PDA

View Full Version : Report on Benelli MR1

ap3572001
05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
After playing with two MR1 rifles I can tell You an objective report .

Accuracy is close to the new MINI 14's. Maybe a little better.
Likes PMC ammo a lot.
As reliable as ANY AR15 .
BUT!!!!! ONLY WITH NEW STYLE , RECENT PRODUCTION MAGAZINES. PMAGS, s/42 HARTFORD,HK,FN SCAR MAGAZINES ALL WORK PERFECT.100%.
OLD USGI MAGAZINES ARE A HIT AND MISS.
Very little felt recoil. Great in rapid fire.
If You want to scope it and enjoy a scoped MR1 , You will need to remove the rear sight.
A very nice featureless rifle.

axhoaxho
05-22-2011, 1:57 PM
I also have a MR1, and I agree with your impression on it.

It is a very nice out-of-the-box featureless .223/5.56 rifle, with Benelli quality and no bullet button.

It is a little rifle that... the more we shoot it, the more we like it.

The only drawback to me might be its price... Yet if I must, I will still buy it again.

Regards,

Wildhawk66
05-22-2011, 2:15 PM
Any 5 or 10 shot bench rest groups to report? I've both heard of and witnessed consistent groupings from various factory ammunition in the 2-5" range at 100 yards (not good). What are you guys experiencing.

dfletcher
05-22-2011, 3:50 PM
The rear sight is a major pain in the butt to remove, only two screws but they're on tight as heck. I ended up applying a little heat, breaking a #15 torx then using another and out it came. Same approach on the 2nd screw too. I stashed the sight in the buttstock and am using a Millett DMS scope with Leupold PRW mounts.

Am out of state next weekend and will try out the PG stock and am having the barrel threaded for an AR device, have ordered this Wilson:
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/50999-ar-15-m16-rapid-thread-muzzle-brake-rapid-thread-muzzle-brake-wilson-combat.html

X-NewYawker
05-22-2011, 5:15 PM
The rear sight is a major pain in the butt to remove, only two screws but they're on tight as heck. I ended up applying a little heat, breaking a #15 torx then using another and out it came. Same approach on the 2nd screw too. I stashed the sight in the buttstock and am using a Millett DMS scope with Leupold PRW mounts.

Am out of state next weekend and will try out the PG stock and am having the barrel threaded for an AR device, have ordered this Wilson:
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/50999-ar-15-m16-rapid-thread-muzzle-brake-rapid-thread-muzzle-brake-wilson-combat.html

Is that Wilson wide enough to prevent field stripping the MR?

ap3572001
05-22-2011, 5:40 PM
Any 5 or 10 shot bench rest groups to report? I've both heard of and witnessed consistent groupings from various factory ammunition in the 2-5" range at 100 yards (not good). What are you guys experiencing.

3 inch. At 100 yards open sights

dfletcher
05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Is that Wilson wide enough to prevent field stripping the MR?

I don't think it will, should be small enough to make it through the nut & forend. Brownells has the OD listed as 11/8" which I think is a typo. If it won't make it I have AAC single chamber brakes on a Mini 14 & Robinson 96 I've already checked out that does make it through.

Regardless of the brake I think indexing may be the challenge. I think the MR1 barrel diameter is too small to use a crush or peel washer. I have an indexing nut from a Miculik comp and would use that or come up with another fix. If all else fails I suppose I'll have to go with a non-indexing type, I'm guessing Smith makes one.

X-NewYawker
05-23-2011, 1:03 PM
Again -- muzzle brake on 223 not exactly necessary...

dfletcher
05-23-2011, 6:21 PM
Again -- muzzle brake on 223 not exactly necessary...

I know, however in this instance I wish to be different. :o