PDA

View Full Version : ATF hold on my rifle?

MacDime
05-22-2011, 11:37 PM
So i went to ammo bros today to pick up my AK and was told by the man helping me that i needed to contact the ATF that the gun was not to be released to me? So its sunday and over at the ATF nobody is home. Anyone have any idea what the hold might be for? Im going to be calling first thing tomorrow to get this all straightened out. Hopefully i can still get my AK.

cortayack
05-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Who knows why........Good luck getting her out of jail!

pyro3k2
05-22-2011, 11:41 PM
recent unpaid traffic ticket?

Ryo
05-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Hold is not a denial. It could be as simple as your name is similar to someone who shouldn't have one. If this happens to you a lot but your always approved, you should try to get a personal id that can be submitted when you do a NCIS check.. Sorry can't remember what that id is called at the moment.

MacDime
05-22-2011, 11:44 PM

I dont have any traffic citations for 10years.

pyro3k2
05-22-2011, 11:44 PM
I dont have any traffic citations for 10years.

Figure that would be the most common

MacDime
05-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Hold is not a denial. It could be as simple as your name is similar to someone who shouldn't have one. If this happens to you a lot but your always approved, you should try to get a personal id that can be submitted when you do a NCIS check.. Sorry can't remember what that id is called at the moment.

I have purchased several guns in the past with no problem at all. Then all of a sudden.......

IrishPirate
05-22-2011, 11:46 PM
it could seriously be anything....all you can do is call and find out, once you know maybe people here can help.

Ed_Hazard
05-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Was it an in store purchase or transfer?

MacDime
05-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Was it an in store purchase or transfer?

Transfer.

veterosa
05-22-2011, 11:52 PM
I hope the gun is not hot/stolen before it was transferred but again it can be anything. Goodluck

pTa
05-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Is it ATF or/ DOJ?

omniman
05-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Most likely an issue with the point of purchase, not you or AmmoBros. I got my AK from Century, transfered and dros @ ammo bros, smooth as silk. Who did you purchase from, private party?

skanless
05-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Transfer.

the guy might have a shady background or something is up with him. :shrug:

gatesbox
05-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I hope the gun is not hot/stolen before it was transferred but again it can be anything. Goodluck
I thought they had some way to check the reg in store? No? Seems like they are always doing something with immediate results and then the fuz has the ten days to say you suck no guns for you.

Ed_Hazard
05-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Well with it being a transfer could be anything from a typo to being one of those Cartel walkaway guns. Good luck.

Secret
05-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Well atleast let us know what happens man, im too curious now :(

7.62 Charlie
05-23-2011, 12:33 AM
the guy might have a shady background or something is up with him. :shrug:

That's what I was thinking.

Ryo
05-23-2011, 2:10 AM
I might be wrong, but I don't believe ATF asks for firearm s/n when doing background checks.

Joe
05-23-2011, 2:33 AM
You mean DOJ right? Call doj tomorrow and ask. Its probably just a case of mistaken identity.

Colt-45
05-23-2011, 2:53 AM

An unpaid traffic ticket would be none of the ATF's business(federal). DOJ(state) on the other hand could possibly get on you for a traffic ticket.

Capt_Communist
05-23-2011, 5:19 AM
ATF nor DOJ would have access to the SN of a Long Gun during a PPT or a dealer sale... has to be something related to the buyer/seller

05-23-2011, 7:39 AM
IN:whistling:

CSACANNONEER
05-23-2011, 7:47 AM
I am willing to bet that it is DOJ and not ATF putting a hold on the transfer. Well, since it is an AK, it could be that ATF wants to aquire it and send it to Mexico with all the other ones they keep sending there. But, if that's not the case, contact the CADOJ instead of ATF.

tgriffin
05-23-2011, 8:11 AM
Hmmm maybe calguns is going to have its own little slice of Project Gunrunner. Did you make sure the AK was sans happy switch?

dieselpower
05-23-2011, 8:44 AM
I am betting this has zero to do with the ATF...but its possible.

thunderbolt
05-23-2011, 9:06 AM
I bought three guns in CA no problem but on the fourth the DOJ held it because they suddenly wanted a copy of my military DD-214. I was honorably discharged but I didn't think that a dishonorable was grounds for denial of owning a firearm. It could be just a clerical error. You know what they say... "The Bureaucracy must expand to feed the Bureaucracy."

ke6guj
05-23-2011, 9:18 AM
I bought three guns in CA no problem but on the fourth the DOJ held it because they suddenly wanted a copy of my military DD-214. I was honorably discharged but I didn't think that a dishonorable was grounds for denial of owning a firearm. It could be just a clerical error. You know what they say... "The Bureaucracy must expand to feed the Bureaucracy."
yup, dishonorable discharge is a prohibiting factor, http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/identify-prohibited-persons.html

CK_32
05-23-2011, 9:23 AM
Who knows why........Good luck getting her out of jail!

That's more like federal prison haha

gunsnrovers
05-23-2011, 10:33 AM
You mean DOJ right? Call doj tomorrow and ask. Its probably just a case of mistaken identity.

For a while after I moved to LA, a number of my purchases and PPT's were held up by the DOJ over identity issues with some aliases out of San Diego. Evidently my name popped up associated with some bad guys. Also held up my C&R license until the ATF sat down with me to clear it up.

MacDime
05-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Well this sucks. The guy at the store was wrong in telling me that i needed to call the ATF. I was directed to someone in the cadoj who asked me for some personal information that i provided. There was then a hold and she told me that there was something that they needed to look into and to call back in a week WTF!!!!!! so she couldnt even tell me why there was a hold on my rifle just that i need to call back in a week. I have never been arrested, or fingerprinted. This is BS!!!!

dieselpower
05-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Well this sucks. The guy at the store was wrong in telling me that i needed to call the ATF. I was directed to someone in the cadoj who asked me for some personal information that i provided. There was then a hold and she told me that there was something that they needed to look into and to call back in a week WTF!!!!!! so she couldnt even tell me why there was a hold on my rifle just that i need to call back in a week. I have never been arrested, or fingerprinted. This is BS!!!!

Wait, I thought by LAW that had to tell you the problem. Only when a restricted person, with a warrant for arrest calls will they tell you that...

go to the legal forums...post this

CHS
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM

That's not true. They have to tell you why.

Call back immediately and give them the DROS number and find out why. If they won't/can't tell you, ask to speak to a supervisor.

The DOJ is normally very helpful on this. You may have just run into an idiot employee.