PDA

View Full Version : Weak hand thumb forward grip cause slide not lock back!

P220
05-23-2011, 4:08 PM
Hi, guys, I just speak a little English. Try my best.
I have large hands(can pick up a full-size basketball easily),
I always use common "thumb forward grip", when I fire my Glock 23(Gen3), almost 70% percentage that slide not lock back when last round. 100% happened on my friends Sig P220. But never happened on 1911 and M&P45/40.
I guess because my weak hand(left) is touching the slide stop when firing.

Please help how to solve this problem without change my familiar grip.

Thank you very much!

HU

nrvnqsrxk
05-23-2011, 4:11 PM
Either it's a problem with your gun, or you're inadvertently depressing the slide lock with either hand. Try loading the gun with one round, shooting it with one hand, and seeing if the slide locks back.

SixPointEight
05-23-2011, 4:16 PM
It's either your thumbs or palm hitting the slide lock. In my case, my strong hand thumb was being pressed into the slide release. The fix? Put my strong hand thumb onto the outside of my weak hand, now nothing hits the release.

P220
05-23-2011, 4:19 PM
Thanks! I have tried with one hand, it's locked to rear every time. So I guess it's my high weak hand grip reason. I really want to buy a P220 SAO, I am ok with Sig's high barrel axis, but really don't like the slide stop position.

BigDogatPlay
05-23-2011, 5:53 PM
It's either your thumbs or palm hitting the slide lock. In my case, my strong hand thumb was being pressed into the slide release. The fix? Put my strong hand thumb onto the outside of my weak hand, now nothing hits the release.

^^^This is a good solution^^^

From what I read the OP is perhaps taking a very high grip with the weak hand, which is going to cause an issue if that is the case. I'm sitting here with a blue gun of a P226 trying to replicate and that's the conclusion I come to.

The OP can consider rotating the weak hand wrist down an inch or so, and positioning the weak hand with the thumb touching the frame under the very front of the takedown lever. Then let your strong hand thumb ride up on top of the base of your weak hand thumb. With this method your strong hand thumb is nowhere near the slide stop, and the base of the weak hand thumb is positioned below the slide stop.

I have very large hands and this is how I shoot all my Sigs. Never have had a problem with failure to lock open and I maintain a very positive push / pull grip.

zfields
05-23-2011, 5:59 PM
very common problem. I knotice with my plastic gun I do this a lot, never with my CZ or hipower.

Some shooters do the overlapped thumb ( which I do ), some go with a sorta flared out thumb. Really either works, go with what is comfortable.

Fishslayer
05-23-2011, 7:25 PM
Please help how to solve this problem without change my familiar grip.

Thank you very much!

HU
My wife had the same problem. She didn't need to change her grip very much, problem solved.

This will make you aware of where your thumbs are at. ;)

http://www.weaponsandgear.com/pictures/_S/_Smith%20&%20Wesson/SW163504FC_1.jpg

P220
05-24-2011, 3:05 PM
Thank you all! It's very helpful, I will try this weekend.:rolleyes: