PDA

View Full Version : Legality of ambidextrous magazine release on AK

REVIT9K
05-23-2011, 1:34 PM
Thought I would get some feedback from you guys regarding this.

I recently acquired a AK-style rifle with a bullet button (more of a shroud).

Would adding this (http://www.24hourtactical.com/EMA-Tactical-AK-47-Ambidextrous-Quick-Magazine-Release-Adapter-AKMR.htm) make the gun illegal?

I'm thinking yes - as all its doing is extending the OEM mag release

I'm thinking no - as in it's technically a "tool" that is used to disengage the magazine.... but it's also connected to the rifle.

I'm conflicted. What do you guys think?

SJgunguy24
05-23-2011, 1:38 PM
The simplest way to explain the law is, do you need to use anything other then you finger to drop the mag? Yes, then your GTG with features. No, then your better have papers or be featureless.

rareair
05-23-2011, 2:06 PM
It will make your rifle non-California compliant.

munkeeboi
05-23-2011, 2:11 PM
The simplest way to explain the law is, do you need to use anything other then you finger to drop the mag? Yes, then your GTG with features. No, then your better have papers or be featureless.

well put.

REVIT9K
05-23-2011, 2:12 PM
well put.

The Kydex grips your selling would make my AK "featureless" and I could use the OEM mag release with 30rd magazines, right?

Some of these regulations are extremely asinine.

PEBKAC
05-23-2011, 2:16 PM
The Kydex grips your selling would make my AK "featureless" and I could use the OEM mag release with 30rd magazines, right?

Some of these regulations are extremely asinine.
As long as the stock doesn't fold, the muzzle device is not a flash hider, and you don't have a VFG or flare launcher attached, yes a grip wrap would allow you to run a featureless setup.

Also, welcome to California law. Prepare to put your thinking cap on, because lord knows the people that made the laws didn't have theirs...or maybe never did.