PDA

View Full Version : Fixed mag question

gmcem50
12-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Can my fixed mag rifle be built with a 20 or 30 round mag as long as I legally own the mags, or does it have to be a 10 rounder?

luvtolean
12-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Nope.

Has to be a 10 round or less.

Joe
12-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Nope.

Has to be a 10 round or less.

Correct

gmcem50
12-06-2006, 11:38 AM
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Oh well, the 'good' mags will just get used in the gripless version.:D

blkA4alb
12-06-2006, 2:15 PM
Just because its always nice to see the actual law.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

jumbopanda
12-06-2006, 2:29 PM
So remember, if you're using a 20 or 30 round mag with your gun, you better make DAMN SURE it's detachable! :D

Pryde
12-06-2006, 2:54 PM
Theoretically,
If you owned the mag before 2000, couldn't you block off the mag to hold only 10 rounds with say a piece of wood or aluminum and put it on your fixed mag rifle?

You own the high cap magazine legally so you are not manufacturing anything illegal, and it would take a complete dissassembly of the rifle and magazine to make it capable of accepting 10+ rounds, in which case if you wanted to break the law it would be easier just to convert it to detachable mags.

Any thoughts? This has been on my mind for awhile.

gose
12-06-2006, 2:55 PM
Theoretically,
If you owned the mag before 2000, couldn't you block off the mag to hold only 10 rounds with say a piece of wood or aluminum and put it on your fixed mag rifle?
You own the high cap magazine legally so you are not manufacturing anything illegal, and it would take a complete dissassembly of the rifle and magazine to make it capable of accepting 10+ rounds, in which case if you wanted to break the law it would be easier just to convert it to detachable mags.

As long as the alteration is permanent. "Blocking" with a piece of wood or aluminum is hardly permanent though.

JPglee1
Theoretically,

Ive heard there are some people on this board selling magazines permanently blocked, as you describe...so yes it would be legal.

The key word is PERMANENT. If you block a mag down to 10rds and its not PERMANENT you run the risk of "manufacturing" a new hicap magazine should the block ever become removed.

JP

blkA4alb
Theres no reason to do that when Cproducts offers exctily what you would make but much safer legally. Magazines have to have a level of permanance that you would have to destroy the mag to convert it back to full capacity. Bill has a much more detailed post about this.

gose
12-06-2006, 2:58 PM
So for the sake of the discussion... if you have a legal high cap, you can permanently alter it to only take 10 rounds and fix it to a rifle, but are you allowed to buy a new mag body for that mag when it no longer is in the rifle and return it to high cap? :)

JPglee1
12-06-2006, 2:59 PM
but are you allowed to buy a new mag body for that mag when it no longer is in the rifle and return it to high cap? :)

NO, that would be manufacturing an additional hicap magazine that you didn't own before.

JP

gose
12-06-2006, 3:13 PM
NO, that would be manufacturing an additional hicap magazine that you didn't own before.
JP
Well, you did own a high cap BEFORE turning said mag into a low cap, but now you want to return it to high cap status.

blkA4alb
12-06-2006, 3:15 PM
Well, you did own a high cap BEFORE turning said mag into a low cap, but now you want to return it to high cap status.
No, for the same reasons that if you have preban links you shouldn't shoot them below 10 rounds.

JOEKILLA
12-06-2006, 3:23 PM
Why destroy a perfectly good hi-cap mag if a 10/30 is readily available. Just go gripless and use the hi-caps.

Pryde
12-06-2006, 4:06 PM
Ive heard there are some people on this board selling magazines permanently blocked, as you describe...so yes it would be legal.

The key word is PERMANENT. If you block a mag down to 10rds and its not PERMANENT you run the risk of "manufacturing" a new hicap magazine should the block ever become removed.

JP

So if I am reading you right:
If you change the magazine capacity to 10 rounds on a legally owned preban hi-cap and you change it back to 20 rounds via a "temporary fix" like a wood block, it is manufacturing a high cap?

Anyone else have opinions?

gose
12-06-2006, 4:43 PM
If you change the magazine capacity to 10 rounds on a legally owned preban hi-cap and you change it back to 20 rounds via a "temporary fix" like a wood block, it is manufacturing a high cap?

I doubt that, since a wood block wouldn't be permanently changing it to 10 rounds. However, if you use your wood block 10 rounder in a OLL build you most likely committed a felony.
If you permanently change a high cap to 10 rounds it would bring the mag to low cap status. If you then replace the mag body to regain high cap status you just manufactured a new illegal high cap.

blkA4alb
12-06-2006, 5:50 PM

That is correct, as I said above. Use the example of links, you should not shoot the last 10 rounds off of a preban link since when you relink it you would be manufactoring a high capacity magazine.

tenpercentfirearms
12-06-2006, 7:25 PM
Until you alter the magazine to permanently hold 10 rounds, it is still high cap. Once you permantently alter it, then you technically can't go back. Again, this is a big gray area because who certifies you took your high cap, made it a low cap, and can't go back again? :confused: