PDA

View Full Version : PPT from different ffls? Long distance ppt....

Onlyincali
05-23-2011, 1:09 AM
A while ago I read something about being able to do a PPT between two individuals in different towns at different ffls, with the gun being shipped. I searched and searched and cannot find thus info anywhere. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Ed_Hazard
05-23-2011, 1:39 AM
Well a PPT can only be done FTF.

If you ship your gun to an FFL in another town/state then that dealer upon receipt logs it into his book and the buyer then transfers the gun via said FFL. This is the reason FFL's are allowed to charge more than the state controlled PPT fee for this type of transfer.

Not all FFL's will accept shipment from a private party seller, in this case the seller would need to have another FFL ship the gun to the receiveing FFL. Or the buyer could find an FFL willing to receive from a private party seller.

Onlyincali
05-23-2011, 3:06 AM
Thank you killer bee! The split ppt is what I was referring to. Has anyone actually done this? Or know an ffl that is familiar with it?

Cyc Wid It
05-23-2011, 3:13 AM
The DOJ has pressured FFL's to stop doing this so you'll be hard pressed to find many FFLs who will perform this type of transfer.

Onlyincali
05-23-2011, 8:03 AM
how? Isn't it legal?

morrcarr67
05-23-2011, 9:38 AM
how? Isn't it legal?

This is from Bill; the guy who first posted the info

For now, it appears PPTs need to be F2F, both parties with CA IDs, and split PPT may well be 'legal' but DOJ frowns on it.

DOJ also illegally requires CA ID for both parties for PPTs, and that's gonna take litigation to fix.

So it seems like it would be very hard to get two dealers to do it.

I just posted this question in the 2nd Amendment forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=435867

Feel free to read it.