View Full Version : Gasblock swap question

12-06-2006, 3:19 PM
Hi -

I did not assemble my own AR, but rather had a friend do it. I wanted to swap out the gasblock (from plain to railed) myself since it seemed easy, maybe learn something, and not bother my friend. However, when I took off the existing one, there's a metal rod in it that I can't remove. Do I...

1. just pull harder!
2. use some technique to get it out that I'm not currently using
3. give up and never try this again
4. get a new metal rod (by the way, what is it called?)

Thanks very much! Sorry for the remedial question. I didn't want to break the thing.


12-06-2006, 3:22 PM
Looks like the gas tube. If I am correct you will need to reinstall it as well. There is a small pin holding the rod in and needs to be removed and reused to install the new gas block.

12-06-2006, 3:32 PM
I see it now. However, it looks like it's more of a micro-ring pin vs. a solid pin. I'm not sure what to push it out with. Ugh.

12-06-2006, 3:52 PM
The thing you called "metal rod" is "gas tube". The gas tube is fixed with gas block by a small pin named "gas tube roll pin".

To remove the gas tube roll pin, you need a proper size roll punch. Fix your gas block/gas tube and use a small hammer and punch to drill the pin out. No matter it is a hollow pin or solid pin, just punch it out.

12-06-2006, 5:21 PM
Got it. Thank you very much.