PDA

View Full Version : Buy Pakistani ammo - support terrorism?

Ubergeek
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Surplus 7.62 x 51 has been pretty hard to come by lately, and some Pakistani stuff has just appeared on the market. Bear in mind the Pakistanis have been and currently are funneling arms to the Taliban. Despite the assurances from their current dictator, they are _not_ an ally.

saki302
12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Judging by how 'high quality' the old Indian surplus was, I would have serious doubts feeding this stuff through my finer rifles.

-Dave

Ubergeek
12-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Judging by how 'high quality' the old Indian surplus was, I would have serious doubts feeding this stuff through my finer rifles.

-Dave

I wouldn't put it beyond the Pakistanis to overcharge a few rounds for grins in hopes that it'll cause some infidel to suffer a kB.

BigMac
12-06-2006, 2:14 PM
Who had it my 1919 loves it.

gunluvver
12-06-2006, 2:48 PM
For you supporters of the Taliban, Widener's has it for $229/k +s/h and Aim has it for $220 + s/h. I just backordered 1k of Wolf .308 from Sportsman's Guide and it will ship for just under $190. That's with Buyers Club and coupon discounts. Let's see if I get it. Cheaper than Dirt has Silver Bear for $250/k, less if you're a member of their club. .308 is at ridiculus prices. SA is going for $400/k in places! I've got a bunch of CAVIM set away for the good fight, the Wolf will be for play. I have an STG58 on a GL Imbel receiver, a Yugo M90, and am soon building a CETME. Lotsa rapidfire, high cap, free-state mags to feed!

Whitesmoke
12-06-2006, 5:05 PM
Is the Pakistani 308 brass cased or steel?

gunluvver
12-06-2006, 6:11 PM
Is the Pakistani 308 brass cased or steel?
It's brass.

Hunter
12-06-2006, 6:43 PM
Here is the review of it http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6990

TEST RESULT: 12/3/06. This ammo fired without a hitch in our Springfield M1A, FNFAL 11" machine gun, and our Arlington Ordnance "Tanker" garand in .308". (about 100 rounds in each,) In the FNFAL machine gun, it fired flawlessly even on full auto and the M1A had flawless function and very good accuracy for military ammo. However, in our standard SA58 FNFAL by D&S, it failed to eject, leaving the case in the chamber about every 10 rounds. NOW, this could be the ammo or our gun, I don't know which. We will measure the depth of the extractor groove on the ammo tomorrow and look at our well worn SA58 extractor. Or, it may be that our chamber is very tight. This ammo is for the British L1 and L2 rifle, so possibly the L1 extractor is needed, we just don't know. In any event, you should sample this ammo before buying large amounts to see that it functions in your gun. If you have used it before, then buy it. It is in good shape.

titan
12-06-2006, 8:31 PM
I don't think it's going to get any cheaper and heck, I can't even reload for .25 cents per round. It's not Port or SA, but it goes bang!

Whitesmoke
12-06-2006, 10:43 PM
I don't think it's going to get any cheaper and heck, I can't even reload for .25 cents per round. It's not Port or SA, but it goes bang!

:confused: I reload match ammo with match 168 gr bullets in .308 for .25 cents a round..... but I look for deals and buy powder 8 lbs at a time and use surplus powder when possible.

I can do it for less than that with surplus bullets and canister power bought one pound at a time.

svenu
12-06-2006, 11:01 PM
You guys factor your time into the cost of that handloaded ammo? :)

Whitesmoke
12-07-2006, 4:49 AM

No..because it's fun :D .

But seriously...for match ammo even with the time factored in you save money. Look at this link:

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_308.htm

Federal Gold Medal Match is $425 for 500 rounds ($17 a box). Thats $850 for 1000 rounds!!! And thats a GOOD deal. It costs $28 for a box of 20 around here.

Even factoring in buying all "new" once fired brass every time I reload (And I actually get about 4-5 reloads out of mine)... and buying canister powder instead if surplus I can reload 1000 rounds of match ammo for under $400 compared to $850. And really it's much cheaper than that when you reuse brass.

insin
12-07-2006, 2:40 PM
How long would it take you to reload 1000 rounds? If you are saving $450 dollars, then I might consider it if the whole 1000 could be done in less then 8 hours. Otherwise when you factor in time, it is not worth it. At least in my case it wouldnt be.

Whitesmoke
12-07-2006, 3:22 PM
As long as you are using a progressive machine...you can do it in half that time. It really just depends on the reloader though....I wouldn't expect a guy brand new to reloading to do that though, there IS a learning curve to the whole thing. And you need to enjoy the process...or you probably won't do it enough to get it all the bugs worked out.

I use a pretty cheap progressive machine (Lee Loadmaster)....and it was a pain to get all the bugs worked out at first. If you don't enjoy the process...you probably will give up on the whole thing before you become pretty proficient with your machine. Plus...I DO NOT recommend a progressive machine for a guy thats learning to reload.

Pistol ammo is alot faster to reload...I can do 400-500 rounds an hour of 45 colt (another expensive type of ammo). I only reload for ammo that is expensive....I just buy my 40 s&w, .223, etc where ever is cheapest or mil-surp.

somekevinguy
12-07-2006, 9:43 PM
I am usually bummed out when I finish loading all my ammo because I think it is very fun also. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a progressive press.

M1A_KICHI
12-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't have time to spare to reload. I will one day but im glad i have 3k of SA and Argentine. I ordered some Paki a few days ago to try out. I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to sell me two cases of Hert her dad had but he passed away.

boosterboy
12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Bill told me to never buy ammo from a country that ****s in their own water supply.:D

ivanimal
12-09-2006, 10:14 PM

I do when I knock down a deer or pig. I say Damn good use of time I gotta reload some more. Screw workin!:D