PDA

View Full Version : Rifle or Pistol for a beginner???

Mail Clerk
05-23-2011, 6:38 AM
Happy Holidays to you all,

My boss wants me to pick for him a beginners rifle or pistol for his 10 year old son. I say for a beginner a simple bolt action is all he needs for some fun AND learning basic marksmanship.

Any particular brands you guys/gals can recommend such a kid???? I say any brand is good to start.....what do you all think with pics please.

Mail Clerk

wu_dot_com
05-23-2011, 10:32 AM
that depends on how much is he willing to spent.

for rifles,
ruger 10/22 is the basic semi auto while CZ 452 scout is basic for bolt action.
CZ452 military trainer or FS model will be good if both the dad and son to enjoy.
Savage MKII is about another good bolt action option.
CM2 or CM2 cadet from RAA is my recommendation. its an entry level target rifle.
http://www.raacfirearms.com/CM-2_Cadet.htm

for pistol,
ruger MKIII or buckmark. those two have the best track record for reliability and accuracy. the Ruger rates higher in my book because it have more aftermarket parts.

Tom-ADC
05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
If it were me, I'd go with a Henry lever action, if he is small then the youth model or even one of Henry's bolt action 22's.

Markus
05-23-2011, 10:58 AM
A bolt gun or a Henry lever action would both be good IMO.

wu_dot_com
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=435912

this guy is selling his savage club

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
For a 10 year old? I would definately recommend a single shot .22 rifle that fits him. I was just fondling the little Thompson Center Hotshot (http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/youth_hot_shot.php) yesterday and wishing I had a little one to buy it for. But, an old Ithica lever action, Henry's single shot, cricket, CZ scout, etc. would also make good first rifles.

If the kid is on the bigger side and your boss wants to spend a little more on a higher quality rifle, I have a Remington 521J and an Anschutz youth (I forget the model right now) which I'm probably going to sell soon. But, no matter what, tell him not to buy a gun that his kid will "grow into". Get on that fits the kid now. That way, he can learn to shoulder it and shoot it properly. ,22lrs are inexpensive enough that he can get one with a longer LOP in a few years.

wu_dot_com
05-23-2011, 11:23 AM
If the kid is on the bigger side and your boss wants to spend a little more on a higher quality rifle, I have a Remington 521J and an Anschutz youth (I forget the model right now) which I'm probably going to sell soon. But, no matter what, tell him not to buy a gun that his kid will "grow into". Get on that fits the kid now. That way, he can learn to shoulder it and shoot it properly. ,22lrs are inexpensive enough that he can get one with a longer LOP in a few years.

plus 1 on the Anschutz, i was going to recommend it, but since its very high cost i scrap the idea. one thing about anschutz is that their stock is highly customizable. so any user should be able to get that fitted w/o issue.

R8RRunner
05-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Personally, I'd recommend a Ruger 10/22. You can generally find them for mid to high $200 range depending on where you shop.

It was the first gun I ever shot when I was about 9. It's a good size and choice for beginners in my experience, even for older beginners.

Also, some might not agree, but I personally think it's better to learn basics of handling a firearm on a small caliber rifle instead of a handgun.

That's just my 2 cents but there are a lot more people on here with more experience then myself so I'm sure you're going to get a lot of suggestions.

Posted from Tapatalk
On my iPhone 4

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2011, 12:30 PM
plus 1 on the Anschutz, i was going to recommend it, but since its very high cost i scrap the idea. one thing about anschutz is that their stock is highly customizable. so any user should be able to get that fitted w/o issue.

Naw, mine is a cheaper one. I have more than double what the Anschultz is worth into one of my 10-22s and I don't have high end 10-22s.

MaHoTex
05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
I bought, oops, I mean Santa brought, a Marlin 925 bolt rfile for my 11yr old (now 12) and he loves it. It has slowed his rate of fire down a lot from the 795 and the M&P15-22
. He does love the Sig Mosquito pistol too.

wu_dot_com
05-23-2011, 1:27 PM
Naw, mine is a cheaper one. I have more than double what the Anschultz is worth into one of my 10-22s and I don't have high end 10-22s.

ya i was thinking about the target and biathon version... :43:

Izzy43
05-23-2011, 2:50 PM
Any basic bolt action from Savage, Marlin, CZ, Cricket or a Henry lever would be best so he can learn SAFETY first, shooting technique instead of learning how to burn thru ammo with a semi-automatic. Single shot is best but one with a 5 round mag would suffice as well.

My favorite 22 is a single shot bolt action and I'm 64.

nevil
05-23-2011, 2:58 PM
I would say a bolt rifle. I just asked a simular question not long ago. For a pistol go with a Ruger single six.

Mail Clerk
05-23-2011, 7:44 PM
Thank you all for your generous replies. I showed my boss your replies and not basicallyit's up to him to decide what and where to get a first rifle/pistol for his son. Nothing I can do about it as it's is boy and money.

Mail Clerk