PDA

View Full Version : feedback on Plum Crazy Lowers

Drivedabizness
05-23-2011, 1:53 PM
Looking to build my first AR and funds are tight.

Anything bad about these lowers? I'm sure there are better ones but are they serviceable?

Not making anything fancy...just entry level

jimmythebrain
05-23-2011, 2:00 PM
You can get a Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower from Brownell's for around $89 plus about $15 for shipping. I would get one of these over the Plum Crazy lowers as the Plum Crazy lowers are polymer (upgraded plastic) not aluminum.

Just my opinion. BTW I have never built anything with a Plum Crazy lower so I cannot comment on fit or durability or quality of these.

I have built several lowers with Spike's Tactical stripped lowers and these have went together well with RRA LPK's and fit the different uppers well (YHM, Spike's, Stag, No-name keyhole forge upper).

Milsurps
05-23-2011, 2:00 PM
They work fine for me. YMMV

bollero
05-23-2011, 2:20 PM
i have shot a AR with a plum crazy lower and it feels real nice...

OutkastSL
05-23-2011, 2:22 PM
there are plenty of metal lowers that you can get at a great price. If you want the poly lower for weight reduction then the PC is the way to go.

diego-ted
05-23-2011, 2:28 PM
You can get a Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower from Brownell's for around $89 plus about $15 for shipping. I would get one of these over the Plum Crazy lowers as the Plum Crazy lowers are polymer (upgraded plastic) not aluminum.

Just my opinion. BTW I have never built anything with a Plum Crazy lower so I cannot comment on fit or durability or quality of these.

I have built several lowers with Spike's Tactical stripped lowers and these have went together well with RRA LPK's and fit the different uppers well (YHM, Spike's, Stag, No-name keyhole forge upper).

Stripped vs. full lower, no comparison! The PC works great and has a very nice trigger. I use one on my bull 22" 223.

Diego

nrvnqsrxk
05-23-2011, 2:30 PM
Don't do it!!!!

dieselpower
05-23-2011, 2:33 PM
On a tight budget, PC is the way to go. You can slowly replace each part over a long period of time. Use my Builders list in my sig. Every paycheck buy one part. After a year...bam all the parts to build an aluminum AR15.

There is no way a regular AR15 lower can be priced as a PC. So on a budget you get a PC lower and just work toward replacing each part.

nrvnqsrxk
05-23-2011, 2:36 PM
Would it be too much to ask to save a little more and just buy once? :o

OutkastSL
05-23-2011, 2:40 PM
in my debate of PC lower vs metal I decided metal because I wanted it to be durable. I think if you built it right, don't overtorque the castlenut, and if it was just a plinker...the PC is GTG.

I still may get a PC lower just for my dedicated 22lr build.

dieselpower
05-23-2011, 2:48 PM
pictures mean nothing without knowing the back story.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/meansnothing.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/imagesCAW2G7W7.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/imagesCA2V7CYL.jpg

gunn
05-23-2011, 2:54 PM
Every paycheck buy one part. After a year...bam all the parts to build an aluminum AR15.

Disagree:
Unless you are talking about buying each part on the used market, the only folks that come out ahead with this plan of action are the UPS shareholders.

Every paycheck, I recommend saving your pennies in this magical jar called a savings acct. When you have accumulated enough cash, blow your wad and buy them all at once.

For bonus points, use a 1% cashback CC to save a few more bucks ($10 on a $1000 worth of parts.)
-g

RGERBER
05-23-2011, 3:00 PM
I also want to build on a Plum Crazy lower, I want it for weight reduction, and I am waiting for their lowers to come out with no logo, have been waiting 6-9 months.

mif_slim
05-23-2011, 3:10 PM
PC triggers are awsome. I can bumpfire it with easy. I actually want to buy the PC FCG for my aluminum lower because of its nice break/crisp feel.

People who hate on PC are usually the one who cant stand polymer stuff anyways..
First came cars made with steel, then it went to aluminum, then to carbon fiber...
guns first came with steel and wood, then aluminum then polymer...
Get with the program people, technology is making better things now-a-days.

6 PC in my circle of friends, all fire fine with no issues.

dieselpower
05-23-2011, 3:47 PM
Disagree:
Unless you are talking about buying each part on the used market, the only folks that come out ahead with this plan of action are the UPS shareholders.

Every paycheck, I recommend saving your pennies in this magical jar called a savings acct. When you have accumulated enough cash, blow your wad and buy them all at once.

For bonus points, use a 1% cashback CC to save a few more bucks ($10 on a $1000 worth of parts.)
-g

you are kidding right? There is this new marvelous thing, just got invented... called a GUN SHOP... Holy cow man...you actually get off your butt and go there...in real life..and BUY a gun part. You get to meet a local gun guy,....maybe make a real live Friend too!!!!

gsrious
05-23-2011, 5:11 PM
im with slim, pc lower gtg. Been about 2-3k rounds deep into it and no hiccup at all.

Drivedabizness
05-23-2011, 5:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I really appreciate it. Once I get the lower ordered / in DROS I'll start shopping hard for an upper.

Capita159
05-23-2011, 5:23 PM
Would it be too much to ask to save a little more and just buy once? :o

HOLY COW?!?!?! Time to be gentle with the castle nut wrench.
I've seen a S&W15 trigger guard break with the second pound of the hammer.

The things I've replaced on our PC is the mag catch and take down pins. Metal magazines don't like plastic mag catches. And I've also replaced the take down pins with mil-spec metal. We're using a carbon upper with our PC lower. It is easlier to trace wear on the two receivers and prefer the pins that holds them together be solid-er. Other than that, don't do a Daniel Defense torture test on your PC lower; it'll probably won't pass the first stage, lol.

Rob454
05-23-2011, 7:18 PM
I don't know man. i just have some sort of mental block when it comes to polymer/plastic guns. Every one I had I ended up selling cause I just flat out did not trust them. When it came time to build a few ARs to get the whole what is the big deal about building one I ended up going with metal lowers.

dieselpower
05-23-2011, 7:23 PM
I don't know man. i just have some sort of mental block when it comes to polymer/plastic guns. Every one I had I ended up selling cause I just flat out did not trust them. When it came time to build a few ARs to get the whole what is the big deal about building one I ended up going with metal lowers.

Do you have issues with Glock?

morrcarr67
05-23-2011, 7:32 PM
Do you have issues with Glock?

Or any of the other 100 plus guns that are made of polymer?

morrcarr67
05-23-2011, 7:33 PM
I have my PC lower in the safe right now waiting for some money to get my upper.

pointedstick
05-23-2011, 7:59 PM

I'd love to know if your ARs use plastic stocks, handguards, and pistol grips. :p

atomicwedgy
05-23-2011, 8:28 PM
what is the weight difference between a plum crazy lower and an aluminum one? what about a billet lower?

smittty
05-23-2011, 9:05 PM
I never wanted an AR until I learned of these polymer lowers, now I'm considering it. I've done some research and so far I haven't found any reason not to buy one.

jonyg
05-23-2011, 9:15 PM
They're great. Never had issue with mine, plus the trigger is real nice. Zero creep

JAGGUY
05-23-2011, 9:18 PM
This one runs great and as the others have said, the trigger is sweet!
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GWUISTER/PCARL.jpg

mikaarce
05-23-2011, 9:25 PM
They're great. Never had issue with mine, plus the trigger is real nice. Zero creep

And lifetime warranty too.

check this this thread awhile back..
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=349814

bjl333
05-23-2011, 10:04 PM
PC triggers are awsome. I can bumpfire it with easy. I actually want to buy the PC FCG for my aluminum lower because of its nice break/crisp feel.

People who hate on PC are usually the one who cant stand polymer stuff anyways..
First came cars made with steel, then it went to aluminum, then to carbon fiber...
guns first came with steel and wood, then aluminum then polymer...
Get with the program people, technology is making better things now-a-days.

6 PC in my circle of friends, all fire fine with no issues.

+1 here slim!! I have 3 circles too. :D OP they are gtg!

NorCalDustin
05-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I've heard about issues from guys out of state when running PC lowers on a SBR/Suppressed combo. It seems they tend to fall apart when running a suppressed < 10" barrel.

Beyond that... I dont think you're going to have a problem. I say they are gtg.