PDA

View Full Version : removing flash hider on cmmg w/14.5

savageevo
12-06-2006, 9:23 PM
I have a cmmg upper with a 14.5 barrel and 1.5 flash hider. I am planning on replacing it with a brake and I just installed my u15 stock. the only thing I need to do is remove the flash hider and I can have detachable mags. by looking at the flash hider it looks like its been glued on. How do I get that flash hider off. I assume putting it on a vise and just forcing it off. Am I going in the right direction. I don't want to kill my upper by doing the wrong thing. thanks for all the help.

Joe
12-06-2006, 9:55 PM
I may be incorrect, but I thought that in order to have a barrel less that 16" the muzzle device must be permanently attached (welded). So your flash hider is probably permanently installed on your barrel.

bwiese
12-06-2006, 10:03 PM
STOP. THINK. DO NOT PROCEED!!!

Your muzzle device is pinned & welded or silver soldered. It is 'permanently attached' as per BATF specs.

If you remove it, you can be regarded as "constructively possessing" an illegal short-barrelled rifle, a real no-no on both a Federal and state basis. (Rifle barrels have to be 16" or longer.) This is true even if the barrel is separated from the lower receiver. You don't wanna possess - even on separated property - a shorter-than-16" bbl and an AR lower.

If you really really, really wanna have this done, have a gunsmith do it.

It may be very difficult and expensive, good chance of ruining your barrel - you're likely best off getting another barrel with appropriate muzzle device/length that suits your needs anyway.

Go get another barrel that's 16" and doesn't have a flash hider.

tenpercentfirearms
12-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Yep, that baby is permanent. There are gun smiths out there that will remove and reinstall another muzzle brake if you send it to them. I believe if you do a search, you might be able to find an old thread about this.

That is why the 2 CMMG 14.5"ers I have in my shop have the muzzle brake.

savageevo
12-06-2006, 10:37 PM
thanks bill, I guess I will be going the del mar show to get another upper

adamsreeftank
12-06-2006, 10:40 PM
If you don't want to buy a whole other upper, then just buy a new barrel and swap them. Definitley do NOT remove the flash hider. You could always sell it and get what you need.

JWC6
12-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Is the the same Technical Ted from before?

It it is, thank you for coming back.:)

JPglee1
12-07-2006, 12:28 PM
The barrel has to be removed from the upper and put on a lathe. The area of the flash suppressor fore and aft of the blind pin is cut away, including the weld, so the pin can be extracted and the flash suppressor removed.

I guess someone could do that...

But the way I would do it is cut the old brake off with a dremel and a cut off wheel, remove the pin once found, and then silversolder the new brake on with a MAPP torch.

Could prolly do it all in 30 mins, and do it for wayyyy less than $100.

OF course, some people like to think the ATF has psychic powers and will jump thru your windows, killing your dog and shooting your wife as you're in the process of removing the old one.

Many will disagree with me. I believe if you have all the parts in one place, a MAPP torch, the new device and have it laid out in a manner that makes it obvious you are performing the work in an effort to be LEGAL than you won't have any problems. Just don't take the old one off and then take 2 weeks to put the new one back on, lol.

Good luck to you.

JP

creampuff
12-07-2006, 12:29 PM
My apologies to the OP of this original topic...but Technical Ted..how do you maintain a post count of zero?

SemiAutoSam
12-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Ted Has magic JU JU also he is a long time fixture here so he knows the ways of the FORCE.

Maybe not but why tempt fate. (hears in the background ATF choppers and Burps pulling up Sam's driveway (POP POP POP POP go their tires as they drive over Sam's Intrusion deterrents.)
OF course, some people like to think the ATF has psychic powers and will jump thru your windows, killing your dog and shooting your wife as you're in the process of removing the old one.

JPglee1
12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Maybe not but why tempt fate.

I dunno about you, but I have no reason to get raided in the middle of my flash hider swap, to begin with...

I guess everyone is different... but see the law has this thing called INTENT... you have to INTEND to break the law to be found guilty. IF you had all the stuff laid out on your work bench with the INTENT to be 100% legal, I highly doubt a jury would convict.

And like I said, I highly doubt yer gonna get "raided" at that moment anyway. If you're worried about getting raided maybe theres other issues you got going on, besides swapping out flash hiders hahaha :cool: :D

JP

bwiese
12-07-2006, 1:12 PM
I dunno about you, but I have no reason to get raided in the middle of my flash hider swap, to begin with...

I guess everyone is different... but see the law has this thing called INTENT... you have to INTEND to break the law to be found guilty. IF you had all the stuff laid out on your work bench with the INTENT to be 100% legal, I highly doubt a jury would convict.

Many people have been popped for constructive possession issues - usu MGs items but SBR/SBS stuff counts too.

There are lots of legal matters where 'intent' has no relevance, and simple possession takes charge.

Don Kilmer has stated that 80+% of AW violations stem from home/domestic issues. I'm sure this percentage would be similar if the subject extended into broadly related areas of SBRs/SBSes/MGs.

There are a variety of reasons cops etc can come into your house, without even suspected criminal action.

An acquaintance lost his AR10 that way, due to an unstable elderly/ Alzheimer's father and a visiting slightly loopy brother (mild schizy). Lucky he didn't get popped for charges and just lost the gun.

JPglee1
12-07-2006, 1:37 PM
There are lots of legal matters where 'intent' has no relevance, and simple possession takes charge.

There are a variety of reasons cops etc can come into your house, without even suspected criminal action.

Believe me, I know :)

I'm just saying a REASONABLE person would most likely see theres no "criminal" act occuring.

I say take your lower receiver to a friends house or your mothers house and let them infrequently borrow it for hunting while you do your flash hider.

Anyway, I'm not a lawyer. Don't listen to my advice cuz I'm not trained TO give you advice, which this is not. Take it to a gunsmith and get it done if you are worried about it, its 100% safe that way.

I was just playing devils advocate. I apologize.

IF you're reading this, don't go swap your flashider with your lower in the same house hold, at the very minimum if you decide to replace your permanently affixed muzzle device, remove the lower receiver from the vincinity and preferably put a different upper receiver on it so the one you're working on is a pistol upper, not the upper that came off the lower sitting next to you, while yer doing the work.

No matter what you do, be smart AND safe about it. Consult a lawyer first, and wear safety glasses (especially when contacting the attorney)

JP

mltrading
12-07-2006, 2:41 PM
Getting a new (or another) barrel with MB is a safer way.

Aluisious
12-07-2006, 2:44 PM
Selling what you got for something new with what you want is clearly the legit way to do it.

Toolbox X
12-07-2006, 2:55 PM
I have a 14.5 Bushmaster upper with MB "permanently attached". It's a postban upper with the bayonet lug cut off, etc. Actually it's the very same upper that is in used as my logo and in all my posts and on my homepage for www.CaliforniaRifles.com (http://www.CaliforniaRifles.com).

At the Costa Mesa show I had to remove the flash hider from my 20" A1 upper so I could remove the fixed mag. I had never uninstalled or installed a flash hider before so I was pleasantly surprised to find it very easy to do.

This got me thinking about my 14.5" Bushmaster barrel and MB. I know it is supposed to be welded or pinned or whatever, but I don't see any weld marks. The only thing that looks suspicious is on the side of the MB the metal is slightly discolored. Other than that it looks like I could just wrench the MB off, though I'm sure that isn't the case.

Can someone explain how MB's like mine are fixed to the barrel?

blacklisted
12-07-2006, 3:01 PM
I have a 14.5 Bushmaster upper with MB "permanently attached". It's a postban upper with the bayonet lug cut off, etc. Actually it's the very same upper that is in used as my logo and in all my posts and on my homepage for www.CaliforniaRifles.com (http://www.CaliforniaRifles.com).

At the Costa Mesa show I had to remove the flash hider from my 20" A1 upper so I could remove the fixed mag. I had never uninstalled or installed a flash hider before so I was pleasantly surprised to find it very easy to do.

This got me thinking about my 14.5" Bushmaster barrel and MB. I know it is supposed to be welded or pinned or whatever, but I don't see any weld marks. The only thing that looks suspicious is on the side of the MB the metal is slightly discolored. Other than that it looks like I could just wrench the MB off, though I'm sure that isn't the case.

Can someone explain how MB's like mine are fixed to the barrel?

It is probably pinned on and welded (blind pin method). See "How to permanently attach a muzzle device" on this page for more info: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

If done properly, it would probably look like yours with just a little discolored spot.

With silver solder or weld all the way around it can also be made to look nice.

mltrading
12-07-2006, 3:12 PM
Yeah, get a 16" BBL instaed of 14.5+1.5. What's the advantage of 14.5+1.5 configuration?:)

PLINK
12-07-2006, 3:32 PM
These guys can do the work for you. I have an HBAR Bushy barrel that they did a government profile contour on (the previous owner had this done).

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices.cfm?page=shop

Toolbox X
12-07-2006, 5:16 PM
It is probably pinned on and welded (blind pin method). See "How to permanently attach a muzzle device" on this page for more info: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

If done properly, it would probably look like yours with just a little discolored spot.

You nailed it. That post perfectly explained how my MB is pinned. I learned a lot of other stuff too. I've only used that post to install my trigger kits. I didn't realize how many processes it covered.

Maybe I am just weird, but I really prefer the look of the shorter 14.5" with MB/FH vs. the 16" with MB/FH. Functionally the threaded 16" is far superior in just about every way, but aesthetically I just like the look of the shorter barrel more.

robairto
12-08-2006, 7:19 PM
My Maadi has a small nut over the threads thats welded on; I'd like to put a
muzzle break on it.

SemiAutoSam
12-08-2006, 7:20 PM
What configurations is it ? Grip less ? fixed mag ?

My Maddi has a small nut over the threads that's welded on; I'd like to put a
muzzle break on it.