PDA

View Full Version : del-ton ar uppers

drifter001
05-21-2011, 8:30 PM
Anyone have experience with these? They're priced pretty cheap for a complete upper but anyone have experience shooting these? I was considering a stag 2h upper but these seem like they'd do the trick for what ill use it for. feedback please

Dannicus
05-21-2011, 8:34 PM
I just got one. Pretty well built and shoots well so far. I'd put it on par with Stags stuff. Just don't buy it from del ton unless you can wait for it for Xmas.

Btw, a search will get you lots of posts to read on this topic in a hurry.

evidens83
05-21-2011, 8:40 PM
Great range plinker I've never had a problem.

mceod
05-21-2011, 10:47 PM
I've never had issues with mine. It shoots accurate enough. Very reliable though.

slomofo
05-22-2011, 1:51 AM
I have a couple, they work fine.

cali_armz
05-22-2011, 3:35 AM
I have a complete del ton AR15 and im very happy with it. absolutely no problems at all, not even a misfeed. I looked into del ton when i first bought mine and found nothing but positive first hand feedback about them.

the only negative comments i found on del ton were from people who had no experience with them and simply didnt trust the low price.

Norcal Industries
05-22-2011, 3:43 AM
ive had and ordered plenty, they work great for range rifles, but on my latest order, ive been waiting since march 17th, so they are very behind right now.

Redchevyman
05-22-2011, 4:14 AM
Del-Ton is a well made upper. I sell them here at Calguns and am running a special on chrome lined M4 style uppers for $420 (regular $460).
PM me if you want one.

gunsarefun
05-22-2011, 5:28 AM
I've got a complete Del-ton, and I've been very happy with it.

Tzvia
05-22-2011, 6:12 AM
Search is your friend, lots of Delton threads...

I bought an upper back in 2006 (w/lpk and A2 stock) when they offered the A1C7 upper, 20" gvmt style CL barrel and A1FH. Not one single hickup in many thousands of rounds, very reliable. It shipped to me in good order, with the sights well regulated for 55gr fodder. The total for my A1 retro build was about $770 including some old triangle handguards.

Don't listen to any nay-sayers and 'ok for range gun' type comments (I thought only Nancy Pelosi could hold her nose that high). Horse pucky. If it's well made, reliable and shoots where you point, it would make a fine SHTF weapon if configured as such. I've taken mine out to the desert -shot all weekend- dirt and sand- no issues.

I understand they are running a back order right now. Their stuff is a good value.

Norcal Industries
05-22-2011, 6:27 AM
they are good for the range, but i have had some quality control issues with them, so i wouldnt stake my life on one if i had the chance. if its all you can afford and youre just plinking, theyre great. i have one of their m4geries that i use all the time. but for a little more, you can get one you can trust, like an lmt, for less than a grand. im not one of those snobs, as youre assuming, just passing on info ive gleaned over the last 20 years of shooting them.

blazeaglory
05-22-2011, 10:51 AM
hmm 1 bad review and 6+ good reviews.

Charlie50
05-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Yep and I would guess "the one" does not or has not owned one. DelTon did, in fact, have some issues, several years ago. Don't let AR elitism sway you too much. Good guns, no issues, no hesitation picking up it if really needed, just like my Colts or Rockriver... my 30 years experience with ARs... so there!:) BTW most of us, will never, ever, ever or ever have to depend on these weapons in a battlefield environment.

drifter001
05-22-2011, 4:22 PM

I agree. i think this upper will do for not and just build another ar with a stag upper. two ar's are better than one :D

kermit315
05-22-2011, 5:06 PM
they are good for the range, but i have had some quality control issues with them, so i wouldnt stake my life on one if i had the chance. if its all you can afford and youre just plinking, theyre great. i have one of their m4geries that i use all the time. but for a little more, you can get one you can trust, like an lmt, for less than a grand. im not one of those snobs, as youre assuming, just passing on info ive gleaned over the last 20 years of shooting them.

What QC issues?

SureShot241
05-22-2011, 5:10 PM
With any "cheap" AR gear, it will work fine, but its not mil spec and its not match grade. It will be perfect at the range though.

kermit315
05-22-2011, 5:12 PM
With any "cheap" AR gear, it will work fine, but its not mil spec and its not match grade. It will be perfect at the range though.

quantify your answer: whats not mil spec about it?

missiontrails
05-22-2011, 5:45 PM
quantify your answer: whats not mil spec about it?

If they were made with the correct materials to be mil-spec or better.... they would not be $400 uppers. Just curious..... what would stop someone from spending the extra $60 in order to get a Spikes or a CMMG? I don't see the logic... Spikes and CMMG uppers are OUT THERE for $499..... plenty of them.

missiontrails
05-22-2011, 5:48 PM

I concur with you.

Tzvia
05-22-2011, 6:13 PM
Anything can fail. Anything. If the purpose was SHTF, whatever you choose, you better wring it out as much as possible, and shoot it with what you plan to feed it in an emergency.

I bought a Remington 870 Tactical, and while shooting it for the second time, the front sight fell off! Yea, backed out of the dovetail. WTF? Now it's in there real good with a little JB Weld for good measure. Did I trust it after. Nope. Shot some slugs from it, took it to the range and shot maybe 400 clays before re-stoking it for defense.

Bought a S&W M&P 45 last December, did I just load 'er up and put it in my emergency box? Nope. Shot 500 rounds of mixed fodder, including my defensive load, before doing that.

My Delton has run flawless from day one, with a number of loads. It's not something I would grab for SHTF, I did not buy it for that, and it's too long and heavy. But if it came to it or nothing, I would use it with confidence. Yes it's a range toy, and not a MOA rifle either, but with my old eyes and open sights, I can keep it in the black at 50~75 yards. It's total fun out in the desert, as I run from 'station' to 'station' blasting fruit and clays. I've got an AR with an 18" WOA barrel that will sub MOA with my handloads. But it is NOT more reliable. Just more accurate. It should be, I paid well over double for it.

All I am trying to say is, if you buy a Delton expecting a sub MOA bench rifle, you will be unhappy with it, as that is not what it is. If you want to kill clays and lemons in the desert, it's perfect. If it runs flawlessly and is configured in a way that does not hamper it's use for SHTF, it would work there too. So decide on the purpose, and choose accordingly.