PDA

View Full Version : Steel/bi-metal jacked/steel cased ammo prohibited

jumbopanda
12-08-2006, 1:15 AM
So where do you guys go to shoot surplus and Wolf ammo? It seems that just about every range within a 90 mile radius of where I live doesn't ammo it. :mad:

chiefcrash
12-08-2006, 3:30 AM
So where do you guys go to shoot surplus and Wolf ammo? It seems that just about every range within a 90 mile radius of where I live doesn't ammo it. :mad:

it would help to know where you live....

cornholio1
12-08-2006, 3:51 AM

Use BrownBear (almost like wolf). But Wolf's some good cheap sh*&

sthornwall
12-08-2006, 5:26 AM
I have had the same thing at all the ranges where I live (San Diego). This is one of the reasons I don't purchase Wolf. Your only best bet is to find some BLM land and go to the middle of nowhere to plink. I know the two reasons why the range I go to won't allow it is; the ammo type supposedly compromises the integrity of their range back-stop and they are unable to recycle the casings. I don't know if this is BS or not but this is what the range master told me when I asked. The price of Wolf is very attractive though. Good luck.;)

chiefcrash
12-08-2006, 9:48 AM
the not being able to recycle the casing excuse is bullcrap. all they gotta do is run a magnet over it (steel will stick to the magnet, brass won't). Stick the steel casing in a seperate pile. i doubt you can reload steel, but you can sell it to a recycling center. and if the reason is recycling issues, why do they let you shoot blazer (alluminum) but not wolf?

there is some truth to the backstop issues though. if the backstop is steel, then steel cased ammo will tear it up quicker. and there's worries about starting fires and what have you...

slick_711
12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
There are a couple reasons most ranges don't allow Wolf ammo...

A) Yes it is steel case, which can't be reloaded, so when they clean at the end of the night it has to be picked out of the brass, which is a pain in the arse.

B) The quality of Wolf ammo has been a lot better the last few years, but the original mil surplus ammo that was repackaged as Wolf was bad ammo and often malfunctioned in guns that were of a more precise design that an AK or SKS that will eat anything because they have loose tolerances.

C) Some of the Wolf ammo, even the new stuff, is bi-metal jacket or steel core, either of those cause a lot more damage to the steel traps at a firing range that your typical lead ammo does, and because all Wolf is steel case... the range masters can't easily tell which Wolf is steel/bi-metal projectile, so it is simply all disallowed. They won't allow M855 and other steel penetrator rounds for the same reason, but they don't usually put up signs to that extent because the average shooter doesn't know what M855 is.

D) Because of the steel to steel contact there is also a slim chance of the projectiles starting a fire; very slim chance but nevertheless a possibility.

E) And after all, although we'd all like them to simply be there to serve us, ranges are businesses, they do have to pay their employees, maintain the range, and its nice if they can even make a little money. Wolf ammo sells so cheap that if they did allow it to be shot they wouldn't sell any ammo. That's not so unreasonable...

You can always go shoot your Wolf in the desert/BLM/private land, I work at a range and I still drive to Jacumba to shoot out there occassionally. lol

chiefcrash
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
You can always go shoot your Wolf in the desert/BLM/private land, I work at a range and I still drive to Jacumba to shoot out there occassionally. lol

there are some ranges that allow wolf, mostly outdoor ranges though.

dw1784
12-08-2006, 1:21 PM
They are several Wolf branded russian ammo on the market. The "yellow boxed" (http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_63_47&products_id=1038) 122 gr are copper jacketed. The "military classic" (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=295994) and regular black/white boxed (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=217522) are copper wash steel jacketed.

jumbopanda
12-08-2006, 1:26 PM
I'm talking about outdoor ranges. There are several nearby and none of them allow it. It's getting pretty stupid, especially since I just ordered 2000 rounds :mad:

Plus, the only close BLM spot is shotgun only :mad:

By the way I live in SoCal, near LA

uglygun
12-08-2006, 3:04 PM
I work at a range

Gee, I couldn't tell...

And any range could figure out quite quickly what Wolf is or is not Bi-metal or has a steel jacketed bullet, Angeles range does it all the time with a simple magnent check. Not to mention, Wolf has conviently gone out and told the market what they offer with a bimetal jacket. None the 223Rem is bimetal, it's only in the various typical Russian 7.62 chamberings.

The more likely excuse for ranges, is that they want to profit off shooters who leave their brass behind and they are too lazy to strip the steel from the ordinary brass. It's okay, I won't frequent those ranges anymore than I would a range with the "if it touches the ground it's ours" policy for brass.

slick_711
12-09-2006, 8:03 PM
lol, Pick your brass up all you want, we have plenty of people picking up brass that isn't theirs... It's not like you didn't know when you bought the stuff that some places wouldn't allow you to shoot it... And we do use a magnetic to check, but if we allow one type of Wolf then we'll be expected to allow all of it, you said yourself that some is bi-metal and some isn't. It's not so unreasonable you guys are just too quick to whine when you can't shoot cheap ammo. I understand completely trust me, I like to shoot cheap too; I was simply trying to explain from the other side's point of view to possibly shed a little light. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree, but I don't make the policies. Start reloading if you want cheap ammo. I regularly put people on the lane of their choice if they want a wall or whatever so they can collect their brass, and there are brooms out there so you can clear the area before you start shooting or whatever. Or shoot elsewhere, like I said, I was just trying to shed a bit more light, doesn't mean I'm right or you have to agree ;)