PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable accuracy with AR15 and iron sights (at various distances/positions)?

jdouglas
05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I got to shoot my AR15 for the first time last Saturday and although I didn't have a whole lot of ammo to burn I did have fun (went with some friends who have more guns and shooting experience than I have). I also came to the realization that I have a lot of room for improvement when it comes to accuracy. ;)

So, what would some of you consider acceptable group sizes at various distances (50 yds, 100 yds, 200 yds, etc), and in various positions (standing, sitting, kneeling, prone), with an AR15 and iron sights? How good do my groups need to be before I could consider myself at least a half-decent shot with my rifle?

(FWIW, I COMPLETELY missed a whole ~1.5x1.5 foot paper target three times out of 20 shots @ 50 yards, although I was standing which made it a little harder. :D)

BrianRodela
05-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Thats a tough call. The AR-15 with the right ammo and barrel is capable of hitting the X-ring (about 8") on the 600 yard course pretty well in the service rifle catagory. Of course that's pretty damn good also. For starting out, at 100 yards, to be able to consistently shoot 3-4" groups in a sitting and 2-3" groups prone would be a good goal with irons. Standing for most is difficult but being able to hit a 6" black circle would be good enugh for most. Going to a training opportunity like Appleseed can help correct any bad habbits in your shooting and can greatly improve your skills. From there, start dropping your groups 1/2 inch at a time and see how it works. Shooting long distances may not be as simple as sight picture and sight alignment, your skills will also have to consider wind and mirage conditions so keep it at 100 until your fundamentals are solid them move out further or frustration may result! Above all, have fun!