PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 weaver scope mount

crazy russian
05-21-2011, 10:06 PM
I just purchased aluminum weaver scope rings (Weaver brand) to mount on the weaver mount supplied with the rifle. When tightend down as far as they can be, the rings still have a bit of wiggle.

Anybody else experience this? Maybe I need to buy some genuine weaver mounts for the weaver rings?

crazy russian
05-22-2011, 8:08 PM
Well ..... uhh.....anyway it seems that the top of the weaver mount supplied with the 10/22 is a bit lower than it should be (less than 1/64" I think). Maybe this is to ensure that you can still use the iron sights with scope removed (barely).

Thick tape shims between bottom of the rings and the mount was enough to take the wiggle out. Spent 400 rounds trying to zero the scope ....... next time out, I'll make darn sure I have a solid mount first.

ojisan
05-22-2011, 8:16 PM
Good to hear you found the problem.
Loose scopes, if not found early, can cause lots of frustration.
With all the different manufacturing tolerances out there and so many makers, everything needs to be checked carefully piece by piece when assembling.

VictorFranko
05-22-2011, 8:21 PM
Yes, I encountered the same problem with the Weaver Aluminum (Walmart) rings.
Not sure tape is a good answer, maybe a metal shim, such as cut from a beer can, would be better. You can buy some shim stock at a hobby store if you're not a beer drinker :p
Me, I just returned the rings and bought others that actually fit as they are supposed to.

crazy russian
05-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes, I encountered the same problem with the Weaver Aluminum (Walmart) rings.
Not sure tape is a good answer, maybe a metal shim, such as cut from a beer can, would be better. You can buy some shim stock at a hobby store if you're not a beer drinker :p
Me, I just returned the rings and bought others that actually fit as they are supposed to.

Yep, they were the aluminum Walmart ones ... but since they were the Weaver brand, I thought for sure they'd be OK.....but I guess not. Good to hear that other rings actually work and it's not the Ruger mount that's out of wack. Any suggestions for rings?

supaoopa
05-22-2011, 11:26 PM
i had the same problem with weaver rings from walmart. I ended up just buying the two peice weaver scope mount for the 10/22 that they also sell at walmart. Problem solved.

crazy russian
05-23-2011, 9:36 PM
i had the same problem with weaver rings from walmart. I ended up just buying the two peice weaver scope mount for the 10/22 that they also sell at walmart. Problem solved.

I did just that ... I bought the two piece Weaver weaver mount and everything fits up snug without using tape or Beer can shims. :D Plus, the Weaver weaver mount gives a better look at the iron sights when the scope is removed (compared to the Ruger weaver mount).

Thanks to everyone for their help.......