View Full Version : Is a FFL needed?

05-21-2011, 7:13 AM
Can a rifle be shipped from person to person for work such as painting and bedding, without going thorough a FFL person?

Thx Diego

05-21-2011, 8:57 AM
Yes and you can do it thru the mail. Usually cheaper and faster(if priority mail) than UPS. This is as long as it it is not a registered ***-salt weapon.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-21-2011, 10:17 AM
If you are shipping it to a resident of another State then it has to go through an FFL. So if you were shipping a rifle to a guy in Texas to paint it then that guy would have to have the appropriate type of FFL or you would have to ship it to an FFL in Texas that could transfer it to the guy who is going to paint it. If the guy painting does enough work on firearms then BATF would require him to have his own FFL.

If you are shipping it to a resident of your own State then the Feds do not require an FFL be involved. But California law requires most firearms transfers in California to go through an FFL. There is an exemption for loaning a firearm to somebody "personally known" to you for a period of not more than 30 days. And again, if the guy is doing enough work on firearms the Feds will require that he have an FFL.

05-21-2011, 10:51 AM
A long gun can be shipped or mailed to an FFL gunsmith or manufacturer directly and returned to you the same way both in state and out of state.

05-22-2011, 4:14 PM
These are for long guns? Does anyone know the statue that govern's this?

Mssr. Eleganté
05-22-2011, 8:01 PM
These are for long guns? Does anyone know the statue that govern's this?

Do you want the Federal law, the California law or both? Are you trying to ship it to another California resident or to somebody who is a resident of another State?

05-23-2011, 5:11 AM
from Cali to New Mexico. I guess both laws would apply as well as New Mexico law.

thx Diego

05-23-2011, 6:07 AM
Just as Fjold said, to an FFL holder or manufacturer. It's Federal law. Contact the person doing the work and work out the details. Never send any firearm to an FFL holder without previous arrangements. If they say they do work on firearms, Federal law says they must have an FFL. You can't make income from repairs or modifications or manufacturing of firearms without some form of FFL.