PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my newly rebarelled Squirrel Rifle to the Range

fishnfst
05-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Been waiting to bring my new squirrel rifle to the range.. Finally had a day off with some nice weather.. Loaded up 50 rounds to fireform the brass to my new chamber and I was off... The barrel was brand new so I went through my normal break in procedure.. Shoot 1 then clean shoot 2 then clean shoot three then clean so on and so forth.. I clean with shooters choice and kroil then a wet patch with boretech eliminator until the patches no longer come out blue or green.. After I shot the two and clean I didn't get any copper on the patches so figured I would shoot a group.. This was shots 4-9 through this brand new barrel using a load that I had never shot before.. I'm sure with a little load development the groups will tighten up.. There is a little bit of vertical stringing in the group .. I will play with seating depth a bit on the next go round.. I was trying for a .015 jam into the lands but missed the opposite direction by about .020 hahaha.. The chamber was throated for the 107grain SMK so teh 80 grain FB bullets are a tad short.. Looks like this baby will hold MOS "minute of squirrel" without a problem..

Rifle Specs:
Rem 40x SA
Krieger 28" LV 1-8tw 6mm
40x trigger with safety removed tuned to 1.2lbs
Tubb Recoil Lug
Badger Knob
HS Stock
Badger FTE Brake

On a side note the rifle recoils like my .17hmr.. I can see the hits at 100 yards with a 14x scope.. This is gonna be awesome on the ground squirrels..

I wanted to give props to one of our members here who did the action truing, barrel fitting and chambering.. Kendog4570 was great to work with .. Great communication and the job was completed in the time frame promised... Look forward to working with him again on my next project..

5 shot group @100 yards I don't have calipers handy but you could cover all 5 shots with a dime..

http://hkophoto.smugmug.com/Other/Trip-Down-South-with-the/i-qjcWfV5/0/XL/HKO6796-XL.jpg

Beetle Bailey
05-23-2011, 11:36 PM
A 28" barrel and a FTE brake for a 6mm BR? :D

fishnfst
05-23-2011, 11:49 PM
I wanted to be able to see the hits on the ground squirrels.. I normally use Vais brakes but they make a huge mess while shooting prone.. I left the extra 2 inches of barrel to try and squeeze out the last bit of velocity .. I was hoping to make 2850 fps with the 107grain smk..

Beetle Bailey
05-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Don't get me wrong. I think it's a sweet set-up :D Congrats and happy hunting!

louscamaro91
05-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Let's see a picture of the rifle!:)

straykiller
05-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Let's see a picture of the rifle!:)

aggreeddd

killshot44
05-25-2011, 12:35 AM
With an 8 twist that should looooove the 105/108s. I'm a Berger guy but, the Lapua 105s shoot in the .3s/.4s, you should give them a try.

Ken's a good dude. Add some pics when you can.

fishnfst
05-25-2011, 9:53 PM
I was waiting for this thread is worthless without pics hahahah.. I'll get a pic up of it when I get a chance...