav... but after shooting the SKS with the tapco and zero'ed in it was cherry... Just got back so will be taking pictures soon...

-Angeles

r6raff
05-24-2011, 1:33 PM
When i was a Corpsman for the marines

Oorah!!! DevilDoc.

Good luck with your project, just make sure it is good to go law wise, don't want to make a little mistake that could put you in the slammer.

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 1:38 PM
Oorah.... 8404 for life!!! Yeah thats why i asked just better to be safe and not sorry... But so far the project is doing well... So just to ask another question..... If I were to purchase a yugo 59/66 is that ok to have a detachable mag without any repercussion from the law? I got mixed facts on this that's why im asking it.... You guys and gals are the best.... Great support on this forum...

-Angeles

DanDaDude102
05-24-2011, 2:23 PM

-Angeles
Think of it like this, with the Bullet button your using the tool to derectly remove the magazine therefore legal. With your idea your using the tool to loosen the screw to convert/unconvert a detachable magazine therefore illegal.

Also about the yugos, since they dont say "sks" on them they should legally be able to have a detachable magazine much like the ak47 is banned by name but you stilL can own a wasr-10.

supertrooper
05-24-2011, 8:49 PM
just get a standard fixed 10rd mag for ca and use the detachable tapco mags out of state. tapco even has a fixed 10/20 if thats the look you want.

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 9:31 PM
Well here's some pics of the rifle in it's entire legal form from 922r compliant parts to it having a fixed mag... I don't intend to loosen the screw unless im out of state where detachables are legal... The procedure was pretty easy but it had to be precise to where no play was involve so the mag could not move... I'll be changing the screw to an allan screw.... So just to clarify with all who know the legalities of the SKS and/ or laws of AW this is LEGAL....Right...? Thanks again everybody....

-Angeles

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/ea23j/DSC_0667.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/ea23j/DSC_0669.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/ea23j/DSC_0672.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/ea23j/DSC_0671.jpg

DanDaDude102
05-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Well here's some pics of the rifle in it's entire legal form from 922r compliant parts to it having a fixed mag... I don't intend to loosen the screw unless im out of state where detachables are legal... The procedure was pretty easy but it had to be precise to where no play was involve so the mag could not move... I'll be changing the screw to an allan screw.... So just to clarify with all who know the legalities of the SKS and/ or laws of AW this is LEGAL....Right...? Thanks again everybody....

-Angeles

looks good as long as you keep that screw in and assuming thats a 10 round magazine!

0823angeles
05-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Oh definitely will keep that screw on at all times and the mag is a 10/30 from tapco.... Thanks again

-Angeles

straykiller
05-24-2011, 11:37 PM
looks good man

Dion
11-11-2011, 5:39 PM
I just did the set screw thing with my own SKS with the Tapco stock and magazine. It was interesting because when I received my so-called fixed magazine, it attached and detached just fine... so much for fixed! And so much for trying to stay within the law!

I drilled and tapped the mag release and added some blue loctite for good measure.

So, before I take this to the range, I WANT TO BE SURE (!) that I'm okay with this:

1) If I leave the set screw in (that mag isn't going anywhere), am I good?

2) If I went back to featureless (original stock) can the mag be detachable?

Thanks in advance!

Merc1138
11-11-2011, 5:44 PM
I just did the set screw thing with my own SKS with the Tapco stock and magazine. It was interesting because when I received my so-called fixed magazine, it attached and detached just fine... so much for fixed! And so much for trying to stay within the law!

I drilled and tapped the mag release and added some blue loctite for good measure.

So, before I take this to the range, I WANT TO BE SURE (!) that I'm okay with this:

1) If I leave the set screw in (that mag isn't going anywhere), am I good?

2) If I went back to featureless (original stock) can the mag be detachable?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes.
2. No. An SKS with a detachable mag is specifically named as an AW. Evil features and the flowchart do not apply to an SKS with a detachable magazine.

Go look at the flow chart, scroll down to the 2nd page. You'll see "SKS w/ detachable magazine" in appendix A

Dion
11-11-2011, 5:50 PM
Thanks! I'll just leave that screw in until the zombies come.

StupidMoFo
11-11-2011, 6:28 PM
I don't understand how your tapco fixed magazine with the pin that extrudes from the mag catch didn't fix it in place in the trigger guard. The magazine has a pin that slides into the trigger group when you click it back into the stock. It was really unnecessary for you to drill a hole in your sks like that! Even if the pin it came with wasn't long enough you could have easily replaced it with a nail cut to size

Edit: unless you did this because the tapco stock is a pain to take apart or something and thus a screw is easier to remove

Dion
11-11-2011, 7:31 PM
I think they sent me the wrong mag, because mine didn't have a pin.

junior40er
12-09-2014, 2:34 PM
I cant seem to find these "pinned" tapco mags.

Banana_hands
12-09-2014, 3:43 PM

-Angeles

Holy Chin-weld Batman! Does your face even touch the stock when you're looking through the optic? :facepalm:

Other than that looks good. :D

bcrich
12-09-2014, 4:20 PM
Holy Chin-weld Batman! Does your face even touch the stock when you're looking through the optic? :facepalm:
:D

Looks like it can be fired from the hip & still be able to use that Barska optic.

vintagearms
12-09-2014, 4:32 PM
I cant seem to find these "pinned" tapco mags.

You necroposted from 2011??? :confused:

junior40er
12-09-2014, 8:02 PM
If I create new thread I'll be called as reposter. Can never win.