PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Mags LE use only

X-IDF
05-24-2011, 12:18 AM
I just bought a used Ar 15 from another Calgunner and the rifle came with two 30 rd rebuilds. I just notice that both mags had stamps that read " for Govt and LE use only". Can they be used or do I need to destroy? Searched for answers in other threads with no luck.

REVIT9K
05-24-2011, 12:29 AM
You found these in the trash before the pre-ban... right?

I have dozens of GI magazines after I left the military. It's not a big deal. Just make sure to only load 10 rounds into them, or if your paranoid you can block it to only accept 10 rounds ;which is a waste of a perfectly good magazine.

bluebird
05-24-2011, 12:30 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6296937&postcount=2

FYI Google is better than the search function if you didn't use Google.

X-IDF
05-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the quick response, love the Calgun Family

Reductio
05-24-2011, 12:40 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

thrillhouse700
05-24-2011, 1:45 AM

I have dozens of GI magazines after I left the military. It's not a big deal. Just make sure to only load 10 rounds into them, or if your paranoid you can block it to only accept 10 rounds ;which is a waste of a perfectly good magazine.

Dude don't give advice that will get people in trouble. It is a big deal, if used in a bullet buttoned rifle its a felony. You can buy mag blocks that do not destroy magazines.

X-IDF
05-24-2011, 2:03 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

Thanks Reductio, I already found this post. Didn't see anything on the "LE only" mags in this post though and that was my main concern, otherwise I'm pretty much on par with the Mag laws (as much as you can be)

Uhhlexxxis
05-24-2011, 2:11 AM
sounds like jail time to me.. win

jshoebot
05-24-2011, 2:33 AM

X-IDF, don't listen to this guy. Do NOT assemble the magazines, that's a felony. It is legal to keep the magazines disassembled, permanently block them to only accept 10 rounds, or you can use the parts to rebuild your previously-owned 'large capacity' magazines.

You don't need to destroy them, the 'LE/GOVT Use Only' was only relevant between 1994 and 2004 during the federal 'Assault Weapons' ban. Since the sunset of that ban, the markings mean nothing.

Reductio
05-24-2011, 2:37 AM
X-IDF, don't listen to this guy. Do NOT assemble the magazines, that's a felony. It is legal to keep the magazines disassembled, permanently block them to only accept 10 rounds, or you can use the parts to rebuild your previously-owned 'large capacity' magazines.

You don't need to destroy them, the 'LE/GOVT Use Only' was only relevant between 1994 and 2004 during the federal 'Assault Weapons' ban. Since the sunset of that ban, the markings mean nothing.

All correct, with the added clarification that assembly = felony only in CA (or other state with similar 10+ rd laws). You're free to assemble them once you're out of state for your AZ or NV shooting trip, then break them back down before you cross back into commifornia.

jshoebot
05-24-2011, 3:03 AM
All correct, with the added clarification that assembly = felony only in CA (or other state with similar 10+ rd laws). You're free to assemble them once you're out of state for your AZ or NV shooting trip, then break them back down before you cross back into commifornia.

Totally forgot to add that, thanks for getting my back! :thumbsup:

X-IDF
05-24-2011, 3:12 AM

And as a final clarification.. even if I do use them to rebuild my pre-owned large caps, I still won't be able to use them in this Ar with bullet button and features. That would still deem it an Assault Rifle...Right?

SanPedroShooter
05-24-2011, 5:56 AM
That is exactly right. "fixed magazine" (one with a bb) means no mag over ten rounds.

If you have a rifle with no "evil" SB23 features (refered to as a featureless rifle) you can use your 10+ mags that you had before the ban.

ha ha I posted at 5.56 am...

DudeDoug2000
05-24-2011, 5:56 AM
And as a final clarification.. even if I do use them to rebuild my pre-owned large caps, I still won't be able to use them in this Ar with bullet button and features. That would still deem it an Assault Rifle...Right?

Correct

dieselpower
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM
you made this thread twice?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=436610

spdrcr
05-24-2011, 10:53 AM

:eek: Wow, that is some of the worst advice I have read on CalGuns.