PDA

View Full Version : PPT FFL to FFL info?

aghauler
05-21-2011, 2:07 PM
I need some help finding info that was in a thread regarding how a Dealer FFL can ship a "consignment" handgun to another FFL to be transfered to a new owner. Such as a So. Cal FFL lists on an online auction site a consignment handgun and sells it to a N.Cal resident. The N. Cal resident wants it shipped to a N.Cal FFL for DROSing. Some Forum member posted the correct procedure he was told to follow per the DOJ. Unfortunately I didn't save the info or the Thread. Any ideas which thread it might be found? Thanks, BB

dwtt
05-21-2011, 2:26 PM
If it's going from one FFL to another FFL, then it's a FFL transfer, not a PPT. How would this differ from any other FFL transfer? Maybe I missed something in the original post. ;)

Quiet
05-21-2011, 2:44 PM
If it's being shipped, then it's not longer a PPT and the handgun needs to be on the approved list or be exempt from it.

aghauler
05-21-2011, 2:50 PM
Originally my understanding was a consignment handgun could not be shipped to another FFL. DROSing had to be done in person at the FFL that had the handgun on consignment. I missed out on 2 non roster handguns from an auction in Chowchilla that I bid on after they told me they would ship to my N.Cal FFL. I won the auctions, then they emailed me and said their FFL couldn't ship to another FFL in CA as these were consignment and considered a PPT. So I would have to drive about 600 miles round trip to do the paperwork there. At least they admitted their mistake and canceled the bids as I wasn't going to do that kind of a drive, for 2 pistols. Since then in some thread here on this Forum I saw a DOJ "approved" procedure for completing such a transaction, that is unless I have MY wires crossed somewhere. ( According to my wife not too unusual:o ) It had to do with FFL A indicating something about a gunshow transfer then shipping to FFL B or something like that. I just want to find that posting and reread it, before I send a letter to the DOJ. The last few times I've emailed them questions they have phoned me to answer the questions, not emailed anything back to me in writing. Where as before they always emailed back the answer so I could have a hard copy of the answers. BB

aghauler
05-21-2011, 2:54 PM
If it's being shipped, then it's not longer a PPT and the handgun needs to be on the approved list or be exempt from it.

That's what I thought until I read that posting and why I'm trying to find the info to clarify what was in that posting of the "procedure". BB

morrcarr67
05-21-2011, 3:01 PM
You can ship a gun for PPT. The thing is you need 2 FFl's for this process and both FFL's have to know and understand the rules and how to do it.

A "split PPT" appear to be runnable as "gun show transaction".

Calgunner/FFL 'mscale5' wrote about this year or two ago, I've appended here:

From http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=44985&highlight=mscale5, (with a bit of reformatting from me):

If you are a CA PRIVATE PARTY and wish to sell your firearm to CA PRIVATE PARTY in another part
of the state you can have your firearm shipped to a FFL in the buyers area. Here is how you do this:

Take your firearm to a FFL.

Have (originating) FFL PRINT a DROS form for Gun Shows; he fills out the "Sellers Information" section
of the form and make a copy of your CA DL or ID card on the back - I also ask for the sellers' thumbprint
- and SWIPE the DL or ID, and print the info on the back of the form like for Gun Show transactions when
a computer isn't available.

With this DROS filled out, the (originating) FFL can ship the firearm to the buyers' (destination) FFL and
the (rest of the) paperwork can be filled out. To do this, the (originating) FFL must ship the firearm as verification it is the firearm that came from that person. Shipping cost should be lower then the cost of driving to do the transfer.

This is how I was told by the DOJ to do this type of transaction.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1684026&postcount=24

aghauler
05-21-2011, 3:14 PM
[QUOTE=morrcarr67;6443511]You can ship a gun for PPT. The thing is you need 2 FFl's for this process and both FFL's have to know and understand the rules and how to do it.

THAT's the post and info I was looking for! This time I'm saving the info!
Thanks! BB

Quiet
05-21-2011, 4:52 PM
However, over the last couple of years, CA DOJ BOF have been instructing CA FFL dealers to stop doing the split PPT.
So, currently, you will have a difficult time finding two CA FFL dealers willing to do this.