PDA

View Full Version : Dec. 7th Server Migration

Kestryll
12-06-2006, 1:56 PM
Hello all,
I just received an email from the hosting company, they are migrating their VPS servers to a new location. The move will begin around 21:30 7 December and is expected to be less than two hours. The email lists specific servers so I called them to find out if we are mong those being moved. I was told that all the VPS servers are being moved and he assured me that it would go flawlessly. I hope he is right.
I am still debating whether to move to another VPS hosting company in the future or not, the current host lost points by suspending the site without notice shortly after the change and while somewhat reasonable there are better deals out there. On the other hand they've been stable ever since the VPS switch and phone support has been pretty quick and solid. We'll see how the migration goes, price is important but tertiary to stability and support.

Kest

Here is a copy of the email I received:
Hello,

As you're likely aware, we're currently in the middle of our datacenter migration in Chicago. All of our servers are being migrated to a new datacenter that gives us increased capacity, and allows us to have technicians onsite 24 hours a day. Additionally, we have built a new network at the new datacenter that gives us additional bandwidth providers, and increased network capacity.

Tomorrow evening at 11:30PM, the following servers will be migrated to the new datacenter:
vz17
vz12
vz13
vz14
vz15
vz10
vz11
vz9
vz5

The new datacenter is less than one mile from the current facility, and we are expecting less than two hours of overall downtime. As your server is re-racked at the new facility, you will immediately be powered on, so for most the downtime will be much less than that.

We thank you for your patience, and continued business. As always, please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

762cavalier
12-06-2006, 3:40 PM
OH NO not again:D I hope the move goes flawlessly Kestryll, but if it doesn't I say thats strike three and they're out. I can't go another couple of days without Calguns the last time nearly killed me:D

Zwingli
12-06-2006, 3:56 PM
On Pearl Harbor day? That doesn't sound good?

VeryCoolCat
12-06-2006, 7:17 PM
TWO HOURS?!?! WHAT EVER WILL WE DO :eek:

grammaton76
12-07-2006, 5:10 PM
Simple... if you guys are really worried about it, we'll set up a "calguns is down" article on thegunwiki. If I get a call from Bill or something, it'll get updated.

Now, whether that's worth doing for a two hour window... probably not. :)

But if something you guys are really that worried about, it could be done.

Edit: I've put a note at the URL below. If I hear updates that go bad or something, they'll be going on this page: http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/ForumLinks

Kestryll
12-07-2006, 5:31 PM
Just for the record, I did not ask for this move nor am I doing it so if anything goes wrong, in the words of Han Solo...
It's not my fault!!

:D

xenophobe
12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Wow... I guess it went flawlessly. I didn't even see this till today. :p ;)

Kestryll
12-08-2006, 11:03 PM
I think the tech on the phone fibbed.
The email listed specific servers and ours is not on the list.
When I called they said all the servers are being moved including ours.

I suspect we will be moved in the near future but we'll see.

acegunnr
12-09-2006, 2:11 AM
I think the tech on the phone fibbed.
The email listed specific servers and ours is not on the list.
When I called they said all the servers are being moved including ours.

I suspect we will be moved in the near future but we'll see.

TWO WEEKS!