PDA

View Full Version : Wooden ammo?

jumbopanda
12-06-2006, 10:28 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=310818

Interesting...7.62x39 ammo loaded with 5gr wooden bullets

slick_711
12-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I think they must be 50-something grain, from the way the site says "5-g" everywhere, and just looking at the size of the bullets. Maybe I'm wrong on that, 5grain just doesn't sound right for something thats the same size as a standard bullet. That is very... interesting though, I'm curious what types of training those would be for and if they'd be less-than-lethal?

ghettoshecky
12-06-2006, 10:52 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=310818

Interesting...7.62x39 ammo loaded with 5gr wooden bullets

hahahah really? I imagnie these great for the screwaround weekend! I'm hoping these are non-lethal, cuz Imma bout to bust a splinter up your a**!

NeoWeird
12-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Wooden bullets are VERY dangerous. The Germans used them against our paratroopers in WWII and they are nasty little bastards. From short ranges they are very close in velocity and close enough in weight to penetrate someone. The only difference is that once the wood hits something it just shatters to bits. It's one thing trying to take metal out of someone, try taking out millions of splinters that cause infections and fester in the wounds.

You can get them, just be VERY careful with them.

jumbopanda
12-06-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't think you need to be any more careful than you would with ordinary ammo...accidental gunshots are never a good thing...:eek:

Hmm I just read somewhere that they disintegrate before exiting the barrel.

Harbinger
12-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Amazingly, the British used sterilized wooden tips in some of their early .303 bullets.

http://www.african-hunter.com/303_british.htm

Interestingly enough, the tip is not always of aluminium. Sir Sidney Smith, an eminent forensic pathologist and pioneer forensic ballistics experimentor, had cause to examine a great many wounds caused by .303 rifles during the riots and nationalist upheavals in Egypt during the 1920’s. He found that some of the bullets had a wood pulp tip under the jacket, and accordingly wrote to the War Office pointing out that (a), some ammunition manufacturers were using wood pulp instead of aluminium in their bullets, (b) that the wood pulp tips appeared to be achieving the same results as the aluminium, and (c) if this were so, would it not be much cheaper to use wood pulp in all ammunition instead of aluminium? The War Office replied, saying that they were aware of the substitution as it had been authorised during the First World War at a time when aluminium was in critically short supply. Furthermore it would not, as supposed, be cheaper to use wood pulp, as the pulp had to go through a number of sterilising procedures to ensure that wounds would not become infected or contaminated by it. This struck Sir Sidney - as it does me - as a rather delicate thoughtfulness for the victim of a gunshot!

Mike

eckerph
12-06-2006, 11:44 PM
I had a 100rnd M60 link of wooden rounds. My neighbor who has been in the AF security forces since the 70's said they used them back in the early 80's and 70's for training. Me and my dad shot some in our garage and they tend to break apart in the barrel but they still had enough juice to embed themselves in a pine board from several feet away.

eckerph
12-06-2006, 11:44 PM
I had a 100rnd M60 link of wooden rounds. My neighbor who has been in the AF security forces since the 70's said they used them back in the early 80's and 70's for training. Me and my dad shot some in our garage and they tend to break apart in the barrel but they still had enough juice to embed themselves in a pine board from several feet away.

ivanimal
12-10-2006, 11:12 PM
The German thinking in using these was not to kill the soldier but wound them. Thus it would take 3 people out of the fight. The wounded and 2 people carying him. Brutal round to be hit with for sure.

wilit
12-11-2006, 7:05 AM
Finally... Ammo for my zombie gun to take out those pesky vampires.

maxicon
12-11-2006, 9:42 AM
The Swedes used wooden 6.5mm bullets for training, along with a muzzle device that was supposed to shred the bullet as it left the barrel.

The wooden bullet allowed enough pressure build up to cycle the action, which blanks often won't do without a muzzle restriction device.

They had problems with it anyway.

http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~m95perm/ammunition/fin/6.5x55mm.html

NRAhighpowershooter
12-11-2006, 2:12 PM
It is purely myth that the Germans used wooden bullets agoinst our Para's in WW-II.. The latest book out by Stephan Ambrose confirmed that the para's found the wooden bullets and later confirmed that these were training ammo.

x-ring
12-12-2006, 2:35 PM
Concur with Maxicon...but they shot many of them with BOLT rifles as well...in which cycling the action wasn't an issue. The bullets are typically red in color, are hollow and use a VERY progressive powder.

Believe it or not they would shoot them live at other soldiers with "restrictions" of 20 meter min. range and then later at 100 meters.

And here all this time, I thought running with scissors was dangerous...