PDA

View Full Version : Ak variant question

Slipshot
05-23-2011, 4:55 PM
I'm a newb here and to firearms as well. I was interested in buying an AK-47 or more specifically a variant ak as some call it. I was wondering what people's opinions were on Arsenal's SLG21. I've read numerous reviews online and they seem to be mixed. I'd rather get personal opinions from fellow Cali gun owners. Also what is the difference between an SLG21 and an SLG23? I couldn't find a solid answer for that online. Guess I should take a rifle handling class at some point to know what I'm getting into as well.

DudeDoug2000
05-23-2011, 5:05 PM
The SGL-23 has a mag lock already Installed, The SGL-21 If It's In California already most likely has a Bullet Button or the like already Installed but can be removed (Read the laws stay out of jail) I have the 23 because thats what my local gun shop had. Lot's of people hate It because of the Integrated mag lock, I don't mind It I have no plans to take this particular rifle out of state and don't need It for "Hi cap" mags have others for that. They are nice and are Russian but to be honest It's my one and only Arsenal and I won't buy another due to the cost. They are nice but the finish on them sucks but thats an easy to fix problem but do you really want to have to fix a 800$+ rifle... It seems most peoples beef with them come from the cost. I'll say this I have close to 4000 rounds thru mine with not one malfunction even with Tapco mags which people told me not to get. YMMV

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2011, 5:15 PM
As a California gun owner and AK builder, I would never spend my money on an Arsenal for two reasons. First, IMHO, while they have finally conceded that AKs are legal in CA, just two years ago, they were still threatening to cut off wholesalers who ship their guns to CA. This caused a lot of headaches for many people and caused many out of state vendors to believe their FUD and refuse to ship lots of other legal guns to CA. Yea, they have sort of seen the light but, I feel they have a lot of work to do to make up for their past mistakes.

As far as the quality of their Saiga conversions (that's what you are looking at), they are fine but again, IMHO, they are overpriced. I suggest contacting sjgunguy24 and seeing if he can build you the same rifle cheaper. That way, you would also be supporting California's gun bussiness while saving a buck or two.

chead
05-23-2011, 5:16 PM
I've got an SGL33-61 which I like a lot. The finish isn't very durable, and I replaced the mag lock with a Solar Tactical "shroud" style, but otherwise it's a great rifle. Well built, good fit, great shooter.

rojocorsa
05-23-2011, 5:41 PM
If you're getting an SGL, you're better off with the 21, NOT the 23, IMHO.

I plan to buy one maybe later this year, when I can afford it.

I suggest contacting sjgunguy24 and seeing if he can build you the same rifle cheaper.

He told me that it would more or less be the same, in price. It's because of the parts mostly.

cruddymutt
05-23-2011, 5:57 PM
Get yourself a saiga and convert it.

This right here

chadd446
05-23-2011, 6:29 PM
Buy the Arsenal. It's a great Ak with a warranty. Shoot the heck out of it knowing you have a great gun. Don't buy a gun some Chester "converted" in his garage.

Slipshot
05-23-2011, 6:45 PM
Hey, thanks for the comments guys. I'm still a bit on the fence about getting Arsenal product. The gun guy I visited a couple of days ago said the same thing about how they really made things hard for wholesalers awhile back in Cali. I fully intend to buy an AK of some sort here in Cali and hopefully through one one the local dealers. The problem is I don't know too many stores in the southbay that sell legal Aks. THere's one in Milpitas and they had one really sweet looking ak105 but the price was really up there. But man it was really nice.

Out of curiosity, where can I get a Saiga locally and is there anything special I haveto do to get it converted? How much does a Saiga usually go for and how much on average to get it converted? Thanks again.

Mr_Monkeywrench
05-23-2011, 7:09 PM
One day I WILL get an AK variant. But I can promise you it WILL NOT Be an Arsenal for the reasons that CSACannoneer stated

nanoc
05-23-2011, 7:10 PM
Not taking sides but from what iv seen there is no huge difference between Saiga's converted "proffetionaly" from company's and one's converted at home. Although i have seen some pretty crappy rivets jobs before or none at all. :whistling:

zfields
05-23-2011, 7:17 PM
One day I WILL get an AK variant. But I can promise you it WILL NOT Be an Arsenal for the reasons that CSACannoneer stated

big ole plus 1

chead
05-23-2011, 8:17 PM
Not on the one they manufacture and market for California. You need to drill out the mag catch pin and install a new one.

I've done it myself, there's no drilling required. The pin has a retainer on one side that you can remove with your finger, then you punch it out the other side. Put the new pin, spring, and latch in. Done.

NorCalK9.com
05-23-2011, 8:19 PM
Buy the Arsenal. It's a great Ak with a warranty. Shoot the heck out of it knowing you have a great gun. Don't buy a gun some Chester "converted" in his garage.

Well this chester just finished a m63 kit and id take it any day over your pretty lil sgl hell ill take my wast for the price over that sgl

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2011, 8:49 PM
I've done it myself, there's no drilling required. The pin has a retainer on one side that you can remove with your finger, then you punch it out the other side. Put the new pin, spring, and latch in. Done.

Cool. They must have changed something from their original design.

chead
05-23-2011, 9:48 PM
Cool. They must have changed something from their original design.

I have no idea what it was before the rifle I have, but now it's a standard mag latch that's been cut in half.