PDA

View Full Version : Customizing My First Mosin :D

Fish-n-Shoot
05-20-2011, 6:55 PM
So i recently traded for a Mosin-Nagant from a fellow Calgunner (Fraggle, great guy) and this being my very first Mosin-Nagant, I decided to make it personal. Sorry to all you purists out there who'll scream Butcherer but inspiration hit me and theres so many of these out there that who'll miss one more. God knows there's enough tactical's out there already hehe. So first off, the stock was pretty beat up. So the stock got my attention right off the bat. I've shot these rifles quite a bit in the past, but never owned one, so for the first hour or so i took it apart completely and put it back together, learning the rifle itself. After that i lay it down and started eyeing it and thinking what could be done. My brother quickly came over with his sketch pad (where he designs all his knives) and started making suggestions. So after seeing what he drew, i changed a bit to my liking, and with a smug smile used the band saw to cut the stock right in half. His mouth took about a minute to close, and it was well worth it. So for the guide rod hole, i widened it with a dremel, then sanded down a wooden dowel and made it a perfect fit and hammered it in. Came out quite perfect if i do say so myself. And i do... hehe. So then the sanding started. 50 grit for getting rid of the scratches and dents, then 80, then 120, then 180, then 220, then 320, then 400, and finally 600. After i started trying to stain it, the stock wouldn't absorb it at all. Way too much oils in the wood and it was all clogged up. So another two hours for steaming it and heating it and sweating it dry. Finally, i got to staining, and it's been drying for two days. Got three coats of laquer on now, and will be shooting it come the weekend. I do have a question for anyone who knows out there. I by no means am done yet, so id like some info or advice on possible mods. First off, i'm contemplating taking it to a gunsmith and having him cut about 4 inches off and re-crowning. How will this affect accuracy and or overall performance. Next, i'm thinking about sanding down with probably about 1200 grit, the entire barrel and reciever area and rebluing. Alot has worn off and i'm thinking i could make it better. And last, i'm planning on getting a scope on it, and obviously bolt will be in the way. I saw the ones ATI and others sell, but what if i take my acytelene, heat up the bolt, and bend it down. Anyone ever tried that? Thanks ahead for any input.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/DSCN2090.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/DSCN2095.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/2011-05-18183222.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/2011-05-18210146.jpg

Fish-n-Shoot
05-20-2011, 6:55 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/2011-05-18222250.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/Mosin001.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/Mosin004.jpg

Fish-n-Shoot
05-20-2011, 6:56 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/Mosin002.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/alexpanchenko15/Mosin003.jpg

Fraggle
05-20-2011, 7:02 PM
WOW! I can't believe that's the stick that was rotting in the back of my closet. It looks great! I can't wait to see what you do next. Don't listen to the haters, this was by no means a collectors item, and you've made it your own. Kudos!

wooger
05-20-2011, 7:06 PM
Wow! I can't believe you have turned an ordinary rifle into a hideous piece of crap.

GDM
05-20-2011, 7:08 PM
Well, as the purist, I say GRILL THE HEATHEN!:grilling: I got to many Mosins and they are crying for their comrade! :chris:

Ok ok got that out of the way!! It looks nice. Stock came out nice. I like the color of it. Looks pretty ineresting :82:

Fish-n-Shoot
05-20-2011, 7:27 PM
Wow! I can't believe you have turned an ordinary rifle into a hideous piece of crap.

:) I have never been happy with ordinary. Why not put some of yourself into things you own. Hehe i did like your post though. Now if only you could give me some of the info i asked for maybe i'd get some use out of you as well :rolleyes:

norcal240
05-20-2011, 7:28 PM
Looked better before.

rattlesnake_nm
05-20-2011, 7:45 PM
You can modify it to cock on the close like an enfield very easily jusy by removing a little of metal from the part behind the bolt body that the firing pin screws into. I think there are some YouTube vids out there floating around showing this mod.

RodFromGod86
05-20-2011, 7:50 PM
It looks like a scaled down punt gun. Pretty cool dude! :D

Fate
05-20-2011, 8:07 PM
Hey you're almost there. Bend down the bolt handle and you'll have 'er complete.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_169/223_24/WANTED_BUBBA-vi.jpg

Flouncer
05-20-2011, 8:45 PM
Ok. Now for the aftermarket barrel in 6mmPPC. :chris:

D3lta58
05-20-2011, 9:04 PM
While that look isn't for me, there is something cool about being able to modify your rifle.

metalliman545
05-21-2011, 4:06 AM
I'm no purist but if I saw you at the range with that I'd instantly start laughing and pointing at you. Great job. Took a 80$ rifle and made it worthless.

Milsurps
05-21-2011, 4:56 AM
I'm no purist but if I saw you at the range with that I'd instantly start laughing and pointing at you. Great job. Took a 80$ rifle and made it worthless.
:eek:

And it's his to do with as he likes.

Geez guys take it easy. If he had posted this in the C&R forum you'd be all over him for that.

OP nice job... On the other side, I'll never sell one of my Mosins to you. ;)

Lucky Scott
05-21-2011, 6:01 AM
Reminds me of the 1970's when I would go to Pep Boys and get all the cool custom stuff for my 1970 Firebird. I made it my own, and was so proud.

Of course, years later I had to pay top price to buy back factory gauges, steering wheel, rims, seats, and motor parts that I threw away or destroyed
to return it to its former glory.

Anybody want to buy a set of mud flaps with yosemite sam telling you to "Back Off"?

TNP'R
05-21-2011, 6:16 AM
awful, you should of stopped when you refinished it.

Capt Jack
05-21-2011, 7:37 AM
While its not something I would have done, being a WW2 buff, if it means that the rifle is taken out and shot versus it sitting in the back of a closet long forgotten then I'm cool with that!

Good job on the refinish too! Now go out and buy a nice stock Moisin and leave it alone! :p

daveinwoodland
05-21-2011, 7:44 AM
As someone once said there are over 17 million of them out there and the Smithsonian isn't going to miss yours. On a side note may I ask for old farts like me to make long posts easier to read place spaces between paragraphs for us?

We're old and you know it's elder abuse otherwise :)

SureShot241
05-21-2011, 7:46 AM
If you would cut down the barrel to "16 then it would look WAY better

daveinwoodland
05-21-2011, 7:47 AM
This makes you realize how truly long the barrel is on Mosins.

plumbum
05-21-2011, 8:50 AM

+1

Actually I did the exact same thing to my brothers mosin about 12 years ago, except the shortest the gunsmith could cut was 19" on his lathe... It's badass looking :43:! I have also have a Turk mauser in a found '98 stock (marked 7.62mm) with a 16.5 barrel somewhere...

Vacaville
05-21-2011, 9:06 AM
I think it came out very nice.

For all the purists out there, I'd rather have a rifle I am happy with than one that is an original condition piece of crap. Can you name a better rifle to bubba than an $89 Mosin Nagant?

Army GI
05-21-2011, 9:30 AM
Excellent job on the refinish. I've refinished some stocks back in the day, but none of them came out looking better the way yours did. Looks nice ;)

Im not a fan of cutting the stock down, though.

TNP'R
05-21-2011, 9:34 AM
I think it came out very nice.

For all the purists out there, I'd rather have a rifle I am happy with than one that is an original condition piece of crap. Can you name a better rifle to bubba than an $89 Mosin Nagant?

What do you mean an original condition piece of crap? Its not a piece of crap because it has dings on it. if that's the case I guess those people that buy 1895 mosins with dings on them should bubba them too.:rolleyes:

Vacaville
05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
What do you mean an original condition piece of crap? Its not a piece of crap because it has dings on it. if that's the case I guess those people that buy 1895 mosins with dings on them should bubba them too.:rolleyes:

I guess I shouldn't have said that an original condition rifle is a piece of crap. What I meant is that, to me, a banged up rifle with a screwed up finish and bluing missing looks like crap. It sure doesn't impress me when someone pulls one out of the safe either. My viewpoint is "Gee, that's too bad it's so beat up." But if someone wants to keep it as is, that is fine with me too. It's none of my business.

Having said that, I do understand leaving a collectible rifle alone. If I had an inkling to go buy a Springfield Trapdoor, I assure you I wouldn't bubba it up. If you look back at my post I was basically saying that if you want to bubba a rifle, you can't find any better than a 91/30 to do it to. Can you buy an 1895 Mosin for $89? Did they make almost 20 million of them, and has the market been saturated with them for years? Probably not. It's a different thing.

Fish-n-Shoot
05-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Lol wow alot of you guys are somethin else. I appreciate that this isn't for everyone though. Personally, i'm planning on owning quite a few Mosin's eventually, and i figured for the first one, i want to make it something that is one of a kind, and my own. It looks amazing in person and i'll see if i can't get some pictures of it in hand. Barrel length isn't a problem, but the crown is a bit scratches so that's the why of my plans for it. When the sun hits it, the color is just amazing though. Personally i love it and that's enough for me :)

TNP'R
05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
I guess I shouldn't have said that an original condition rifle is a piece of crap. What I meant is that, to me, a banged up rifle with a screwed up finish and bluing missing looks like crap. It sure doesn't impress me when someone pulls one out of the safe either. My viewpoint is "Gee, that's too bad it's so beat up." But if someone wants to keep it as is, that is fine with me too. It's none of my business.

Having said that, I do understand leaving a collectible rifle alone. If I had an inkling to go buy a Springfield Trapdoor, I assure you I wouldn't bubba it up. If you look back at my post I was basically saying that if you want to bubba a rifle, you can't find any better than a 91/30 to do it to. Can you buy an 1895 Mosin for $89? Did they make almost 20 million of them, and has the market been saturated with them for years? Probably not. It's a different thing.

I couldn't care less if my dinged up rifle wouldn't impress you or anyone.As long as it shoots i'm happy with it. A person can do whatever they want with their rifle thats they're choice but I wouldn't mess with the stock like that. I'd much rather buy a ATI stock and leave the original stock alone in case I wanted to put it back on the rifle later on.

Noobert
05-21-2011, 10:12 AM
The folks on the 7.62x54r.net forum would like to see this masterpiece!

Army GI
05-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Lol wow alot of you guys are somethin else. I appreciate that this isn't for everyone though. Personally, i'm planning on owning quite a few Mosin's eventually, and i figured for the first one, i want to make it something that is one of a kind, and my own. It looks amazing in person and i'll see if i can't get some pictures of it in hand. Barrel length isn't a problem, but the crown is a bit scratches so that's the why of my plans for it. When the sun hits it, the color is just amazing though. Personally i love it and that's enough for me :)

Glad you're happy :).

morfeeis
05-21-2011, 11:22 AM
have some of you ever heard that saying if you dont have anything nice to say...........

If that rifle is used more by you now that you've made it fit your needs better i say good for you. it's a firearm, it's not a comic book, who cares if it's not from the factory stock. i'd rather have a bubba gun that works well for me then some conversation art that sits somewhere in my home that i just talk how true it is to when it left the factory.....

Grow up some of you

PayThePrice
05-21-2011, 11:42 AM
You did a great job!

MrPlink
05-21-2011, 12:49 PM
so you cut the stock to add a quad rail, right? :p

Fraggle
05-21-2011, 3:41 PM
I started to quote all the hater speak, but i'll just address you all as a single unit of ignorance. Armchair elitism has no place in recreational gunsmithing and/or shooting. To put down such a well done customization with what is essentially "its sucks, you're dumb" posted in a dozen different ways just speaks to being small minded. The rifle was banged up from being shuffled around an armory somewhere for 80 years, no history there, no nothing. Just because something is old, doesn't inherently make it valuable to humanity.

If the furniture was taken off the rifle and put in a fireplace to heat the house i would be happy that it got more use than it was getting rotting away, but to see it beautifully remade into a one off project makes me almost giddy that someone is that passionate about it. Again, kudos to your project.

RawImpact
05-21-2011, 3:46 PM
i'm going to cut up a mosin for every negative post in this thread

GJ op, we're all entitled to customize our firearms.

Fraggle
05-21-2011, 3:53 PM

I doubt he's too interested in the resale value, if losing $100 of retail price is that much of a concern for you, I don't suggest you buy anything! (how much is the last hamburger you ate worth now?). It's about how much you enjoy it. At least that's why I spend money on firearms- to enjoy them, it sounds like you might spend the money to impress people? And if you pointed and laughed at~me~on the range, the rangemaster would kick you out for being a pretentious jerk. Anyhow...

TNP'R
05-21-2011, 5:51 PM
I started to quote all the hater speak, but i'll just address you all as a single unit of ignorance. Armchair elitism has no place in recreational gunsmithing and/or shooting. To put down such a well done customization with what is essentially "its sucks, you're dumb" posted in a dozen different ways just speaks to being small minded. The rifle was banged up from being shuffled around an armory somewhere for 80 years, no history there, no nothing. Just because something is old, doesn't inherently make it valuable to humanity.

If the furniture was taken off the rifle and put in a fireplace to heat the house i would be happy that it got more use than it was getting rotting away, but to see it beautifully remade into a one off project makes me almost giddy that someone is that passionate about it. Again, kudos to your project.

Its ugly. No ignorance or elitism involved in my personal opinion I think its ugly looking. Funny people say we're all entitled to do what we wish with our firearms, its true we are but we'er not allowed to say that we don't like a certain look?

If you think its trolling think again. Is this a group think attitude that if you don't agree that it looks good then you're ignorant and elitist? Yes it is.

So get over it and cry me a river, did he start this thread so everyone can comfort him in "good job" "it looks good" and that sort of thing? If he did then that speaks more about him then it does anyone else. I am assuming he didn't start it for that reason so lay off the people that don't think it looks good.

Fish-n-Shoot
05-21-2011, 5:52 PM
So does anyone have any info or can answer any of my questions at the end of my post? That was my main point in posting and it seems everyone disregards it :)

Fish-n-Shoot
05-21-2011, 5:58 PM
I am assuming he didn't start it for that reason so lay off the people that don't think it looks good.

No i didn't, neither do i discount anything anyone says. Nor does it bother me to be quite honest. Everyone has an opinion, i like it myself, and got to shoot it today, and its accurate as any i've shot, and made me smile more than once, although with 100 rounds downrange, my shoulder is a bit sore. What i will say though is relax and move on ;) you're on the internet on a forum getting worked up over a thread that you need not be involved in. Just gotta relax more and focus on more important things you know :rolleyes:

motorwerks
05-21-2011, 6:04 PM
Wow what a bunch of buttholes. Momma always said if you dont anything nice to say to say anything. That said, I would have left a few more inches on the stock but I think if yo have that barrel cut and crowned at about 18 inches or so it would look MUCH better.

biloutkast
05-21-2011, 6:09 PM
I'm sure they would.;)

The folks on the 7.62x54r.net forum would like to see this masterpiece!

Not my cup of tea but great job OP.

Hardwarejunkie
05-21-2011, 7:15 PM
Hey, I think it looks good! What did you use to stain the stock?
From the first picture I thought it might have been permanganate, but then not so much in the last one.

As far as bending the bolt, yes it can be done with a torch - but you must keep excessive heat away from the locking lugs (edit: oops, I think that is just Mausers).
I've seen various posts on other forums with different techniques like using a special heatsink and forging block to just a wet rag and a hammer.
I think it might come out a little too short for comfort. You can also cut and weld using handles from the usual suppliers.
The ATI bolt handle has a rep for falling off - but it could be welded.
You could also pickup a sniper style bent bolt or send yours off for the conversion.
Do a search for "The Boltman". I think he offers a few different styles.
If you buy a another bolt body you'll have to check the headspace before shooting. GL!

mosinnagantm9130
05-21-2011, 10:41 PM
To put down such a well done customization with what is essentially "its sucks, you're dumb" posted in a dozen different ways just speaks to being small minded.

He cut the stock in half. I wouldn't call that a "well-done customization".

This is a good looking custom:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?216349-Heavily-engraved-Mosin-rifle-pics&p=1751840

Hammertime
05-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Good job refinishing the wood. You're probably going to get a tad more accuracy now that there isn't 4 1/2 pounds of wood covering your barrel. Good job.

7.62 Charlie
05-21-2011, 11:02 PM
It looks nice.
I personally would have bought an aftermarket wood stock and kept the original instead of chopping it up.
Its your gun so you can what you want with it.

straykiller
05-21-2011, 11:07 PM
good refinish job i like the color

whatpain
05-21-2011, 11:16 PM
dude! its almost hard to believe its the same rifle.

Dreaded Claymore
05-21-2011, 11:18 PM
The rifle was banged up from being shuffled around an armory somewhere for 80 years, no history there, no nothing. Just because something is old, doesn't inherently make it valuable to humanity.

Terry Pratchett, in Wintersmith, said something along the lines of this:

Just because a woman is old, doesn't mean she's wise. It could just mean she's been stupid for a very long time.

Fate
05-22-2011, 12:17 AM

If the furniture was taken off the rifle and put in a fireplace to heat the house i would be happy that it got more use than it was getting rotting away, but to see it beautifully remade into a one off project makes me almost giddy that someone is that passionate about it. Again, kudos to your project.Haha, you actually believe that?

Ryan in SD
05-22-2011, 12:55 AM

Agreed, shorter is good, maybe start off at 10" off the end and see if things start to balance out.

Overall good job, I like the wood finish too.

Note, the negative comments are pathetic, made by pathetic people trying to inflate their flat egos by making others feel lesser. Typical human behavior.

Merc1138
05-22-2011, 1:39 AM
The short stock looks... blech.

The finish looks good though. Just that stock, even once the barrel gets cut down looks... weird.

All of the crying in this thread over what someone else has done with their own money/property/time. Typical, and it isn't even in the c&r forum where I'd expect to see it. Sorry, your $100 mosin isn't a collectible museum-piece, and neither is the one that belongs to the OP(the difference is that the OP was aware of that). The mosin isn't representative of anything to me as an American, and even if it were a rifle used by our anyone in our history, it's still the OPs rifle nor is it rare. Heck, even the comments about it losing it's value, so what? It hasn't lost any value to the OP, he's still going to use it as a rifle. Personally I don't find myself caring about the resale value of any of my firearms because I don't buy guns to keep pretty as use as investments. If I put an extra ding in them or decide to change their configuration, so what. If I ever did buy a gun as a collectible/investment, it sure in the hell wouldn't be a mosin.

One guy even said he'd laugh at the OP if he saw that at the range. Really? You'd walk up to someone at the range and seriously laugh in their face because of what they have with them? I don't believe that for a second. Way to go, you "won" at talking big anonymously on the internet.

Etihtsarom
05-22-2011, 2:31 AM
I don't get why people think these guns are of value. Their value is $89. Collector's item? REALLY? Keep-it-for-1000-years-and-it'll-reach-$95-value-collector's-item?
The gun looks like crap, it is the cheapest gun on the market. I like shooting the gun, it's accurate, it's fun, but ya know what? It's still a $89 gun.
Get over it, you don't own a piece of history, you have no connection to the gun, you(and millions others) bought the damn thing at Big5 with spare change in the couch cushion, don't go running off on your high horse when some one else decides to change the gun to their liking.

I'm gonna chop this collector's item up and modify the hell out of it to make it better to shoot, and if that doesn't work out, I'll throw it away.
May be it's just the beer or late hours, but the OP probably should chop the barrel also it looks weird afterwards hehe.

Fate
05-22-2011, 9:44 AM
I don't get why people think these guns are of value. Their value is $89. Collector's item? REALLY? Keep-it-for-1000-years-and-it'll-reach-$95-value-collector's-item?
The gun looks like crap, it is the cheapest gun on the market. I like shooting the gun, it's accurate, it's fun, but ya know what? It's still a $89 gun.
Get over it, you don't own a piece of history, you have no connection to the gun, you(and millions others) bought the damn thing at Big5 with spare change in the couch cushion, don't go running off on your high horse when some one else decides to change the gun to their liking.

I'm gonna chop this collector's item up and modify the hell out of it to make it better to shoot, and if that doesn't work out, I'll throw it away.
May be it's just the beer or late hours, but the OP probably should chop the barrel also it looks weird afterwards hehe.

People said the EXACT same thing about Springfields, Krags, K98s and G-41/43s back in the 1950s. Such thinking regarding a finite resource is myopic.

mosinnagantm9130
05-22-2011, 12:15 PM

:rofl:

Funny, I've found a couple of rare mosins for $100.

And I believe the same arguments were made about the carbines too...good luck finding an M38 for under $200 these days, and M44's aren't far behind.

dfxjedi
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Since there are so many mosins available I have no problem if people want to change/modify there mosin(s).
I do think it looks better with the original stock setup though.

TNP'R
05-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Couldn't care less about the historical aspect of the rifle, I just think it looks ugly, the finish is good though he did an excellent job on it. I think if he would of kept it the original way with refinishing it, it would of been a whole lot better looking.