PDA

View Full Version : my shotgun has claimed its first victim

Socal858
12-06-2006, 12:07 PM
so when i pulled my benelli out last night to drop some oil into the necessary places i set my case down on the carpet.

this morning i wake up to find where i set my case i had squashed a giant spider the size of a dime.

gun cases are more dangerous than guns, spread the news:(

Joe
12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
so when i pulled my benelli out last night to drop some oil into the necessary places i set my case down on the carpet.

this morning i wake up to find where i set my case i had squashed a giant spider the size of a dime.

"giant spider the size of a dime"

Hahaha. I can tell from that statement that you are afraid of spiders.

chiefcrash
12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
giant spider the size of a dime

clearly you've never been to texas...

Bishop
12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm afraid of spiders, but I've felt a bit better about them after my friend told me a story of when he was backpacking through Brazil. The road was blocked for some reason, and his bus would be delayed until the next day. The next town wasn't too many miles (kilometers :) ) off, so he decided to walk. While walking through some dense brush he was enjoying the scenery, and walked into a spider web. When he hit the spider web he stopped. Not like "Whoops, I walked into a spider web, let me pause to get it off of me." He stopped like he walked into a wall, and was impressively stuck. Once he realized that he had actually walked into a spider web, he freaked and flailed and danced and got all the webbing off of himself.

He took a picture of the spider that was up in the tree above the web, but I can't find it. THAT was a big spider.

I'm still afraid of spiders, I'm just more selective about my fear. If I can step on it without it bucking me off, and running away; I don't mind it.

VeryCoolCat
12-06-2006, 1:32 PM
I'm afraid of spiders to a lesser extent.... its the 3" long x 2" wide city cockroaches that scare the crap outa me.

You can step on these suckers and they don't die.... you really have to mash them with you're weight.

Well like they say :D

If you killed it... you gotta eat it :D

rorschach
12-06-2006, 1:34 PM
A long time ago in Okinawa, after relieving myself in the jungle, I looked down and this gigantic daddy longlegs was perched on my stomach, slowly pulsating up and down. This damn near made me relieve myself from the other end. In one swift movement I slapped that sucker off and it made a loud THUD as it hit the deck.

Socal858
12-06-2006, 1:41 PM
its body was the size of a dime. legs were a lil bigger

i am from north texas lol (but i guess besides snakes we didnt really get pests wher ei was from)

Ubergeek
12-06-2006, 2:07 PM

"Arachnid-American killed in act of gun-case violence."

I'm certain that a million of them will be marching on Capitol Hill in hopes of getting gun cases banned.

Scarecrow Repair
12-06-2006, 3:14 PM
While in the Navy in Yokosuka Japan, someone found a centipede and put it in a mayonaise size glass jar with some holes in the lid for air. I swear the body segments were an inch in diameter, and the whole body was so long that it was bent double in the jar.

Its "guardian" taped the jar to an overhead I beam and in the morning, the lid was off and the jar was empty.

Bishop
12-06-2006, 6:15 PM
Its "guardian" taped the jar to an overhead I beam and in the morning, the lid was off and the jar was empty.

Talking about something like this?
http://markmlucas.com/images/invertabrates/amazon%20giant%201.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

FatKatMatt
12-06-2006, 7:09 PM
This thread freaks me out so much. That picture scares me man, I hate spiders more than anything.

ivanimal
12-06-2006, 7:55 PM
OK ill cop to it. I am so afraid of spiders and creepy crawlers, its sad. I was bitten as a child and never grew out of my phobia. I mash them and scream GOTCHA every time I get one. I have a racket at home that electrocutes them, it makes a snapping noise every time you fry one up. My wife and child hunt them down and I jolt them! My motto is the family that slays together stays together. My son blew up a quarter sized Black Widow with his airsoft AK-47, it was a proud day here at ivanimal's house.:D

mur
12-06-2006, 8:18 PM

Gun cases don't kill spiders, people DO:)

slick_711
12-06-2006, 9:16 PM
I'd like to think I'm not afraid of them, I don't scream and flail when I see them, but I sure as heck do not enjoy them, and kill them any & every time I see them @ my home (without touching them of course).

I was in TX over Thanksgiving visiting my family that recently moved there from CA, and while out shooting with some new friends of theirs in the woods of SE Texas I walked down to replace the targets I had been shooting at with my LAR-15 (open mag in TX woot) ... while I was down there I saw the biggest spider I've ever seen in person in my whole life, it was about silver dollar sized body, and with the legs it was about as big around as the diameter of a baseball, maybe a little bigger. I promptly walked back to the shooting bench and then returned to mr.spider with an 870 and 2 rounds of #7. Needless to say I felt much better about myself, and then realized I was wearing low cut tennis shoes and he probably wasn't alone.

((sprint back to high ground where the grass was cut low))

Scarecrow Repair
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
No. The one he had had distinct body segments, almost like green(? been a while) ping pong balls, but not that big. Maybe the size of quarters? Round, and I swear like pearls on a string they were so separate, gave me the heebie jeebies. I was on a 3 month mess duty which ended that day, just good dumb luck I moved out that morning and I was sure glad to. 5000 sailors on a ship, bound to be a few crazies :-)

that's one crazy picture. Is it your hand? Someone's got more brass than a firing range.

jumbopanda
12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Spiders don't scare me, they're one of the least disturbing insects to me. I don't like large beetles and those huge centipedes and millipedes REALLY freak me out though. If I saw one in front of me, I'd probably shoot it. :eek:

Socal858
12-07-2006, 1:01 AM
OK ill cop to it. I am so afraid of spiders and creepy crawlers, its sad. I was bitten as a child and never grew out of my phobia. I mash them and scream GOTCHA every time I get one. I have a racket at home that electrocutes them, it makes a snapping noise every time you fry one up. My wife and child hunt them down and I jolt them! My motto is the family that slays together stays together. My son blew up a quarter sized Black Widow with his airsoft AK-47, it was a proud day here at ivanimal's house.:D

i know EXACTLY about the racket you are referencing!! its the big yellow kind. its so fun zapping mosquitoes wtih that thing in the summertime

im usually not afraid of spiders (and this one only died from bad luck), i just shovel them on a piece of paper and let them out the front door; i dont like killing things (yeah i sound like a *****).

cnyankee
12-07-2006, 5:30 PM
spiders and bugs have never bothered me. infact when i find one inside i usually catch it and set it outside....now SNAKES on the other hand i cant stand.....with most it seems to be one or the other

Stuka
12-07-2006, 6:15 PM
Boy, hate to see how you would react if you found one of these in your house (which do live here in California, they are all over around here in the fall)

http://www.deserttortoise.org/image/2003cat5.jpg

ivanimal
12-07-2006, 6:21 PM
Boy, hate to see how you would react if you found one of these in your house (which do live here in California, they are all over around here in the fall)

http://www.deserttortoise.org/image/2003cat5.jpg

Skin, please stop crawling

Ivanimal.

Sugarfoot47
12-08-2006, 2:36 PM

http://www.deserttortoise.org/image/2003cat5.jpg Fall is the mating season for the tarantulas so I occasionally see some wandering males on the trail at a park which I take my dogs to. During that time I wouldn't pick them up because they tend to get a little onry when they're trying to concentrate on gett'in some. Alot of times it isn't getting bit that would concern you, but rather the small hairs on their back ends that they spray at you by vibrating their abdomens at a rapid rate and would get in your sinuses and irritate them....sort of like pepper spray. My terrier found out the hard way and doesn't bother them anymore.

Aluisious
12-08-2006, 2:47 PM
Y'know by the time one of those things gets big enough that it has hair longer than I do, I stop thinking of it as a spider and more as a freakish kind of poisonous bear with too many legs.

I hate spiders. I don't squish 'em, I try to trap and release, mostly because I don't want to deal with spider guts. I also respect them but I hate them.

Aluisious
12-08-2006, 2:49 PM
spiders and bugs have never bothered me. infact when i find one inside i usually catch it and set it outside....now SNAKES on the other hand i cant stand.....with most it seems to be one or the other
Funny, you're right there. I hate spiders and bugs but snakes don't phase me at all...as long as they aren't visibly mad at me (wouldn't find me wrestling a rattler).

Aluisious
12-08-2006, 2:52 PM
http://markmlucas.com/images/invertabrates/amazon%20giant%201.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:
When I saw that picture I recoilled in horror and grabbed the back of my head and my face.

bu-bye
12-08-2006, 3:28 PM
I hope you had a tag for that spider!:cool:

I don't mind spiders that much. Once i was driving home from work and listening to some tunes. My focus was in front of me down the street as normal. I notice my vision get a little blurry in my right eye. I blink a couple times but its still blurry. My eye then change focus and I see this big quarter size spider hanging from a web right in front of my eye. I freaked out and almost crash my car. That was the only time I really freaked out because of a spider:eek: . My heart was beating a mile a minute the whole way home. I knocked the spider away but never found it. Its been almost two years since so I hope its dead.

Aluisious
12-08-2006, 3:49 PM
I hope you had a tag for that spider!:cool:

I don't mind spiders that much. Once i was driving home from work and listening to some tunes. My focus was in front of me down the street as normal. I notice my vision get a little blurry in my right eye. I blink a couple times but its still blurry. My eye then change focus and I see this big quarter size spider hanging from a web right in front of my eye. I freaked out and almost crash my car. That was the only time I really freaked out because of a spider:eek: . My heart was beating a mile a minute the whole way home. I knocked the spider away but never found it. Its been almost two years since so I hope its dead.
Burn the car...

robairto
12-08-2006, 7:37 PM
There should be a season on them and a bonus for those that bag them.
I don't like the bugs!!

joe_sun
12-09-2006, 1:03 AM
If that centipede was in my house.. there would be holes in the walls from my 12 gauge.

kilword
12-09-2006, 2:12 AM
camel spiders?
http://www.thefunnypage.com/camel-spiders/spider.jpg

kilword
12-09-2006, 2:15 AM
or the lovely bird eating, size of a dinner plate, goliath spider
http://www.extremescience.com/images/goliath-plate.gif

12-09-2006, 8:01 PM
I agree. You don't squish spiders that big. You shoot them!

fastsvt1998
12-10-2006, 6:07 PM
or the lovely bird eating, size of a dinner plate, goliath spider
http://www.extremescience.com/images/goliath-plate.gif

Those things sun themselves on a road by my house. I hit one once with my Xterra and I swear I ran over a squirel the way the tire thumped!

whit
12-10-2006, 6:24 PM
I was tooling down the two lane in the middle of the Panamint Valley one fine sunny, Hot, day - prob doing about 70 or so, and I saw a spider in the road that was big enough to see at 70 mph, which is pretty large!

Backed up and stopped with the front driver's side tire right next to it and hopped out the passenger side and ran around the truck and took a pic.

The body was almost as big as my hand, with a distinct spade shape to it and real flat - not like a tarantula, or a goliath.

not sure what it was, the legs were really long and slender, the whole thing was a good bit bigger than my hand if you include the legs, and it looked like it could run you down and bite you on the neck if it wanted.

I don't mind bugs and snakes at all, but I must say that I was real cautious around this baby. Wish I knew where the pic was.

Another time in Saline Valley I was in one of the hot tubs with some other folks, and about the time I was getting out, a fella said, "Oh! I think I saw a scorpion go in your shorts!"

Sure enough, when I shook them out, about a 4-incher or so dropped out ready for battle. Unfortunately he wasn't ready for battle with a size 11 jungle boot!

I thanked the guy for telling, but told him in the future I would REALLY appreciate it if he would let me know a little earlier!

I don't even WANT to think about getting stung down there!

Whit

shark92651
12-11-2006, 7:44 AM
camel spiders?
http://www.thefunnypage.com/camel-spiders/spider.jpg

Ug. I've never seen that photo before so I did a quick search:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

CALI-gula
12-11-2006, 2:41 PM
I caught this "little" Black Widow a couple of years ago, out near the curb of my previous house, where in over 10 years I had never seen a single Black Widow. As you can see, it was so large, its leg-span filled up the whole bottom of one of those Starbucks' mocha latte-coffee bottles. The large round abdomen section alone was about the diameter of a concord grape, maybe a 1/2" across. I put it in a 5 gallon glass jug and kept this one as a pet for a little while, feeding it crickets and the occasional outdoor roach (the large garden variety). It thrived on them and built intricate funnel shaped webs. It would clean itself like a cat, and would actually stalk its prey like a hunter. I let it go in a wooded area of Hollywood before moving.

Watching this one, I gained a whole new respect for the intelligence of spiders. But respect or not, Black Widows are nasty, and can infest your yard, sometimes under your house. They like building webs in corners and at the base of walls, or between stacks of wood or bricks. They really only come out at night, unless under something which gives them shade; then they will hang out all day. They hate the sun, and they will rarely ever build a web in the common living areas of your house.

This one was really a rarety and I was fascinated, but since moving to my new house two years ago, I found them to be quite common in my new neighborhood. I've completely eradicated them off my property with spray and spider hunts each spring, but my neighbors have neglected to do so, therefore I still see a few from time to time on the boundaries of my property or throughout the neighborhood. There is nothing like crawling under your car to install a custom stainless exhaust you just finished building, or installing anti-sway bars or something chassis oriented, and sticking your hand right into a Black Widow's web - with one in it!! This happens so often, I now blow out the bottom of the car with a leaf blower before I crawl under it. Needles to say, I now kill them without a second thought, and can't stand that they exist at all.

I thought this was one of the largest I had ever seen until this past summer, when I found 2 in my back-yard that were nearly double the size of this one. Both were dead as fast as I found them.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/CALI-gula/ReadyformycloseupMr.jpg

kilword
12-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Ug. I've never seen that photo before so I did a quick search:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

Yea its a close up pic but they can get really big for a bug

prebans
12-14-2006, 1:58 PM
clearly you've never been to texas...

...or Arizona.

Mike