PDA

View Full Version : what do I need to do after ar15 purchase in CA

kevin4030817
12-06-2006, 6:38 PM
Hello all… this site is great lots of good info… but need a little more info…. a friend of a friend is selling a use BUSHMASTER CARBON 15 TOP LOADING RIFLE for 800 bucks. I’m interested in buying it… but was wondering if there are any steps I need to do after the purchase? I stay in California…. Is it just like buying a rifle? Or do I need to file some sort of paper work with CA DOJ? I am really clueless… any help would be great.. And plus is this a great deal? Thanks in advance

SemiAutoSam
12-06-2006, 6:41 PM
Get yourself a dremel tool. and buy some 10 round mags and a MAG-LOCK.

Or just shoot it the way it is.

762cavalier
12-06-2006, 6:55 PM
Yes it is just like buying any other rifle. Just buy it and enjoy shooting it. No special paperwork involved.

tenpercentfirearms
12-06-2006, 7:21 PM
Buy an OLL instead. The only people dumb enough to buy those fixed mag guns right now is me and I just cut a deal on 3-4 FAB-10s so I won't need anymore anytime soon.

EOD Guy
12-07-2006, 5:13 AM
Hello all… this site is great lots of good info… but need a little more info…. a friend of a friend is selling a use BUSHMASTER CARBON 15 TOP LOADING RIFLE for 800 bucks. I’m interested in buying it… but was wondering if there are any steps I need to do after the purchase? I stay in California…. Is it just like buying a rifle? Or do I need to file some sort of paper work with CA DOJ? I am really clueless… any help would be great.. And plus is this a great deal? Thanks in advance

If you want to be completely legal, you have to transfer the rifle through a California dealer who will submit the DROS and hold the rifle for a 10 day waiting period.:mad:

fastsvt1998
12-07-2006, 5:23 AM
Get yourself a dremel tool. and buy some 10 round mags and a MAG-LOCK.

Or just shoot it the way it is.

I have heard rumors but has anyone done it? The material gets kind of thin by the trigger guard. I was one of those dumb people as Wes stated!

tenpercentfirearms
12-07-2006, 5:44 AM
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT DREMMEL THAT THING! There someday might be a purpose and use for the clearly legal FAB-10s and BM Carbon-15s. If all you want is a detachable magazine, buy an OLL. These sealed over magwell rifles were built that way for a reason, when there are lowers out there for pretty darn cheap, why would you want to screw one up?

Anyone and everyone who has asked me about cutting up their gun, I tell them that is just a foolish thing to do. And it isn't just because I sell OLLs.

Again, I am buying sealed mag guns up. There might be a use for them someday. There certainly is a use for them in my gun shop. Someday you might not want to have just OLLs for legal reasons (like if they become assault weapons you won't want to always carry around a locked up gun or have to get permission to use it on other people's property). Keep your neutered guns neutered.

DV8
12-07-2006, 6:37 AM
I wouldnt cut it up either. If it were me, I would buy an OLL and strip the bushy lower then go gripless or fixed mag.

fairfaxjim
12-07-2006, 7:23 AM
Tenpercent is right, why spend $800 on a Carbon-15 when you can build an OLL and get a good deal on an upper, all for $550 - $600 if you aren't snobish about what you use and shop intelligently and patiently? Search the forum and look at what others have built and what they used, then decide. You can do way better that that plastic thing.

trouble
12-07-2006, 7:59 AM
Mr. Tenpercent (50 cent) is right! If you plan on drilling it out, just get any old OLL and build up that way. That being said, the CA Bushy is quite a nice piece of equipment. Well executed and no doubt of it being California legal. $800 from a buddy is not a bad price since most stores have it around $1000. Of course, you can get it brand new from Bud's for $829 (+shipping +fees).

I shot one last weekend and it was really accurate, easy to load, and a good all-around rifle. I really liked it!

I suggest buying it for $750, and buying an OLL for your next build... that way you have something to play with while you're collecting parts :)

As for transferring, just like any other long gun.

Aluisious
12-07-2006, 8:28 AM
Normal rifle purchase.