PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15 Sport 5.56 Question

ricepeck
05-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Hey guys, I tried to use the search function but could not find anything. Turners is having somewhat of a sale on the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 5.56 Sport.

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle? First time AR newb so just looking for opinions or suggestions on this rifle.

thank you.

iatrogenic
05-22-2011, 1:26 AM
What kind of a sale are they having?

AR15Kimo
05-23-2011, 9:49 PM
It's 700$

wizdumb
05-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Seems like a great price. I've had my M&P 15 for over a year now and absolutely love it.
It wasn't the "sport" model, but that appears to be just another set of options. You may want to check it out for yourself in person, or see if you can find out who is manufacturing these rifles for S&W. At the time I bought mine, they were rebranded Stag Arms.

LBDamned
05-26-2011, 8:46 PM
I'm also considering this rifle and have been searching Calguns and internet - I came across this post on a different forum responding to someone asking about the M&P15 sport... hit's many points on the head - makes me lean even more towards it:

It is a very basic carbine.

For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

- Janq

Scratch705
05-26-2011, 8:57 PM
what sucks is turners is pretty much charging msrp.... cause i haven't seen other gun stores carry the sport version.

LBDamned
05-27-2011, 9:58 AM
what sucks is turners is pretty much charging msrp.... cause i haven't seen other gun stores carry the sport version.

online... but even there, the ones I use are out of stock - I'm on waiting list (I'll post source after I get mine) one site; fixed stock is $586, adjustable is $621... another site has it for $573... ad shipping (approx 35) and FFL transfer + DROS 70 and OTD is still less than Turners... however, there's a chance Turners will have a sale (the 700 is normal price) - it's a waiting game for me right now...

Capt Jack
05-27-2011, 10:18 AM
My buddy just bought one from DDs Ranch for $649 plus shipping. Check with them if you can't find one elsewhere.

From what I have read, this is a good starter carbine with a good warranty. I'll post up a range report when my buddy gets his after the 10 day jail time.

Scratch705
05-27-2011, 12:03 PM
online... but even there, the ones I use are out of stock - I'm on waiting list (I'll post source after I get mine) one site; fixed stock is $586, adjustable is $621... another site has it for $573... ad shipping (approx 35) and FFL transfer + DROS 70 and OTD is still less than Turners... however, there's a chance Turners will have a sale (the 700 is normal price) - it's a waiting game for me right now...

yea, turners already had a "sale" of the sport last week too and it was still priced at $699.99 as the ad states now.

i don't think they will be putting it any lower until it becomes an overstock item.

Sacramento Black Rifle
05-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Sacramento black rifle?

lineman66
05-27-2011, 1:20 PM
You also have to take into account the extra cost of installing a bullet button.

LBDamned
05-27-2011, 1:44 PM
You also have to take into account the extra cost of installing a bullet button.

comes with a BB from S&W (just gotta make sure it's sku 811038)

ssteve
05-27-2011, 1:51 PM
B2 enterprises in cotati had them for like $690 at one point. I believe they are sold out at the moment though.

gun505
05-27-2011, 1:53 PM
just held one at T in S.D felt ok. it is what it is ,sure it will go bang.

Digital_Hate
05-27-2011, 2:25 PM
from the picture it has no forward assist

LBDamned
05-27-2011, 6:44 PM
from the picture it has no forward assist

no fwd assist, no dust cover (does anyone out here really need those? seriously)...

I just got an email that one of the online retailers I use had one in stock - I was so excited until I logged on and it was already out of stock again :mad:

LBDamned
05-31-2011, 8:35 PM
mine is on it's way! $589 shipped :D

Also, Grabagun has 'em listed for 573 (plus 6 shipping) - but they are out of stock right now... I was waiting for theirs, but another dealer I use just got some in and gave me a smokin deal (even though grabaguns price is a little better).

UNDFTD
05-31-2011, 8:40 PM
no fwd assist, no dust cover (does anyone out here really need those? seriously)...

I just got an email that one of the online retailers I use had one in stock - I was so excited until I logged on and it was already out of stock again :mad:

Also, non chrome barrels.

LBDamned
05-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Also, non chrome barrels.

non chrome, but melonite... there's boatlaods of discussions all over the internet (as I have found during recent research)... and for my application (and I would bet 99%+ of people here) the sport version isnt lacking anything of significance.

Here's a really good post from another forum that addresses the chrome vs melonite barrel (amoung other things):

A few reasons to buy a Sport over an OR, depending on your needs:

1. The Sport comes ready to shoot with an F marked front sight base and detachable dual aperture rear sight. The OR has neither, so you would need to buy front and rear sights or optics to shoot your first round out of the OR. When comparing cost, add the cost of sights to the OR before deciding.

2. The OR barrel is a 1:9 twist, 6R rifling. The Sport barrel is a 1:8 twist, 5R rifling. The Sport's 1:8 twist barrel will stabilize heavier bullets than the OR. The 5R rifling gives a better gas seal and causes less deformation of the bullet jacket, which should provide higher velocity and better accuracy.

3. The OR barrel is chrome lined. The Sport barrel is melonite treated. Melonite treating provides a surface hardness comparable to chrome, but does not change the dimensions because it is not a lining. Melonite treatment should avoid the loss of accuracy that can sometimes result from chrome lining. The Melonite treatment will certainly be more wear and corrosion resistant that the unlined chromemoly barrels that some lower end AR's come with. The Melonite treatment also reduces friction between bullet and bore. The Melonite treated, 1:8 twist, 5R barrel on the Sport is, on paper, a higher quality barrel than the OR barrel. Time will tell how the two compare.

4. The other critical components appear to be identical (M4 feedramps, same BCG, S&W 6 position collapsible stock).

jhaselton
05-31-2011, 11:12 PM
the sport doesn't have a removeable trigger guard. It has a winter trigger guard built in as part of the lower.

jhaselton
05-31-2011, 11:13 PM
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/811036_04_md.jpg

BruinGuy
06-01-2011, 12:58 AM
What are the significant differences between the "Sport" and the M&P "OR" model? Is it really all small details (dust cover, fwd assist, trigger guard) that account for the $300 (msrp) difference?

grabagun.com
06-01-2011, 6:36 AM
I have a few different models of the M&P 15 in stock. What specific models are you guys looking for?

Here is a .22 model that is $616 out the door: http://grabagun.com/s-w-m-p15-22-pc-22lr-18-fhb-10rd-13199.html

The M&P 15 Sport models in .556 NATO are on order and we should see them in the next couple weeks. Just let me know what everyone is looking for and I will be happy to post here when mine show up.

missiontrails
06-01-2011, 7:17 AM

The dust cover helps keep the lube in while it's sitting in my bag..... I run mine wet, and when I leave a cover open, lube and carbon gunk find their way out into my bags... Forward assist..... I have yet to use it on any rifle.

LBDamned
06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
I have a few different models of the M&P 15 in stock. What specific models are you guys looking for?

Here is a .22 model that is $616 out the door: http://grabagun.com/s-w-m-p15-22-pc-22lr-18-fhb-10rd-13199.html

The M&P 15 Sport models in .556 NATO are on order and we should see them in the next couple weeks. Just let me know what everyone is looking for and I will be happy to post here when mine show up.

bump for grabagun! Got a Beretta PX4 at smokin' deal and ultra fast shipping - great customer service!

Even though I already got my M&P15 - I'll be buying other guns from grabagun (best prices on the net!)