View Full Version : AR15 ejection problem

reloader 75
05-20-2011, 1:56 PM
Okay you gurus, I need some help. I built my first AR in 7.62x39. After monkeying around with the 2 crappy mags from CP, it was feeding and ejecting flawlessly (well, at least ejecting), but I was having multiple light primer strikes. With some input from this forum, I replaced the hammer spring with a heavy duty and also an "enhanced firing pin" (which was .014 SHORTER than the original?). It now fires every time, with two different kinds of brass ammo and all Wolf as well, but it doesn't even TRY to eject now. I mean the BCG doesn't appear to move at all, so I have to manually eject each one.....not much fun. A few cases were stuck in the chamber and were tough to get the latch back, but the rest came right out manually.
Just in case the new hammer spring was TOO strong, I put the original back in, but still the same problem (it appears the firing pin fixed the light primer strikes). I figured I must have done something stupid, but I can't find anything wrong, and all my books and dvd aren't any help. This gun has had less than 200 rounds thru it so far. Any and all ideas would be welcome.

05-20-2011, 2:00 PM
What ammo are you using?

05-20-2011, 2:37 PM
Check gas system or lube it to death and try again.

05-20-2011, 3:18 PM
Russian primers are hard to crack. Light primer strikes will go away when You get a heavy hammer spring. That is why the S&W 5.45x39 upper comes with a heavy hammer spring to go in Your lower.

Edit: Sorry I missed the last part. Gas leak? Make sure the roll pin for the gas tube is in place. I am stumped.

05-20-2011, 3:55 PM
Sorry for your troubles.....on the "bright side" tell the wife it doesn't work anymore and you need to buy a new rifle :)

05-20-2011, 5:03 PM
your BCG is not moving... your gas tube is upside down or plugged. did you at some point remove it?

05-20-2011, 5:48 PM
BCG not moving is more than likely a gas issue either the gas isnt getting there sufficiently or its not interacting with the bolt correctly.

Make sure your gas tube is installed correctly and there are no obstructions.

Make sure your carrier key isnt loose.

Check if all 3 gas rings are on your bolt and they are timed correctly.

Last, check for excessive binding in the BCG and upper with it off the lower.

If all this checks out your gas port may be undersized/in the wrong location for the gas block or the gas block is defective.