PDA

View Full Version : Noveske N6 Lower Reciever Vs. Mega

GoingPro
05-21-2011, 6:44 PM
Which is better?? what are the major differences between the two? The mega looks pretty awesome.

THT
05-21-2011, 6:49 PM
The N6 locks you in to the AR10 platform whereas with the MA-TEN, you can use either an Armalite-pattern or DPMS/SR25-pattern barrel.

CHS
05-21-2011, 7:01 PM
The N6 locks you in to the AR10 platform whereas with the MA-TEN, you can use either an Armalite-pattern or DPMS/SR25-pattern barrel.

That doesn't make any sense.

So the MA-TEN is, in one receiver, compatible with both AR-10 and DPMS uppers?

What do you do about the gaping hole in the receiver fit when you put an AR-10 upper on the DPMS lower?

OP: The Noveske N6 lowers are actual forged lowers made by Armalite (or Aero, who makes them for Armalite) and are authorized AR-10 compatible receivers. You can use Armalite AR-10 uppers, Noveske N6 uppers, or any other true AR-10 compatible upper.

GENERALLY, the AR-10 platform is utilized by higher-end/higher-quality manufacturers.

When going with the DPMS pattern rifles, you do have a much larger inventory of parts and manufacturers to deal with, the magazines are less expensive and more standardized, but the rifles themselves can be a little more finicky to tune if you're building yourself.

In other words, AR-10 is a little more "standardized", if it can be called that while DPMS introduces much more variety.

In the ideal world, in my opinion, one would utilize an AR-10 system that takes DPMS/SR-25 magazines.

As far as Noveske N6 vs. Mega, well Noveske is forged and Mega is billet. Neither is "better". The Mega will look cooler. That's about it.

The best choice is to find the pattern you want to go for (AR-10 or DPMS) and then pick your receiver from there.

GoingPro
05-21-2011, 7:03 PM

What do you do about the gaping hole in the receiver fit when you put an AR-10 upper on the DPMS lower?

OP: The Noveske N6 lowers are actual forged lowers made by Armalite (or Aero, who makes them for Armalite) and are authorized AR-10 compatible receivers. You can use Armalite AR-10 uppers, Noveske N6 uppers, or any other true AR-10 compatible upper.

GENERALLY, the AR-10 platform is utilized by higher-end/higher-quality manufacturers.

When going with the DPMS pattern rifles, you do have a much larger inventory of parts and manufacturers to deal with, the magazines are less expensive and more standardized, but the rifles themselves can be a little more finicky to tune if you're building yourself.

In other words, AR-10 is a little more "standardized", if it can be called that while DPMS introduces much more variety.

In the ideal world, in my opinion, one would utilize an AR-10 system that takes DPMS/SR-25 magazines.

As far as Noveske N6 vs. Mega, well Noveske is forged and Mega is billet. Neither is "better". The Mega will look cooler. That's about it.

The best choice is to find the pattern you want to go for (AR-10 or DPMS) and then pick your receiver from there.

sweet, thank you. i will have to see what my heart desires and how big the bank account is :)

Tyrant
05-21-2011, 7:13 PM

I am absolutely on board with you on this statement.
Why won't Magpul just make AR-10 mags and fix this problem?:shrug:

THT
05-21-2011, 7:37 PM

Not the entire upper. http://www.megamachineshop.com/ma-ten-compatibility.php

cmace22
05-21-2011, 7:37 PM

Actually it does.

The Ma-Ten was designed to be used with either DPMS OR Armalite style barrels and bolts. Essentially giving you your Armalite with DPMS mags if desired.

The fact that Armalite mags are expensive and can be finicky themselves is the reason I'd go DPMS style.

THT
05-21-2011, 7:42 PM

Probably due to it being a smaller market. The military uses the M110, not an Armalite AR10.

C.G.
05-21-2011, 9:43 PM
Probably due to it being a smaller market. The military uses the M110, not an Armalite AR10.

Not the Canadians, they use the AR-10.

Wnick308
05-21-2011, 9:47 PM
I'd say the N6 lower.

C.G.
05-21-2011, 9:52 PM
Actually it does.

The Ma-Ten was designed to be used with either DPMS OR Armalite style barrels and bolts. Essentially giving you your Armalite with DPMS mags if desired.

The fact that Armalite mags are expensive and can be finicky themselves is the reason I'd go DPMS style.

That could have been done with either style before Ma-Ten ever came out, as long as the bolts and barrels were matching, nothing there that Mega designed. I think only the DPMS guys were after AR-10 barrels, because Krieger and other good barrel makers did not make barrels for DPMS till recently.
As to the "finicky" AR-10 mags, the only ones that were problematic were end user modified M14 mags. I have generation 1 and generation 2 AR-10 factory mags and they perform flawlessly (and if you buy them in battle packs they are a lot cheaper).

DanHuuN
05-21-2011, 10:30 PM
I say just go with the LMT MWS

CHS
05-21-2011, 10:54 PM

All this link says is that it uses standard barrels and bolts (Armalite and DPMS use the same barrels and bolts already):

Not the entire upper. http://www.megamachineshop.com/ma-ten-compatibility.php

It's still an AR-10 upper/lower combo.

The nice thing is that it takes DPMS mags.

So the Noveske N6 upper would work on this lower, but a DPMS upper still would not.

Capita159
05-22-2011, 1:54 AM
Which is better?? what are the major differences between the two? The mega looks pretty awesome.

+1 for Mega MA-Ten set
I went with a CMMG MK-8, because I can get 6-10 fully functional HK G3 magazines for the price of 1 AR-10 or 1 DPMS LR-308 mag. ;)

So the Noveske N6 upper would work on this lower, but a DPMS upper still would not.

I think it's best to clear it with Mega before you mix up the manufactures. I don't see any places sells the Mega ma-ten lowers without the uppers. Besides, you really can't go wrong with factory receiver pairs. American Spirit Arms "ASA" have an excellent 308 side charger upper but will only work with ASA 308 lowers.

AntiScreed
07-02-2013, 10:17 PM
MA-Ten lowers are made for armalite or dpms patterns.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

THT
07-03-2013, 4:44 AM
I might be offering receiver sets that take Armalite AR10 upper components but feed from DPMS/SR25 mags such as the Magpul 20LR sometime in the near future.

Arnelcheeze
07-03-2013, 1:50 PM
MA-Ten lowers are made for armalite or dpms patterns.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is incorrect, the Maten lowers only work with its own uppers. It can how ever take AR10 or Sr25/DPMS bolts and barrels you pick which way you want to build, but it does use a DPMS barrel nut.

kalieracer
07-04-2013, 12:43 AM
It's called an AR-10a and AR-10 (OG Armalite) or an SR-25

I am absolutely on board with you on this statement.

kalieracer
07-04-2013, 12:44 AM
+1 on this

I say just go with the LMT MWS

kalieracer
07-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Wrong on the mags.. The MATEN's only use SR-25 style mags, which are patterned after the 1950's Mil Spec ar-10 not the current AR-10B model.

Actually it does.