PDA

View Full Version : Dragunov Stripped Lower

Vipersx911
05-21-2011, 4:18 PM
Hey guys;

Anyone know where I could find a Dragunov Stripped Lower in 7.62x54R, I always see the AR style lowers, but never see the AK's. If anyone knows of a place as well as the parts kits I would need to complete the weapon please let me know. Thanks in advance guys.

69Mach1
05-21-2011, 4:24 PM
Milled SVD Dragunov receivers are non-existent.

FTC
05-21-2011, 4:26 PM
research the romanian psl. youre not going to find a real svd receiver and parts kit.

Vipersx911
05-21-2011, 4:34 PM
There is a reciever I came across on www.centerfiresystems.com that seemed to do it, but I have no idea who makes it or anything like that. Plus the price seemed low at $79

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 4:43 PM
There is a reciever I came across on www.centerfiresystems.com (http://www.centerfiresystems.com) that seemed to do it, but I have no idea who makes it or anything like that. Plus the price seemed low at $79
Not milled, and Centerfire won't ship firearms to CA so you'll need a middleman FFL.

Vipersx911
05-21-2011, 4:46 PM
Not milled, and Centerfire won't ship firearms to CA so you'll need a middleman FFL.

What is the difference with milled versus not? I have never built a weapon only bought complete for the most part. Never had to deal with this before.

RawImpact
05-21-2011, 4:48 PM
What is the difference with milled versus not? I have never built a weapon only bought complete for the most part. Never had to deal with this before.

You need to do a lot more research before purchasing parts then.

Vipersx911
05-21-2011, 4:59 PM
You need to do a lot more research before purchasing parts then.

Well that is why I am asking on here. When it comes to building an AR all the recievers you see are on the shelf, when you are searching for something else that isnt just out there things get a little more difficult.

cmace22
05-21-2011, 5:17 PM
AK's are not like AR's.

Things like:

Milled vs stamped

Receiver compatibility

Country of origin

Barreless kits with no available barrels

Are things that may derail a build

Vipersx911
05-21-2011, 5:24 PM
I think I understand, I was looking at the differences between milled and stamped. Also looking at the parts kits available online. I will have to think more if I want to do this build. Thanks for the info.

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 5:38 PM
Stamped is what 90% of all AK pattern builds are.
A flat piece of steel die-punched and bent into a receiver.
The front and rear trunnions are riveted to the receiver and the barrel pressed into the front trunnion.

A milled receiver is more like an AR.
A solid block of steel (or a rough casting) is machined out into the receiver. The front and rear trunnions are an integral part of this part.

A milled parts kit (if you can find one) can not be rebuilt with a stamped receiver without serious machine rework to the front and rear parts of the cut receiver to make them the same as stamped-build parts.
Milled parts kits are normally rewelded... beyond the ability of most beginner AK builders.

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 5:39 PM
I will have to think more if I want to do this build.
Of course you do ;)

tujungatoes
05-21-2011, 5:55 PM
Ok vipersx911, here are some things to know.

A dragunov is not the same as a PSL by any stretch of the imagination. The receivers you're looking at are PSL/FPK receivers. I know they say dragunov, but they flat out are not. The SVD/Dragunov is a milled receiver rifle with only vage cosmetic similarities to the PSL. As Mach pointed out receiver/parts kits are essentially non existent.

Cokebottle was right in that centerfire won't ship AK style rifles to CA. However they will ship the receiver you're looking at to your local off list friendly FFL. It will take some time though. For some reason they lag like a motherf**ker when it comes to that.

If you're going to go ahead with this get the $350 kit that comes with the front and rear trunnions and matching serial numbers. Also keep in mind that it's a bit more complicated than a standard AK build, and will require some specialized tools(beyond the regular AK tools). If this is your first build I urge you to seek assistance from a seasoned builder in your area or attend a build party. It's not gonna be like an AR receiver that you can put together with masking tape and channel-locks

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 6:27 PM
masking tape and channel-locks
Masking tape?
I just wrap my channel locks in electrical tape, but I'm very happy that I bought a Wheeler punch set and bench block ;)

Vipersx911
05-21-2011, 6:37 PM
Ok vipersx911, here are some things to know.

A dragunov is not the same as a PSL by any stretch of the imagination. The receivers you're looking at are PSL/FPK receivers. I know they say dragunov, but they flat out are not. The SVD/Dragunov is a milled receiver rifle with only vage cosmetic similarities to the PSL. As Mach pointed out receiver/parts kits are essentially non existent.

Cokebottle was right in that centerfire won't ship AK style rifles to CA. However they will ship the receiver you're looking at to your local off list friendly FFL. It will take some time though. For some reason they lag like a motherf**ker when it comes to that.

If you're going to go ahead with this get the $350 kit that comes with the front and rear trunnions and matching serial numbers. Also keep in mind that it's a bit more complicated than a standard AK build, and will require some specialized tools(beyond the regular AK tools). If this is your first build I urge you to seek assistance from a seasoned builder in your area or attend a build party. It's not gonna be like an AR receiver that you can put together with masking tape and channel-locks

Thank you man that was helpful, I am not a huge fan of the AR platform and I have some friends that are more experienced builders than I am. Appreciate the input and I am probably going to go through with this.

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 7:14 PM
Look up the members of the AK-Team.

We're blessed here in LA with CSA, 69Mach1, and a few other guys who have probably built more AK pattern rifles than Izmash, but you have some talented builders down there in San Diego as well.

tujungatoes
05-21-2011, 9:30 PM
Look up the members of the AK-Team

pfft....those losers?:rolleyes:;)

AndrewMendez
05-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Look up the members of the AK-Team.

We're blessed here in LA with CSA, 69Mach1, and a few other guys who have probably built more AK pattern rifles than Izmash, but you have some talented builders down there in San Diego as well.

pfft....those losers?:rolleyes:;)

Psssh, those guys with the matching tshirts?!!?

CSACANNONEER
05-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Psssh, those guys with the matching tshirts?!!?

Tee shirt? I never got no stinking Tee shirt.

BTW, Toes was instrumental in teaching me. If the old A-Team had had a Mcgyver like Toes, they would have been able to rig up a way to still be on the air.

Cokebottle
05-21-2011, 11:15 PM
BTW, Toes was instrumental in teaching me. If the old A-Team had had a Mcgyver like Toes, they would have been able to rig up a way to still be on the air.
Would have ended up being "Weekend at Hannibal's" after 1994 ;)

arga
05-22-2011, 1:00 AM
Here are some links that cover the SVD and the PSL. I believe that the SVD was specifically banned for import into the US during the Bush Sr. years as part of an arms treaty. It may have been during the Clinton years; I can't remember.

http://dragunov.us/
http://www.dragunov.net/

I wonder why there are no cloned receivers and parts kits like there are for so many other banned imports.

Until then there are mods available that can make your PSL look very similar to an SVD.

http://thedsmlab.com/psl_to_svd_adapter.html
http://blackhorsearsenal.com/

Merc1138
05-22-2011, 1:07 AM
I wonder why there are no cloned receivers and parts kits like there are for so many other banned imports.

Probably not enough demand to be able to make enough of 'em and get the cost down. Confusion also doesn't help much, look how many companies sell PSLs as "dragunovs" and people believe it's really a dragunov. It doesn't leave a whole lot of people to sell to who know better, and then you'd have to get those people to be able to justify paying a crapload more.

Cokebottle
05-22-2011, 1:24 AM
Not to mention the issue of the trunnions being built into the Dragunov receiver itself.
Even with a ready-made milled receiver, it's still not as simple as "slapping together" a numbers-matching AKM parts kit.
Headspacing is a function of the barrel, front trunnion, and bolt.
If the milled receiver is not drilled for the barrel pin, you have no easy way to locate it to match your barrel once you headspace it.

If it is drilled, you've got a 90% chance that it won't be right, so now you have to drill and install an oversized pin.... and hopefully it's drilled close enough to do that, or far enough off that you simply drill the barrel to match and install a standard size pin. Worst case, you get ()).

Vipersx911
05-22-2011, 2:13 AM
Well there are the devout AK style supporters that want nothing less than the real thing hence the thread. Anyone out there who can make this a reality come forward I am graduating college and want to buy myself a gift.

Merc1138
05-22-2011, 3:26 AM
Well there are the devout AK style supporters that want nothing less than the real thing hence the thread. Anyone out there who can make this a reality come forward I am graduating college and want to buy myself a gift.

Umm, did you not read what everyone has said? You won't find an SVD receiver. They weren't imported in any real quantity, and their import got banned quite a while ago making them rare. Top that off with the stupid AW ban, CA AW ban, and you've got next to none available.

Unless you plan on machining your own, it's not going to happen. Go to gunbroker.com and do a search for "dragunov" or "svd", the two currently on there are the chinese norincos and they want around $5,000 for even those.

The PSL would be the one that's reasonable to build/buy, but that's simply not a dragunov. If you want to look into building a PSL, I suggest the gunsmithing forum as that's where the guys setup build parties and post about deals they find on parts kits and stuff.

berg
05-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Why do people say "lower" when they really mean "receiver"?:confused:

Cokebottle
05-22-2011, 1:27 PM
Why do people say "lower" when they really mean "receiver"?:confused:
Thinking in terms of an AR.
The AK pattern technically has no lower, and this is what creates potential legal pitfalls during assembly.

The pistol grip, or in the case of the PSL, buttstock, must be installed after the magazine lock to avoid creating an assault weapon, and the gas tube and BCG must be installed last to avoid creating an SBR.

It's not like an AR where the receiver can be completed without a BB and tossed into the safe while the builder shops for an upper.

peterhodges
05-22-2011, 1:42 PM
psl build how to

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84420