PDA

View Full Version : Great Experience with Riverside Police!

SpringfieldEMP
05-23-2011, 9:55 PM
As I was speeding (85 or 90mph) down the freeway from Phoenix AZ back to So Cal, I was stopped by one of Riverside's finest. After pacing me on the freeway for a few miles he finally decided to pull me over.

He casually walked up to the passenger side of the vehicle, ( i knew i was busted so I was happily taking my medicine and complying with everything) and asked me to exit the vehicle with my license and registration...

I informed him that it was in the glovebox so I would not raise concern while digging it out. I gathered the requested documents and exited the vehicle and met him on the side of the road away from traffic.

I answered all his question truthfully during his "fishing" expedition. Then, he asked if I had any weapons in the car... As things were going smoothly, I told him that I did indeed have my handgun unloaded and locked in the trunk of the car...

He asked "what kind of gun do you have?" and "is it registered to you?" I told him its my springfield EMP and yes its registered to me.

He made some small talk about long distance relationships (My reason for coming back from AZ), smiled and handed me back my information and said.. "Take is easy out there and keep the speed down."

We shook hands and parted ways. He never asked to check the weapon, and did not give me a hard time at all.

I could not believe how well the whole encounter went. It was really refreshing to have such a good experience.

This one encounter has done wonders for public relations as far as I am concerned. Not everyone has become jaded, and there are still good people out there.

So, Keep up the good work. I wish I could remember his name so I could give him the recognition he deserves. :)

Baconator
05-23-2011, 10:01 PM
As I was speeding (85 or 90mph) down the freeway from Phoenix AZ back to So Cal, I was stopped by one of Riverside's finest. After pacing me on the freeway for a few miles he finally decided to pull me over.

He casually walked up to the passenger side of the vehicle, ( i knew i was busted so I was happily taking my medicine and complying with everything) and asked me to exit the vehicle with my license and registration...

I informed him that it was in the glovebox so I would not raise concern while digging it out. I gathered the requested documents and exited the vehicle and met him on the side of the road away from traffic.

I answered all his question truthfully during his "fishing" expedition. Then, he asked if I had any weapons in the car... As things were going smoothly, I told him that I did indeed have my handgun unloaded and locked in the trunk of the car...

He asked "what kind of gun do you have?" and "is it registered to you?" I told him its my springfield EMP and yes its registered to me.

He made some small talk about long distance relationships (My reason for coming back from AZ), smiled and handed me back my information and said.. "Take is easy out there and keep the speed down."

We shook hands and parted ways. He never asked to check the weapon, and did not give me a hard time at all.

I could not believe how well the whole encounter went. It was really refreshing to have such a good experience.

This one encounter has done wonders for public relations as far as I am concerned. Not everyone has become jaded, and there are still good people out there.

So, Keep up the good work. I wish I could remember his name so I could give him the recognition he deserves. :)

Wait, you mean you didn't act like a dick and as a result he wasn't a dick? No way.:D

Soldier415
05-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Wait, you mean you didn't act like a dick and as a result he wasn't a dick? No way.:D
How dare you respond with anything other than "am I being detained?"

TRICKSTER
05-23-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't believe it. You were honest and the officer didn't cite you, or check, let alone confiscate your weapon. Don't you know that according to the Calguns 4th Amendment Keyboard Commandos, you are to only open your window wide enough to pass your papers through, refuse to answer any questions and hand the officer a card stating you do not consent to a search and want your attorney. The world has gone mad, mad I tell you. :eek:

IrishJoe3
05-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Did you only roll the window down a half inch and slide a "I wish to remain silent" card out?

Welcome to about 98% of traffic stops.

As you found out, we really don't care about your lawfully owned weapons.

IrishJoe3
05-23-2011, 10:23 PM

Who'da thunk?!?! :cool:

SpringfieldEMP
05-23-2011, 10:29 PM

I know.. Right! :D

SpringfieldEMP
05-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Did you only roll the window down a half inch and slide a "I wish to remain silent" card out?

Welcome to about 98% of traffic stops.

As you found out, we really don't care about your lawfully owned weapons.

Of course, all the internet commandos made me nervous with the stance that "all police are out to take your weapons" that they seem to take. It was just really refreshing to have an experience that was 100% opposite of what I read about. I really believe that they bring on the trouble themselves...

KandyRedCoi
05-23-2011, 10:36 PM
never had any issues with riverside pd or sheriff etc. thumbs up

Bobby Ricigliano
05-23-2011, 10:37 PM
I for one support a legally armed, responsible populace. I am not out to "take your weapons". Legally owned firearms are a non-issue. Since I always develop good PC before stopping somebody, when they roll down the window half an inch and say "am I being detained?" I respond with "Yes".

Notorious
05-24-2011, 6:38 AM
You get the kind of policing you deserve.

Will Goes Boing
05-24-2011, 8:06 AM
Haha It's good to see that not everyone on calguns are tinfoiled hat wearing nutjobs. Glad you got a good experience with a LE contact. Being honest and courteous and just talking to the officer/deputy like a normal human being is all you have to. A lot of these guys who had bad experience with LE probably had their guns/lock boxes in plain view (Stupid to begin with) and when confronted by the officer/deputy, they do the whole, "I'm not going to say anything" and act like a non-compliant dick.

ckim34
05-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Agreed

Us3rName
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Riverside tend to have some level headed leos. When I lived in parris riverside. A few of my good friends were leos.

psango
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM

True.

It's sad people don't realize this.

Notorious
05-24-2011, 6:11 PM
I've had people who committed felonies but they were straight up and didn't get stupid. I had to arrest them and do my job but I didn't have to escalate in words or action. I've had people get stupid on a simple t-stop and they learned that sitting on a curb while I do my business may not be to their best interest.

I don't abuse my authority or act out of retaliatory intent but if you ratchet it up and pique my interest, then I will do what I have to do to safely finish my business. If that means I go digging deeper because you made me suspicious, then so be it.

sacshooter1
05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Wow, you were completely honest, courteous , and legal and the cop didn't thrown you on the ground, tase you over and over, then steal your guns? I don't think that I believe you because that is what ALWAYS happens. Maybe "the Man" paid you to put this post up here so that more people will just tell leo's that they have guns so that we can more easily abuse our power to conduct unlawful searches and take all the guns off the streets so that we are the only ones with guns. Then were gonna take over every city....

Oh wait, that isn't gonna happen? Weird.

lavgrunt
05-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks for being an honest, straight up guy and not 'playing games'..........And above all, THANKS for not throwing out the usual line........

".........I do not consent to a search !!!!........"

Amazing what a little cooperation will getcha.............

Notorious
05-25-2011, 8:57 AM
I bet the OP is a cop. He's undercover. Throwing out this lie so other civilians will fall into the trap and be cooperative with us so we can take all their guns! Wahahaha!!!

retired
05-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Ok guys, I believe everyone has made their point with their respective "lightly" sarcastic comments, so let's not continue.:) The OP only wanted to relay his experience with the leo who stopped him, so please keep your comments directed toward that.

Thanks.

TRICKSTER
05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
You acted like a normal person and was treated as such.
If you had followed the advise of some of the keyboard commandos here, it might have gone something like this.

Yea....I had a LEO try to enter my vehicle without my consent! I locked my vehicle after I was asked to exist during a traffic stop...He asked for my keys! I told him "My keys are in my right pocket". He told me to hand them over...I responded by "I don't consent to a search of my person, property and vehicle...This went back and forward for awhile! Then I was arrested....car searched! Charged with a 148! Going to court over this right now! Got a lawyer and everthing! Even if I win, its money out my pocket! Your 4th amendemnt rights don't mean sh*t during a traffic stop.....LOL!

Also he knew about my guns before he came to my car door! So be carefull, when dealing with Leos and asserting your rights in this state....It can get you thrown in jail.... Maybe I should've had one of those's cards with me....

Quite a contrast, isn't it?

Fjold
05-25-2011, 3:43 PM
I wonder what would happen if you told him that the gun wasn't registered to you? I have guns that I bought when I lived out of state (person to person) that I did not register in California when I moved back because it wasn't required then.

mag360
05-27-2011, 3:54 PM
so he gave you a ticket for speeding, and it sounds like you want to jump in bed with the guy? wtf.

biochembruin
05-27-2011, 4:52 PM
so he gave you a ticket for speeding, and it sounds like you want to jump in bed with the guy? wtf.

Where does it say the officer gave him a ticket? Maybe you should read a little more closely.

Notorious
05-27-2011, 5:43 PM
Where does it say the officer gave him a ticket? Maybe you should read a little more closely.

There you go again with your facts!

biochembruin
05-27-2011, 6:02 PM
There you go again with your facts!

They have a nasty way of getting in the way of people's opinions.

Notorious
05-27-2011, 6:09 PM
They have a nasty way of getting in the way of people's opinions.

Not just opinions, but they get in the way of people's perception of reality and then it really messes up their whole world because the true facts don't match their "facts".:chris:

TRICKSTER
05-27-2011, 9:31 PM

Some people see only what they want to see, even if it's not there.:rolleyes:

haodoken
05-28-2011, 8:30 AM

Here we go again! :rolleyes: