PDA

View Full Version : Moss. 500A T.A. Problem

Conley
12-06-2006, 5:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I've recently hit 200+ rounds (I've taken up skeet) and wanted to do a thorough cleaning. I'm having quite a time removing the trigger assembly from the receiver. I've removed the barrel and the T.A. pin (as directed in the manual and other places), but to no avail. It should come out fairly easy when pulling at it from the rear. I've pulled as hard as I could but it just won't drop out. I called Mossberg but they were no help. They said that there MIGHT be some sort of retaining pin inside the assembly that's preventing it from dropping out. WTF? Isn't it SUPPOSED to come out? They also told me to send it in. I'm not all about that, and can't go a month without my baby. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Conley

blkA4alb
12-06-2006, 6:52 PM
I forget if it matters or not for this step but try putting the slide in the halfway position. I've never had a problem stripping my 500 down.

Conley
12-06-2006, 7:03 PM
Sorry, I did forget to mention, I tried putting the forend in every possible position, as well as switching the safety on and off, and even tried pulling the trigger while trying to remove the T.A., to no avail. :mad:

Conley

islandchanel
12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Im pretty sure you probably already did but did you remove the retaining pin?

joel1316
12-07-2006, 8:40 AM
He did.... I just pop out the TA pin and out it comes... I can't remmeber anytime my assembly didn't just plop out?
Sorry I'm no help.

anotherted
12-07-2006, 9:06 AM
Damn, mine comes out no problem. Im sure you read the manual. Keep at it.

Conley
12-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Tried it again this morning, same results. Called local gun shop where I bought the gun and they said to bring it in and they'll take care of it, so I guess that's what I'll do. I just don't understand why it would happen to only my gun. Just my luck I guess. Thanks for the help guys.

Also, I will post the results after the gun shop takes care of it, just in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

Conley

chiefcrash
12-07-2006, 11:15 AM
is the trigger cocked while you try to remove the TA?

JPglee1
12-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Tried it again this morning, same results. Called local gun shop where I bought the gun and they said to bring it in and they'll take care of it, so I guess that's what I'll do. I just don't understand why it would happen to only my gun. Just my luck I guess. Thanks for the help guys.

Try putting the slide exactly in the middle and then move it back slightly.

Ive seen a couple mossies that wouldn't come apart and it was all cuz the slide wasn't EXACTLY where it needed to be....

Other than that, I dunno what to tell you... Maybe heat up the barrel inside the receiver and then quench it with liquid wrench.

I recently had to BEAT a 500 apart cuz it was rusted shut (solid) they can take a lot of abuse when they are sticky.

JP

Conley
12-08-2006, 4:42 PM
Well, I took the gun to my gun shop on my lunch break and the fix was pretty simple. The gunsmith showed me a little pin located at the rear of the trigger assembly that had moved a little. He glued it in place and said it was good to go. Said he'd never seen one move, so I guess it was just my luck. Got it home this evening at the trigger assembly pops out with ease! He also told me NOT to clean or lubricate anything inside the gun except for the barrel (unless it starts acting funny). He said that the Mossberg 500's like to "work dirty" and that the powders of today don't cause much fouling and that the carbon actually helps lubricate. So, I guess I didn't need to take out the T.A. anyways...oh well, at least it works now. :)