PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout a black rifle category..

scootergmc
12-06-2006, 10:00 PM
rather than clogging up the rifle forum... Granted, there may not be that many regular rifle threads, but wading through all the OLL/AR/AK rerun threads in the rifle section gets old... you might as well call it the black rifle section as it stands right now.

just a suggestion, that's all. :p

paradox
12-07-2006, 6:50 AM
I'm not sure you can really call most AKs, or FALs Black Rifles. Having a separate forum would just confuse things.

I can see it now:
"I want to start a thread on building an uzi, should it go in the "black rifle" category or the "rifle" category? Hmm, since I'm painting it my little pony pink, perhaps the standard rife category. But then again, uzis start out black. But then again, they start out as pistols too. Maybe I'll just STFU and not contribute my thread to CalGuns."

scootergmc
12-07-2006, 8:16 AM
Call it whatever you want. Assault rifle section, whatever. There's nothing wrong with the, "STFU and not contribute my thread" anyway. Lord knows it's probably been contributed before.

SemiAutoSam
12-07-2006, 8:37 AM
This isn't a black rifle ?

Lets break this down a little ok

What color is this rifle ? while the pic isn't straight on its still pretty easy to tell its BLACK right?

OK and its not a handgun, or a shotgun right can you tell what kind of firearm it is ?

Looks somewhat like a rifle to me ?

anyone else ? since this one is a semi auto its not a machine gun so what say you all ?

http://gunscal.com/photopost/data/500/medium/HERSTAL4.jpg

Or do we all think that only a AR15/M16 style rifle can be called a BLACK RIFLE ?

I'm not sure you can really call most AKs, or FALs Black Rifles. Having a separate forum would just confuse things.

I can see it now:
"I want to start a thread on building an uzi, should it go in the "black rifle" category or the "rifle" category? Hmm, since I'm painting it my little pony pink, perhaps the standard rife category. But then again, uzis start out black. But then again, they start out as pistols too. Maybe I'll just STFU and not contribute my thread to CalGuns."

paradox
12-07-2006, 10:14 AM
This isn't a black rifle ?

Or do we all think that only a AR15/M16 style rifle can be called a BLACK RIFLE ?

Well, the AR series is the gun that coined the "black rifle" moniker. I said “most” fals and aks weren’t black because I am under the assumption that “most” of the fals and aks made around the world were originally manufactured with non-black furniture (standard fal furniture always seemed grey to me). Also, both the fal family as well as the ak family often sported wood which was rarely dyed black.

Now, if we’re going to expand the “black rifle” label to your literal interpretation, then a thread about your fal would be in the black rifle forum, while someone’s fal sporting Ironwood designs furniture would be in the riflemans forum. A black, synthetic stocked Rem 700 would be in the “black rifles” while a wood stocked version would get filed under the riflemans forum.

Trying to divide discussions on rifles into two forums is as silly as SB23 and for the same reason.

SemiAutoSam
12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Point taken and understood.

scootergmc
12-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, the AR series is the gun that coined the "black rifle" moniker. I said “most” fals and aks weren’t black because I am under the assumption that “most” of the fals and aks made around the world were originally manufactured with non-black furniture (standard fal furniture always seemed grey to me). Also, both the fal family as well as the ak family often sported wood which was rarely dyed black.

Now, if we’re going to expand the “black rifle” label to your literal interpretation, then a thread about your fal would be in the black rifle forum, while someone’s fal sporting Ironwood designs furniture would be in the riflemans forum. A black, synthetic stocked Rem 700 would be in the “black rifles” while a wood stocked version would get filed under the riflemans forum.

Trying to divide discussions on rifles into two forums is as silly as SB23 and for the same reason.

Black rifle is a figure of speech as to the specific types of weapons. You seem intelligent and have that figured out. Why then apply semantics and use the example of a Rem 700 and furniture just because it fits your argument? You wouldn't happen to be a cop would you? :eek: j/k

I too see your point, but I think it would only confuse the same people who don't know how to use the search function.

And what's wrong with SB23? :confused: :p

scootergmc
12-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Also, why not an optics forum... get those threads out of there too...

tenpercentfirearms
12-07-2006, 1:32 PM
Honestly, the fewer forums the better. Keep it simple. Rifles is all you need. If it is a black rifle, post it up in rifles. If you want to know what kind of rifle scope to choose, put it in rifles. All the subforums just make more for me to cruise through and I will end up mainly sticking to a few forums. The more you can get into those few forums, the more likely more people will read it.

scootergmc
12-07-2006, 3:41 PM
Then all we need is more moderators...