PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1A Question

Cato
05-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Why is the Springfield M1 Walnut stock oversized in comparision to a USGI stock? Is it to "civilianize" the weapon: to make it less tactical?

billgato
05-21-2011, 12:03 PM
You might have handled a SA M1A National Match rifle. It has the HUGE stock. Standard models have regular stock.

Cato
05-21-2011, 2:37 PM
No, I have the standard model. I just got a USGI stock from Numrich and it's much smaller.

Big D
05-21-2011, 5:37 PM
Springfield used to sell their rifles with USGI stocks, but I believe the supply has run dry and they are now selling their rifles with new stocks. I believe (so take this for what its worth) that GI stocks are relatively thin up front. The Fiberglass ones are even thinner than the wood ones. So the new larger stocks are probably an improvement over the GI ones.

Cato
05-21-2011, 8:43 PM
I know larger profile stocks are popular with competitive shooters; I, personally, just find oversized stocks less ergonomic.

It's interesting you mentioned the weakness of the USGI stock. I got one from Sportsman's Guide and it had a crack up front and putty repairs. I'm refinishing one from Numrich, and it's half the price and twice the quality.

dachan
05-21-2011, 9:42 PM
I know larger profile stocks are popular with competitive shooters; I, personally, just find oversized stocks less ergonomic.

It's interesting you mentioned the weakness of the USGI stock. I got one from Sportsman's Guide and it had a crack up front and putty repairs. I'm refinishing one from Numrich, and it's half the price and twice the quality.

Yes, the medium weight stock was originally designed for the National Match rifles and are preferred by most competitive shooter. When it became cheaper to supply a new medium weight stock over an unissued GI stock, SA Inc switched over. If you really want to try a wide stock, take a look at the one's that come with the Super Match. Stock dimensions are strictly regulated under CMP rules, 6.2.2 of the 11th Edition for the M1A/M14.

Blitzburgh
05-22-2011, 7:54 AM
I got one from Sportsman's Guide and it had a crack up front and putty repairs.

Everything I have ever bought from Sportsman's Guide has ended up in the trash.