PDA

View Full Version : Ammo

nevil
05-21-2011, 6:31 PM
Just bought 500 rounds of Peters what do you think any good?

bjl333
05-21-2011, 6:33 PM
Just shoot it to find out. I have no experience with those, I do have bad experience with the Remington cheap stuff though!

Izzy43
05-21-2011, 6:51 PM
Just bought 500 rounds of Peters what do you think any good?

Let us know how it shots, at what range (50yd is a good test), measure a 5 shot group. Where did you buy it? Is it hollow point, round nose, high or standard velocity, copper coated or lubed lead?

Look at this thread:http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-286520.html

nevil
05-22-2011, 5:00 PM
Well they shot good groups at 25 yards but were really dirty. I had a lot of power residue all over the bolt of my Marlin 60 and the barrel was really dirty. I did not try them at 50 yards because I was also shoot my G23 and did not want to change lanes. I think for 18 dollars for 500 I will just send a couple of dollars more for Blazers for feds. Also they are lube lead high velocity and are made buy Remington.

Izzy43
05-23-2011, 3:01 PM
Well they shot good groups at 25 yards but were really dirty. I had a lot of power residue all over the bolt of my Marlin 60 and the barrel was really dirty. I did not try them at 50 yards because I was also shoot my G23 and did not want to change lanes. I think for 18 dollars for 500 I will just send a couple of dollars more for Blazers for feds. Also they are lube lead high velocity and are made buy Remington.

Made by Remington, NUFF said.

speeddreamz
05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Can anyone chime in on Bullet Weight, HV, Hollow vs Solid Point.

What each is good for? i.e. squirrels vs paper shooting

Izzy43
05-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Can anyone chime in on Bullet Weight, HV, Hollow vs Solid Point.

What each is good for? i.e. squirrels vs paper shooting

High velocity hollow points for critters, standard velocity solid round nose for targets. Decent target ammo will cost a minimum of $5/50 and up. Thats for shootin little, bitty groups.

speeddreamz
05-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Do the HP vs Solid pts matter in terminal ballistics? Will one have better range than the other?

Packy14
05-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Solid is usually more accurate, but there are many other factors such as consistency of powder load and consistency of bullet weight (varies greatly with many .22lr rounds of less quality). Real accuracy will cost you 5-6$ for 50 rounds... for plinking that is unnecessary.

Izzy43
05-24-2011, 7:54 PM
Do the HP vs Solid pts matter in terminal ballistics? Will one have better range than the other?

Range is dependant on bullet weight/velocity. Example: Aguila has two hypervelocity ammos. One is 40 grain @ 1450 FPS the other is 30 grain @ 1750 FPS. The 30 grain will have a little longer range but the 40 grain will have more terminal energy. A 40 grain HV bullet zeroed at 50 yds will drop about 6" at 100 yds while a 40 grain Standard velocity zeroed at 50 yds will drops about 8" at 100yds. Different powder loads.

You need to pick the ammo for the purpose you are using it for. Hollow points are made to expand on impact so common use is for hunting and in HV provide more terminal enegry. Round nose is a tad more aerodynamic so it is a better target ammo especially in standard velocity as it does not transition from sonic to subsonic and suffer from turbulence which affects accuracy beyond about 40 yards.

T3chnical
05-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Range is dependant on bullet weight/velocity. Example: Aguila has two hypervelocity ammos. One is 40 grain @ 1450 FPS the other is 30 grain @ 1750 FPS. The 30 grain will have a little longer range but the 40 grain will have more terminal energy. A 40 grain HV bullet zeroed at 50 yds will drop about 6" at 100 yds while a 40 grain Standard velocity zeroed at 50 yds will drops about 8" at 100yds. Different powder loads.

You need to pick the ammo for the purpose you are using it for. Hollow points are made to expand on impact so common use is for hunting and in HV provide more terminal enegry. Round nose is a tad more aerodynamic so it is a better target ammo especially in standard velocity as it does not transition from sonic to subsonic and suffer from turbulence which affects accuracy beyond about 40 yards.

Thanks for the info Izzy!