PDA

View Full Version : blocking PMAGS

furfam4
05-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Hope this is the correct place for this. I'm looking for best way to block my Pmags. I have MAG BLOCKS I'd like to hear how you guys are doing it. Will u recommend product also say if you use epoxy or whatever. And maybe a step by step procedure. Thanks in advance

Rock6.3
05-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Magblock.
Countersink drill bit to remove the phillips head slots in the screw.

evidens83
05-22-2011, 10:38 AM
I've used epoxy. No matter how hard I bang it as people say, it has yet to loosen. Seems permanent to me :p

motorwerks
05-22-2011, 10:38 AM
magblocks. :D

rareair
05-22-2011, 10:41 AM
What size PMag do you have?

For a 10/30 tutorial (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=120280)

For a 10/20 tutorial (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=125645)

goodlookin1
05-22-2011, 11:05 AM
My interpretation is that it is permanent to epoxy the base plate to the mag block, making it so that it can never hold more than 10 rounds. You would have to buy new parts, which = new/different magazine.

Others disagree. You may feel you need "more" permanence....and that is fine, in which case it would be most prudent to epoxy the floor plate to the body so you can never open it. But the DOJ already agreed that irreversible = impossible, and left it at "permanently altered is sufficiently understood by reasonable people", giving no definition of "PA". Essentially, the implication of the law states that while no alteration (10 round limit) that you do is ever completely irreversible, you cannot at any time restore the alteration (back to 10+ rounds)......even though you may have the ability.

Stealing an example from Dieselpower......It's like murder: Everyone has the ability to murder, but it's still against the law to do it. I have the ability to restore my magazine back to the original limit no matter what kind of alteration I make, but the law doesnt allow me to do it.

YMMV

IrishPirate
05-22-2011, 11:15 AM
are you talking about one of these (http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/collections/magazines/products/magblocks-pmag-10-20-magazine-block)?

i'm not sure exactly how they work but i thought there was no glueing, riveting, drilling needed. as long as it is inserted and the magazine is in working condition, it can't accept more than 10rds. you would have to disassemble it and remove the block to make it a hi-cap. no different than any other method. since dissassembly is required to increase capacity, isn't that a permanent fix? the magazine is permanently 10rds until it's taken apart and rebuilt using different parts. why would glue, rivets, etc be necessary?

tomd1584
05-22-2011, 11:20 AM
are you talking about one of these (http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/collections/magazines/products/magblocks-pmag-10-20-magazine-block)?

i'm not sure exactly how they work but i thought there was no glueing, riveting, drilling needed. as long as it is inserted and the magazine is in working condition, it can't accept more than 10rds. you would have to disassemble it and remove the block to make it a hi-cap. no different than any other method. since dissassembly is required to increase capacity, isn't that a permanent fix? the magazine is permanently 10rds until it's taken apart and rebuilt using different parts. why would glue, rivets, etc be necessary?

I use those, and don't glue/rivet/epoxy anything. Some may disagree with that, however. I follow the same logic you just described.

dieselpower
05-22-2011, 11:28 AM
The murder analogy works. The DoJ statement that "permanently altered" does not mean irreversible, and the act of reversal IS the crime should be enough for a reasonable person.

The crime of murder is not based on the ability, its based on an action and outcome.

bluebird
05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=39432

I agree with the OP in the link above. It's more about political than logic.

furfam4
05-22-2011, 11:34 AM

yes using those. Disassembly is simply removing the spring from the bottom plate and I'm under the impression that wouldn't be considered fixed. I thought I'd have to epoxy the spring to the magblock hence if I wanted to use them as 30 rounders out of state id need to have a new spring on hand. Make sense? is it enough just to put the magblock in and call it good? I don't think so. Input people?

97F1504RAD
05-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I epoxied the spring to the magblock using the epoxy he sells on his site..

furfam4
05-22-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=39432

I agree with the OP in the link above. It's more about political than logic.

Great link

shadowofnight
05-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Another magblock user here , installed rawdog style...no protection needed :)

If they disassemble it to remove the magblock , it's on them...it only held 10 rounds as I assembled the kit.

It was a legal kit in my hands as I ordered it......it was a legal 10 round magazine when I assembled it with the magblock installed....and if they disassemble it then it goes back to kit form in their hands...what they do with that kit after disassembling it is on them.

I also see a swing in the forum, when magblocks were first discussed...almost nobody in the threads said they were ok alone.

Then it became about a 50/50 affair in the threads.

Now, the swing is towards the majority of the posters in these threads saying the magblock alone is good enough to meet the 10 round limited description.

The law is so seriously vague, that even users who epoxy or rivot are far from making their 10 round mod truely permanent ...give me 5 minutes with a dremel cutoff wheel and some shears and plastic weld and I will have that so called permanent 10 round mag holding and functioning with much more than 10 rounds.

I could even do it in less time if I didnt care about appearance, just dremel cutoff the cover...remove the magblock ...and reinsert the follower/spring and drill a few holes across the bottom of the magazine and use some long screws across the gap to hold the spring...ugly as hell but a perfectly functioning standard/high cap magazine now. Epoxy and rivots/pins are extremely easy to bypass.

It's all about intent and function.....I intended to limit the magazine to 10 rounds with the installation of the magblock.....the magazine will only function with 10 rounds of the ammunition...you cannot physically load an 11th round.

I also go one step further, only because I own both BB AR's and featureless AR's....I install Thordo's Ultimate bullet button tool on every magazine I have a magblock installed in.

That way, I not only have a tool available to use with the bullet button, but I also have a visual clue as to which magazines are 10 round limited.

That way no mistake is ever made inserting a standard capacity magazine into one of my BB builds.

furfam4
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Another magblock user here , installed rawdog style...no protection needed :)

If they disassemble it to remove the magblock , it's on them...it only held 10 rounds as I assembled the kit.

It was a legal kit in my hands as I ordered it......it was a legal 10 round magazine when I assembled it with the magblock installed....and if they disassemble it then it goes back to kit form in their hands...what they do with that kit after disassembling it is on them.

I also see a swing in the forum, when magblocks were first discussed...almost nobody in the threads said they were ok alone.

Then it became about a 50/50 affair in the threads.

Now, the swing is towards the majority of the posters in these threads saying the magblock alone is good enough to meet the 10 round limited description.

The law is so seriously vague, that even users who epoxy or rivot are far from making their 10 round mod truely permanent ...give me 5 minutes with a dremel cutoff wheel and some shears and plastic weld and I will have that so called permanent 10 round mag holding and functioning with much more than 10 rounds.

It's all about intent and function.....I intended to limit the magazine to 10 rounds with the installation of the magblock.....the magazine will only function with 10 rounds of the ammunition...you cannot physically load an 11th round.

I also go one step further, only because I own both BB AR's and featureless AR's....I install Thordo's Ultimate bullet button tool on every magazine I have a magblock installed in.

That way, I not only have a tool available to use with the bullet button, but I also have a visual clue as to which magazines are 10 round limited.

That way no mistake is ever made inserting a standard capacity magazine into one of my BB builds.

I've done this as well love those UBBT kits.

bluebird
05-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Well said sir. If they intent to put us in jail no matter what, then we're screwed either way.