PDA

View Full Version : DTA SRS Covert Questions

Asset
05-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Before I consider purchasing this rifle, I need to know a few things.

1. Is it CA legal to attach the muzzle brake for it that is sold separately? (http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/accessories/muzzle-brakes/dta-srs-muzzle-brake-assembly.html)
2. I am definitely not going to need all that real estate on the quad rail. Is there any way I can reduce weight by having them removed or replaced by a new forend?
3. If the answer to number 2 is no, then can someone please recommend some rail covers? I'd like to learn how to shoot it standing up, but without turning my hand into grated cheese (I'm looking into the .338 Lapua version). :eek:

Any advice is much appreciated!

PEBKAC
05-23-2011, 12:29 AM
1) Yes. It's a bolt action rifle, no feature BS to worry about.
2) Call/email DTA, they can tell you. But those rails look like they are very built in to the rest of the gun, so I would venture the answer to that question is "no" unless you want some very custom work done that will probably void any warranty you may have. ;)
3) I like the Magpul XTM panels personally.

brando
05-23-2011, 2:55 AM
Just get rail covers - they come in all shapes and sizes. It's very well balanced and ergonomic, so shooting from standing or sitting is quite comfortable.

hi turtle
05-23-2011, 7:25 PM
http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/guns/precision-rifles/dta-srs-covert-rifle-chassis-138.html

The covert is the shorter chassis compared to the srs...made to run with the 16" 308 barrel kit. But all the barrel kits will work on that chassis.

According to DTA, the muzzle brake comes on the 338 lapua....optional on other calibers.

CHS
05-23-2011, 7:29 PM
1. Is it CA legal to attach the muzzle brake for it that is sold separately? (http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/accessories/muzzle-brakes/dta-srs-muzzle-brake-assembly.html)

Absolutely. You could even put a flash hider on it. And a vertical grip.

2. I am definitely not going to need all that real estate on the quad rail. Is there any way I can reduce weight by having them removed or replaced by a new forend?

You should ask Desert Tactical that :)

3. If the answer to number 2 is no, then can someone please recommend some rail covers? I'd like to learn how to shoot it standing up, but without turning my hand into grated cheese (I'm looking into the .338 Lapua version). :eek:

I'm a fan of ladders, personally. They're inexpensive and easy to install and they don't add any bulk to the rail.

Second would be the Knights rail covers. You can get them unused and cheap on ebay.

Mute
05-23-2011, 7:30 PM
Get your hands on one before asking for any alterations. That rifle is pretty dang light as it is. No sense in losing that rail estate if it didn't turn out to be a problem to begin with. As with CHS I like ladders. That's what I use on my SRS.

pc_load_letter
05-23-2011, 9:40 PM
I really wish DTA would come out with a 556 in that covert model

brando
05-23-2011, 9:59 PM
You can get 3rd party barrels made in different calibers & configurations, however the 5.56mm cartridge is more or less ruled out because it won't feed properly from magazines. The SRS platform is designed for lots of calibers, .243WIN up to .338LM, any smaller than there's just too much distance between the magazine and feed ramp to properly work the 5.56mm cartridge. It could be done single shot though.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if down the road they do a slightly scaled down version to handle smaller calibers like 5.56mm, but the reality is the SRS was designed as a tactical precision rifle. The vast majority of tactical precision rifles fielded in both LEO and military circles are chambered on the bottom end in .308WIN, not .223REM. That caliber is more common in semi-auto support rifles.