PDA

View Full Version : What Reflex sight for XD 9MM 5

TBDesigns
05-23-2011, 4:29 PM
I would like to get a reflex red dot sight for my xd 9mm 5" tact what do you recommend?

Looking for something like this

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/BU300232.jpg

bn91205
05-23-2011, 9:05 PM
Is your intention to mount it to your slide?

I would like to get a reflex red dot sight for my xd 9mm 5" tact what do you recommend?

Looking for something like this

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/BU300232.jpg

TBDesigns
05-23-2011, 9:17 PM
Where Else could I put it if not on the slide?

zfields
05-23-2011, 9:32 PM
some are frame mounted with a bracket....

not usually on poly guns though

sniper4usmc
05-23-2011, 9:47 PM
I think mako makes Frame mounted scope mount for Glock,XD,etc,but very ugly..
I would go with slide mount route with http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=537471

elSquid
05-23-2011, 9:52 PM

http://bb-enterprise.biz/item178586.ctlg

http://web.iwebcenters.com/bbenterprise/images/35Hunter.jpg

I've got a hunter mount on an XD Tactical.

-- Michael

leelaw
05-23-2011, 10:40 PM
I'd say a Trijicon RMR, but those things are on backorder almost everywhere.

Yes, I think their lifetime warranty and quality of craftsmanship makes them worth more than the Burris Fastfire options.

bn91205
05-23-2011, 11:39 PM
The Burris Fastfire is not the ideal choice for a slide-mounted optic, it simply does not hold up to the rigors of being mounted in that fashion. It's main weakness is in its inability to withstand the violent movement of the slide.

The Fastfire has an on/off switch that is recoil sensitive therefore from the "on" position, the inertia of the slide cycling is enough to switch it off. I prefer a sight that is stays on constantly (ready as soon as I pick up the firearm), shutting off only when covered or in complete darkness or is button operated. While you can certainly tape the switch to get it to stay "on" for a few rounds; why bother? Also, jargon aside, the wiring inside the Fastfire was simply not made to stay in tact when slide-mounted. This will be an ongoing issue and after the 1-year warranty is expired, you will have to pay for this service... continually. It has been my experience that most reflex sights on the market will not handle this type of abuse for long periods of time i.e, a few hundred/thousand rounds - some will meet their demise sooner than others.

The best two candidates IMO?

The Trijicon RMR (as Leelaw pointed out) is hands down the most durable and ruggedly-built reflex sight on the market - it was made to take the abuse. Clarity of the glass is exceptional. I have a few minor gripes though as battery life is not exactly to where the description specifies; it is adequate but not as good as a Docter. Also, the dot (even on the LED model which I recommend) is not as bright as I personally would like. The sight is wider than most reflex sights and overhang off the width of the slide will be present; not really an issue if you don't mind the aesthetics. In the case of an RM02, it stays on!

The Leupold Deltapoint has a superb battery life and clarity of the glass is outstanding. Special attention was given to the wiring as it will withstand quite a bit of recoil. Gripes? If you are used to a dot, the triangle will definitely take some getting used to assuming you are going with the larger MOA. I am not too sure the advantages of the light sensory feature where it will adjust to "conform" to exterior lighting conditions. It is a bit slow in its adjustment. While this delay isn't a big issue, it does shave off some time in acquiring the first shot. The auto-off/movement feature is not much of an issue and it reacts instantly to movement, all the while saving you battery life.

Best of luck in your decision. Let us know how it goes!

762.DEFENSE
05-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Get the new Leopuld :)

TBDesigns
05-24-2011, 6:29 AM
The Burris Fastfire is not the ideal choice for a slide-mounted optic, it simply does not hold up to the rigors of being mounted in that fashion. It's main weakness is in its inability to withstand the violent movement of the slide.

The Fastfire has an on/off switch that is recoil sensitive therefore from the "on" position, the inertia of the slide cycling is enough to switch it off. I prefer a sight that is stays on constantly (ready as soon as I pick up the firearm), shutting off only when covered or in complete darkness or is button operated. While you can certainly tape the switch to get it to stay "on" for a few rounds; why bother? Also, jargon aside, the wiring inside the Fastfire was simply not made to stay in tact when slide-mounted. This will be an ongoing issue and after the 1-year warranty is expired, you will have to pay for this service... continually. It has been my experience that most reflex sights on the market will not handle this type of abuse for long periods of time i.e, a few hundred/thousand rounds - some will meet their demise sooner than others.

The best two candidates IMO?

The Trijicon RMR (as Leelaw pointed out) is hands down the most durable and ruggedly-built reflex sight on the market - it was made to take the abuse. Clarity of the glass is exceptional. I have a few minor gripes though as battery life is not exactly to where the description specifies; it is adequate but not as good as a Docter. Also, the dot (even on the LED model which I recommend) is not as bright as I personally would like. The sight is wider than most reflex sights and overhang off the width of the slide will be present; not really an issue if you don't mind the aesthetics. In the case of an RM02, it stays on!

The Leupold Deltapoint has a superb battery life and clarity of the glass is outstanding. Special attention was given to the wiring as it will withstand quite a bit of recoil. Gripes? If you are used to a dot, the triangle will definitely take some getting used to assuming you are going with the larger MOA. I am not too sure the advantages of the light sensory feature where it will adjust to "conform" to exterior lighting conditions. It is a bit slow in its adjustment. While this delay isn't a big issue, it does shave off some time in acquiring the first shot. The auto-off/movement feature is not much of an issue and it reacts instantly to movement, all the while saving you battery life.

Best of luck in your decision. Let us know how it goes!

Looking to stay in the $200ish price range that one is $600 :eek:

DaveFJ80
05-24-2011, 8:27 AM
I would say Trijicon RMR-A, and have somebody like OSD do the work. But since you want to stay in the $200 range, IMO you're not going to find many good pistol reflex sights to use.

Here's a Trij RMR on a XD. Looks good, and I have a similar setup on my Glock. But definitely out of the price range you want to be in.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/images/products/detail/IMG_0829.jpg

TBDesigns
05-24-2011, 8:32 AM
looks good what was the total cost for your sight?

DaveFJ80
05-24-2011, 8:40 AM
The Trijicon RMR alone is anywhere from $550 - $600. Add in the taller suppressor sights so you can co-witness with the red dot ($50) and milling your slide to accept the RMR ($200), that's about what you can expect before doing more.

TBDesigns
05-24-2011, 8:43 AM
WOW thanks for the info. Way out of my price range. Maybe I have to find another regular sight I like better. The stock one is just hard for me to see and line up.

leelaw
05-24-2011, 10:00 AM
The Trijicon RMR alone is anywhere from $550 - $600. Add in the taller suppressor sights so you can co-witness with the red dot ($50) and milling your slide to accept the RMR ($200), that's about what you can expect before doing more.
If you can wait for one to come into stock, SWFA offers a 110% price match, and they did so on a quote of about $360 + free shipping from botach.

I'm a return customer to SWFA for the pricing and customer service they offer, and bought a second optic in addition to the RMR because of it.

DaveFJ80
05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
If you can wait for one to come into stock, SWFA offers a 110% price match, and they did so on a quote of about $360 + free shipping from botach.

Cool, I'll look into that since I was going to setup another handgun with a RMR & suppressor sights again.