PDA

View Full Version : LMT MWS vs SCAR17

BHPFan
05-22-2011, 3:25 PM
Hello,

Considering that both rifles cost about the same (+/- $3K ), which of the two will you choose? What are the reasons for your choice?

Thanks.

Sonic_mike
05-22-2011, 3:26 PM
have you tried any of them personally?

BHPFan
05-22-2011, 3:28 PM
have you tried any of them personally?

Nope. I don't have $6K laying around to buy both so no. All I know from holding them, SCAR17 is lighter than LMT MWS. So, have you tried them personally? if so, what is your opinion?

Grassninja
05-22-2011, 3:29 PM
What do you want to use it for?

BHPFan
05-22-2011, 3:31 PM
What do you want to use it for?

SHTF as well as precise shooting at 500+ yds.

What else is there for .308 rifles like either one?

Sonic_mike
05-22-2011, 3:31 PM
I was just getting around to the point of what feels more natural to you? I held a scar 3 weeks ago and I loved it! felt good and like a extension of my arm. besides the sights,but that's from just looking down in a small gun shop.I will save up my pennies and get my self a scar in the future.

BHPFan
05-22-2011, 3:42 PM
I was just getting around to the point of what feels more natural to you? I held a scar 3 weeks ago and I loved it! felt good and like a extension of my arm. besides the sights,but that's from just looking down in a small gun shop.I will save up my pennies and get my self a scar in the future.

When it comes to feel, the LMT feels like a beefier, heavier AR15 so it has the advantage of platform familiarity.

The SCAR feels lighter, of course due to polymer construction.

The LMT MWS is already known for being extremely accurate for a 16in barrel. I wonder how accurate is the SCAR17 in comparison?

I only held both rifles, but I have not shot them so I like to hear opinions from people who owned, handled and shot them.

Quiet
05-22-2011, 3:48 PM
The UK MOD made this choice last year.
They went with the LMT MWS-308, over the H&K HK-417 and FNH SCAR-H.

kozumasbullitt
05-22-2011, 4:39 PM
The UK MOD made this choice last year.
They went with the LMT MWS-308, over the H&K HK-417 and FNH SCAR-H.

So did US SOCOM, Scar-H!

Dhena81
05-22-2011, 5:05 PM
The Scar 17 is lighter no question the LMT has more modularity at this point than the Scar and the MWS can be made to fit both roles as a heavy battle rifle and a DMR/precision. I would rather have the Scar for a battle type rifle and the LMT with the 18" 5r barrel a Geissele SSA-E and a UBR or PRS for precision work.

Everything will be more expensive with a Scar like a trigger mod and magazines I forget who makes them I want to say VLTOR but you can put different buttstocks on the SCAR if that's your cup of tea. The more popular the SCAR becomes the more manufactures will have different mods available but not close to the AR type rifle anytime soon or maybe ever the AR is probably going to be around like the 1911 is today.

Dhena81
05-22-2011, 5:10 PM
SHTF as well as precise shooting at 500+ yds.

What else is there for .308 rifles like either one?

Right now there are more .308 type rifle choices then ever before how precise are you trying to be MOA or MOM? You should have added the OBR in the mix and make it really hard to choose one. I didn't vote because I like both of them sorry and think either one can be a great choice.

a1fabweld
05-22-2011, 5:20 PM
I'll wait until both of those rifles have proven themselves in combat as the M1A, FAL, & HK91 have before I consider either.

Uriah02
05-22-2011, 5:29 PM
So did US SOCOM, Scar-H!
The primary purpose of the SCAR-H isn't distance shooting. It is modularity and mobility.

Given the choices I would go with the LMT. Given the price range and desire to shoot beyond 500 yds I'd go with something else... I am a bit of a fanboy though. When people are talking SHTF weapon are we talking carbine/mid length or what?

kozumasbullitt
05-22-2011, 5:35 PM
I'll wait until both of those rifles have proven themselves in combat as the M1A, FAL, & HK91 have before I consider either.

The scar is doing a pretty good job and the .gov keeps on placing orders for more.

Ruiner
05-22-2011, 5:44 PM
I had to decide between these 2 as well and ended up picking the LMT after handling/shooting both. I like the ergonomics of the AR platform and the LMT gave me that. They're both nice rifles although the LMT looks to be the winner in terms of accuracy so far. The SCAR is lighter but that's mostly due to the heavy barrel on the LMT. There are also a lot more choices as far as barrels/calibers go for the LMT as companies are starting to retrofit available 308 AR platform barrels to work with the MRP system. All in all, you won't be disappointed with either platform.

Ruiner
05-22-2011, 5:46 PM
The scar is doing a pretty good job and the .gov keeps on placing orders for more.

The same can be said about the LMT. So that really isn't an accurate way to gauge how these rifles are performing in the field.

tacticalcity
05-22-2011, 5:50 PM
:useless:

Ruiner
05-22-2011, 5:52 PM
That it is. Here is mine. :D

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7411/mwss.png

X-NewYawker
05-22-2011, 6:10 PM
Lmt. Here's why:
Modularity system. Metal Construction. And most of ALL --
I VALUE MY LEFT THUMB.
Seriously, a full bore battle rifle that can break your thumb OFF (according to FN reps) if you get sloppy in the heat of battle has design flaws.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/HUntLMT308MWS.jpg

tomd1584
05-22-2011, 6:21 PM
Lmt. Here's why:
I VALUE MY LEFT THUMB.
Seriously, a full bore battle rifle that can break your thumb OFF (according to FN reps) if you get sloppy in the heat of battle has design flaws.

How Many soldiers have had their thumbs break off? like literally OFF?

I vote for the LMT as well:

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx14/TD236/308mws_900.jpg

cmace22
05-22-2011, 6:28 PM
I haven't handled a 17 yet but I would have to agree with the above posters.

The LMT is heavy but the weight is due to the barrel and the MRP design.

Lack of after market support for the 17 (compared to AR type rifles) proprietary magazines and parts availability LMT at this point is the way to go IMO.

missiontrails
05-22-2011, 6:39 PM
REPR

DanHuuN
05-22-2011, 7:53 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/DanHuu1225/IMG_9150.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/DanHuu1225/IMG_9137.jpg

cmace22
05-22-2011, 8:10 PM
Nice Danhuun!

Has anyone had there barre re profiled, fluted or dimpled to save some weight yet?

Nate87
05-22-2011, 8:17 PM
+1 for MWS. I love mine.

Aslo, what bipod is this?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/DanHuu1225/IMG_9137.jpg

battleship
05-22-2011, 8:19 PM
Hallow LWRC REPR, anyone.

I cannot speak for the LMT but ive shot the SCAR 17 with 150 grain bullets i was stunned by the low recoil, it was amazing. Shot 20 Inch barrelled REPR it felt like i was being punched from the recoil.

SCAR 17 is light in weight for the reason SOCOM wanted it to be that way.

Ruiner
05-22-2011, 8:21 PM
Nice Danhuun!

Has anyone had there barre re profiled, fluted or dimpled to save some weight yet?

Someone on M4C had one reprofiled and it saved quite a bit of weight. The stock barrel is really hefty.

cmace22
05-22-2011, 8:45 PM
Someone on M4C had one reprofiled and it saved quite a bit of weight. The stock barrel is really hefty.

Got a link by any chance. I searched as best I could a while back any coudnt find anything.

The one I payed with was a tad on the hefty side although it comes with the territory on 308 AR's.

Ruiner
05-22-2011, 8:59 PM
Got a link by any chance. I searched as best I could a while back any coudnt find anything.

The one I payed with was a tad on the hefty side although it comes with the territory on 308 AR's.

I PM'd you the thread.. at least I think that's it.

What makes it feel real heavy (heavier than it actually is) is that the weight distribution is mostly at the front. My 20" actually felt lighter to me once I had the scope mounted despite actually being heavier because it became more balanced.

bollero
05-22-2011, 9:30 PM
Scar 17 for sure ... LMT looks like any other AR..i want something different just tired of the AR look..SCar 17S is my next rifle..

MrPlink
05-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I honestly like about everything mentioned in this thread, but I went scar. Mostly for the weight and handling, and because its something different.

I like LMT a lot, hell I have one, but I didn't feel like the MWS offered me much considering its price. Its a really nice Ar in .308, but not too different than the norm.

REPR was a close #2 for me (still on my long list) but I feel its more of DMR type, while I wanted more of a battle rifle.

As far as the charging handle on the scar goes, I couldn't care less. I'm a long time AK guy, so the idea of keeping my hands away from certain areas is nothing new. I don't plan on going to combat with it anytime soon, but if I did and accidentally smashed my hand up with I still wouldn't worry about, I've suffered numerous broken bones during adrenaline rushes, you wouldn't notice at the time.

M4A1
05-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I went back and forth with this question for a while.
I ended up going Scar 17. Only reason is because I already have a Noveske N6.
Either choice would be a good buy. You can't go wrong either way.

Colt-45
05-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Op, consider the LWRC REPR, you wont be sorry.

Q
05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
How Many soldiers have had their thumbs break off? like literally OFF?

I vote for the LMT as well:

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx14/TD236/308mws_900.jpg
^that looks nice!:cool:

LMT.
1. metal.
2. UK uses them.
3. Looks better.

It's on my wish list, 16" 5R barrel..

MrPlink
05-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Who cares if the UK uses them?
They also use those god awful Enfield bulpups....

Q
05-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Who cares if the UK uses them?
They also use those god awful Enfield bulpups....

I do.:p
They've used the SAM-R and the C8 CQB which are pretty much what we have..:D

They have the money to choose the best, IMO.

lelandEOD
05-22-2011, 10:54 PM
SCAR17...

Proprietary mag warning!
Proprietary mag warning!
Proprietary mag warning!
Proprietary mag warning!
Proprietary mag warning!
Proprietary mag warning!

Get an OBR or the LMT.

kozumasbullitt
05-22-2011, 11:18 PM
^that looks nice!:cool:

LMT.
1. metal.
2. UK uses them.
3. Looks better.

It's on my wish list, 16" 5R barrel..

Looks like every other AR in my safe, Scar 17 is different.

Ruiner
05-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Looks like every other AR in my safe, Scar 17 is different.

I didn't buy the LMT because of the looks. I bought it because it works and handles just like every AR in my safe.

Jpach
05-22-2011, 11:56 PM
The LMT, for all reasons stated above, and You can find them for ~~$2400 and sell the sights and stock for over $200 total. Either way you get more bang for your buck.

kozumasbullitt
05-23-2011, 8:16 AM
I didn't buy the LMT because of the looks. I bought it because it works and handles just like every AR in my safe.

I handled a m16/m4 for 8 years everyday and ARs for the last 4 years here and there so for me I would go with something different. If the scar doesn't work out for me I can always go back to the trusted and familiar AR platform.

ultra01
05-23-2011, 4:22 PM
+1 for the LMT MWS

X-NewYawker
05-23-2011, 4:27 PM
I handled a m16/m4 for 8 years everyday and ARs for the last 4 years here and there so for me I would go with something different. If the scar doesn't work out for me I can always go back to the trusted and familiar AR platform.

Isn't the SCAR basically a piston AR?
I mean, wouldn't something different be an AK or an AUG or HK 91 clone?

stormy_clothing
05-23-2011, 4:36 PM
if you want a great durable 308 self loader pick up a PTR 91 for 1100 - otherwise all I can say about my old 17s is **** that pos of **** toy - it's probably a great rifle if you think the interior of a chevy cobalt is classy - personally I found it incredibly cheap feeling, sounding and among the myriad of other **** ups besides the horrible non existent FN parts and service the idea of a pencil barrel on a 308 is sheer idiocy unless 5 moa is acceptable on the follow up shots.

I have no experience with the LMT rifle but that new billet monolithic mega 308 upper and a nice stainless swirl fluted 308 barrel sounds like a great start for a 308 project

lelandEOD
05-23-2011, 6:05 PM
...Did I mention the SCAR is made of 80% post consumer content!

a1fabweld
05-23-2011, 7:27 PM
if you want a great durable 308 self loader pick up a PTR 91 for 1100

That's what I'm talkin about!

DanHuuN
05-23-2011, 7:31 PM
+1 for MWS. I love mine.

Aslo, what bipod is this?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=934

I'm not that fond of it but I received it for free, so I cant complain

Jpach
05-23-2011, 7:44 PM
Isn't the SCAR basically a piston AR?
I mean, wouldn't something different be an AK or an AUG or HK 91 clone?

AFAIK, the SCAR is pretty much nothing like a piston AR (perhaps the bolt style is the same though? I really dont know).

Who cares anyways, the LMT is better lol :43:

Gordon
05-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I chose the LMT and really like it. I was surprised how well i was able to shoot with it since im new to this whole gun thing. Hitting the paper at 400 yards was unbelieble to me.

MrPlink
05-24-2011, 12:17 AM
AFAIK, the SCAR is pretty much nothing like a piston AR (perhaps the bolt style is the same though? I really dont know).

Who cares anyways, the LMT is better lol :43:

yep, bolt is pretty similar. I suppose the general controls minus the CH are similar too, thats about it.

Uxi
05-24-2011, 10:43 AM
LMT would have the advantage with price, parts, and familiarity, but I would choose the SCAR for genuinely improved ergonomics

luckygunner
05-24-2011, 11:13 AM
You can't go wrong with either. I have a SCAR 16 and plan on picking up a 17 this fall.

My one complaint is that the charging handle reciprocates. It makes the mounting of some optics a bit cumbersome but since you are looking for 500 yards. You'll probably use glass so it's not as big of a deal.

docsmileyface
05-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I really, really like LMT products - that being said, after handling both the MWS and SCAR 17S, I ended up buying the SCAR. It felt five pounds lighter, so much easier to handle. Incredibly sexy. I'm about 1000 rounds into it and haven't had a single malfunction. Never had any problems with the reciprocating charging handle besides when I had an EOTech mounted over it - my only complaints about the SCAR 17S are that the charging handle is right under where most optics are mounted and they can get in the way and that the magazines are currently impossible to find. Luckily for me I stocked up early on and I've got 14 magazines for mine.

I guess the UK's endorsement of the MWS is impressive, but I'm much more impressed with the reviews USSOCOM have been giving the SCAR H. US Special Forces/SEALS > UK Army, IMO

bmuoio
06-02-2011, 2:46 PM
Lmt. Here's why:
I VALUE MY LEFT THUMB.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/HUntLMT308MWS.jpg

With that shooting style in the heat of battle will certainly take off a finger or two. Maybe you should try holding your left arm a little stiffer and forward on the rail and not like your shooting a pistol(tea cup and saucer style) My 2Cents? As for choice LMT hands down if my life depended on it. I have the LMT and will be getting the 6.5 Grendel for it soon.

stormy_clothing
06-02-2011, 2:52 PM
having owned and then quickly sold my 17 I can confidentially say I would never buy another scar unless there was a major change to the design and materials.

Currently I am looking into a PWS MK214 which is less money and appears to have all of the right features and reliability along with accuracy.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/catalog/PWS_MK214_762_L_1.JPG

kozumasbullitt
06-02-2011, 3:25 PM
having owned and then quickly sold my 17 I can confidentially say I would never buy another scar unless there was a major change to the design and materials.

Currently I am looking into a PWS MK214 which is less money and appears to have all of the right features and reliability along with accuracy.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/catalog/PWS_MK214_762_L_1.JPG

What problems did you encounter?

762.DEFENSE
06-02-2011, 4:28 PM
Both are great companies, which make excellent products. With that said I have many FNH weapons and love them! I'd go with the SCAR17

docsmileyface
06-02-2011, 4:47 PM
I've got about 700 rounds down my SCAR 17S now, no problems at all with function or reliability. And I love how easy it cleans up.

romeo26
06-02-2011, 5:22 PM
why does at least one person point out the UK choose the lmt in this type of comparison?

does that mean:
UK MOD>SOCOM

I think not!