PDA

View Full Version : OK gurus I need your expertise

Warguy
05-21-2011, 1:09 PM
Ok so i just bought a Chiappa M4-22 and i ordered it online from a distributer. Now on their website it states

" •Conversion takes less than one minute & is achieved w/no permanent alterations to your firearm Includes (2) 28-round mags •Ideal for saving money •NOTE: Magazine capacity may be reduced according to local laws"

Now I called them to see if they had any 10/30 rounders they could send me instead of the short 10 rounders but i was informed, no they only have the 28 round mags and the 10 round mags and i will be getting the 10 round mags because i live in cali.

So hypothetically if i were to have received 28rd mags instead of the 10rd that they were supposed to ship i thought i read somewhere about how its illegal to purchase, machine, sell, give blah blah blah but not illegal to own and use a mag over 10 rounds, but the problem is there going to ask where did you get em right. So technically it is their bad because they are the ones that sent me these mags, so can i legally use them? I know its really up to me because a Dick LEO could say whatever he wants and i could get in trouble but i just want to kind of know if what i am talking about true? Or am i just thinking of shotguns? Thanks for all the advice in advance!!!

loose_electron
05-21-2011, 1:15 PM
When you drive 95mph by the CHP do you pull over and tell them to write you up?

If you got caught in a fire fight are you going to stand up and say "take your best shot, I'll try not to move!"

Izzy43
05-21-2011, 1:27 PM
I think you should get in contact with a local FFL that you trust and ask the question and not be looking to armchair lawyers to keep you out of trouble. After all its you that will pay the price if you are in possesion of something that is illegal. Cover your six o'clock in a way that you can trust and if you can't, then don't use those mags until you can.

You may get 10 opinions from 8 different people and none may be correct. Just saying, its you who will pay if the advice you go with is wrong. Sometimes free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Also this forum may not be the best place to reveal what you have purchased. After all this is in the public domain.

MrPlink
05-22-2011, 3:25 AM
asking FFL's isnt always the best idea. Most of them cant get it straight either.
If you want straight dope, ask a LAWYER. But even at that, you are still getting an interpretation. Being a JD doesent mean you are infallible.

IIRC this is a grey area, because you technically imported them.
Best thing you can do if this does happen (and trust me, it actually happens all the time)
is keep your mouth shut about it, and be happy that you have em.

If you really want a good answer ask on the 2A forum, many true legal eagles reside there

Izzy43
05-22-2011, 7:53 AM
asking FFL's isnt always the best idea. Most of them cant get it straight either.
If you want straight dope, ask a LAWYER. But even at that, you are still getting an interpretation. Being a JD doesent mean you are infallible.

Best thing you can do if this does happen (and trust me, it actually happens all the time)

If you really want a good answer ask on the 2A forum, many true legal eagles reside there

Best advice yet!

NorCalDustin
05-22-2011, 9:33 AM

That would be my suggestion...

Warguy
05-22-2011, 5:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it.