PDA

View Full Version : How can I be sure the sights are accurate enough to be safe 1st time shooting it?

Schrodinger's Cat
05-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Hello, newbie shooter here. Sorry if this is a dumb question but better safe than sorry. I have a Big 5 Mosin Nagant and I've never shot it (or any other bolt action rifle for that matter). I have it all cleaned up (thanks to all the great info I've found on it here and on other sites), have gotten familiar with it's operation, and I believe it's ready to go. How can I be sure that the sights aren't messed up so bad that I'll do something stupid the first shot I take with it my first time at the range? Who knows what was done to this thing before it was soaked in cosmo and stored for xyz decades. Is this even a concern? I've cleaned every spot of cosmoline I could find, checked firing pin protrusion, and oiled/greased all rotating/sliding parts.

supertrooper
05-23-2011, 12:44 AM
mosin sights suck but they wont be off enough to be dangerous unless someone is going to be holding up the targets your shooting at. take the bolt out of the rifle and sit the rifle on a table pointing toward a window. look down the barrel at something that is around 100 yards. then without moving the gun look down the sights. move the sights so they are aimed at the same spot you see looking bown the barrel. that should get you close enought for plinking at the range.

Reductio
05-23-2011, 1:36 AM
Gently lock the rifle down, pointed in a safe direction aimed at something a little ways off. Remove the bolt. Look down the bore, then look down the sights. You should be pretty dang close.

You dont' have to worry about the safety of the sights, you'll be fine.

Colt-45
05-23-2011, 1:56 AM
The only way to find out would be to actually shoot it. Unless they were canted or something then it would be obvious.

Stone
05-23-2011, 6:08 AM
If there are things down range that are unsafe to shoot at, then it is unsafe to fire your weapon, period. The accuracy of your sights is irrelevant to this issue.

Divernhunter
05-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Shoot from up close(approx 25 yards) for a shot or two so you are sure of where it shoots and then move back to 100 yards and shoot /adjust the sights. I have about 10 of these and all have been fine when shooting at 100 yards from the start. I would not worry much about it. Your choice of ammo will alos print differently.

Uxi
05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
If there are things down range that are unsafe to shoot at, then it is unsafe to fire your weapon, period. The accuracy of your sights is irrelevant to this issue.

Heh, yeah. You might not get into the black or anything, but otherwise shouldn't be a safety issue by itself. Fire a small group. Put it on safe and check out the target and adjust the sights. Repeat, as necessary.

Spyder
05-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Heh, yeah. You might not get into the black or anything, but otherwise shouldn't be a safety issue by itself. Fire a small group. Put it on safe and check out the target and adjust the sights. Repeat, as necessary.

Haha, putting a Mosin on safe isn't exactly the safest operation to accomplish. :D